Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Re: Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode

Post by JoeK64 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm

For the most part, the computer doesn't shut down when I'm on the internet, but I've had problems before with this same issue. The first time this happened to me, it got so bad that it would shut off constantly within a few minutes whether the computer was hot or cold. I took it to a shop to be repaired and they did a clean install, but instead of using Vista proprietary to Acer(I have a Aspire 5520-5912 laptop) I believe they used a version meant for Dell computers. It also came preloaded and I am unable to get another copy of it from Acer on disk. In addition, I always used an additional computer fan to keep the CPU as cool as possible, and now my Outlook program doesn't work because I used Revo Uninstaller to delete Firefox. I really don't know what to do anymore...

JoeK64
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 32
Joined Joined : 2009-04-22
OS OS : Windows 7
Points Points : 27909
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeK64 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:38 pm

One last thing that I forgot to mention - I ran a full scan with Avira in regular mode yesterday and the machine didn't shut off, but it did shut off when I ran Avira in safe mode.

JoeK64
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:09 pm

If it happens during various stages then I don't think it has to do with malware. Only 4 possibilities I could think of:

1. Overheating
2. Faulty power supply unit (PSU)
3. Faulty motherboard
4. Corrupted Windows, but still, I have never heard of a corrupted Windows shutting down by itself.

This may not be the best solution, but I recommend performing a format of Windows, since there's nothing else to try.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 12017
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104594

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeK64 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm beginning to agree with you, and I'd like to do the reformat since it's the only option that I have. I ran the online scan from ESET yesterday and it showed no signs of any threats, and I ran Malwarebytes again in Safe Mode and it completed the full scan with no infections, but the computer did shut down one time when I rebooted to regular mode. The problem with the reformat is that I tried to contact Acer and they couldn't(or wouldn't) help me because my computer is out of warranty, and I really cannot afford to buy a copy of Vista to do a reformat or clean install at this time because I am unemployed at this time. If you know of any other options, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

JoeK64
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AuroraRange on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:42 pm

@JoeK64 wrote:I'm beginning to agree with you, and I'd like to do the reformat since it's the only option that I have. I ran the online scan from ESET yesterday and it showed no signs of any threats, and I ran Malwarebytes again in Safe Mode and it completed the full scan with no infections, but the computer did shut down one time when I rebooted to regular mode. The problem with the reformat is that I tried to contact Acer and they couldn't(or wouldn't) help me because my computer is out of warranty, and I really cannot afford to buy a copy of Vista to do a reformat or clean install at this time because I am unemployed at this time. If you know of any other options, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
linux is freeware

AuroraRange
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 507
Joined Joined : 2008-08-22
OS OS : Xubuntu & Windows 7
Points Points : 30779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeK64 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 am

Aurora Range:

Sounds interesting - I always wanted to learn Linux anyway. I'm downloading Kubuntu right now and burning it to CD to test drive it. I do have one concern though: I use Verizon wireless broadband for my internet connection, and I'm not sure if they make software that's compatible to Windows.

JoeK64
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeK64 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:46 am

I'm sorry, I meant compatible with LINUX, not Windows. I've had enough problems with the latter OS to begin with...

JoeK64
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top