Administrative Tools Issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Administrative Tools Issue

Post by dsapre on 17th April 2009, 2:19 pm

Hi Doc

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this problem, but I am still going Ahead. I cannot execute any of the
following under the "administrative tools" in control panel.

1) Computer Management
2) Event Viewer
3) Performance
4) Services
5) Component Service

I get the error message "Access Denied". I am logged on as the administrator. My computer does not have any
malware. Please Help Doc!!!

dsapre
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 81
Joined Joined : 2008-11-24
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Win-Xp Home SP3
Points Points : 29510
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Administrative Tools Issue

Post by Doctor Inferno on 18th April 2009, 4:54 am

Hello,

You can use Group Policy to restrict users to a set of snap-ins and administrative tools. If you can't run GPE or other administrative tools and you receive the following message:

referenced in this document, has been restricted by policy. Contact your administrator for details,

You need to change your domain's configuration settings.

Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. Right-click the domain and select Properties.

Select the Group Policies tab >> Select the default domain policy and click Edit >> Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Management Console.

Double-click Restrict Users to the explicitly permitted list of snap-ins >> Select Not configured >> You can drill down further into Restricted/Permitted snap-ins\Group Policy and set Group Policy snap-in to enabled and Administrative Templates (User) to enabled or not configured.

Now, you can edit the registry to make these changes. Start >> run >> Regedit >> Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC. Double-click RestrictToPermittedSnapins and set the value to 0 and click OK. Close the registry editor.

If you still canít start the Group Policy snap-in, perform the following additional actions.
Start >> run >> Regedit >> Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC. Change the Restrict_Run value to 0 in the following keys if they exist:

{8FC0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3} (this is the restriction for Group Policy snap-in)
{0F6B957E-509E-11D1-A7CC-0000F87571E3} (this is the restriction for the Administrative Templates)

Close the registry editor.

access denied to administrative tools

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 11976
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104630

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsapre on 18th April 2009, 6:04 am

Hi Doc

Please note that my PC is not a part of the network, Its stand alone. Can I still go ahead with the solution as advised
or is there a another way to do it for stand alone PC?. I am using XP Home SP3. I am the only person using this computer
so I have never created a password for the windows. I have just setup the password on the motherboard, which is
required for booting.

Please advise if i should still go ahead with your instructions?? :hmm:

dsapre
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on 18th April 2009, 9:20 am

Yes, please go ahead.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsapre on 20th April 2009, 4:12 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:Hello,

You can use Group Policy to restrict users to a set of snap-ins and administrative tools. If you can't run GPE or other administrative tools and you receive the following message:

referenced in this document, has been restricted by policy. Contact your administrator for details,

You need to change your domain's configuration settings.

Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. Right-click the domain and select Properties.

Select the Group Policies tab >> Select the default domain policy and click Edit >> Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Management Console.

Double-click Restrict Users to the explicitly permitted list of snap-ins >> Select Not configured >> You can drill down further into Restricted/Permitted snap-ins\Group Policy and set Group Policy snap-in to enabled and Administrative Templates (User) to enabled or not configured.

Now, you can edit the registry to make these changes. Start >> run >> Regedit >> Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC. Double-click RestrictToPermittedSnapins and set the value to 0 and click OK. Close the registry editor.

If you still canít start the Group Policy snap-in, perform the following additional actions.
Start >> run >> Regedit >> Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC. Change the Restrict_Run value to 0 in the following keys if they exist:

{8FC0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3} (this is the restriction for Group Policy snap-in)
{0F6B957E-509E-11D1-A7CC-0000F87571E3} (this is the restriction for the Administrative Templates)

Close the registry editor.

access denied to administrative tools

Hi Doc

Sorry for the delay in my reply.... my questions are:

1) How to start MMC?
2) I navigated to the regisrty key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft... but could not find "MMC" there

So what next can be done!!

dsapre
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on 21st April 2009, 10:46 am

On the Start Menu, click Run, type MMC, and then click OK

If you do not have it go to: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=61fc1c66-06f2-463c-82a2-cf20902ffae0&displaylang=en

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down