GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

Reinstalling Spyware Doctor, bad idea, trojan madness lurkin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Reinstalling Spyware Doctor, bad idea, trojan madness lurkin

Post by mike69 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:51 pm

regarding response 4)

1) Even if I didn't log into any of those banking or purchasing services during the time of this massive virus issue over the past couple of days, they still have access to the login information somehow?

Last edited by mike69 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:54 pm

There's no telling how long this malware has been sat on your machine. If you want to risk not changing your passwords, then you put yourself at risk.

Formatting is the only way out, once a backdoor is opened, it can't be closed without formatting. They can't trace you anymore once you format.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

# Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:57 pm

2) If I reformat and reinstall, how could they still trace the machine with the new install?

3) Assuming I get this far and install everything back to the default factory, what can we conclude from this incident? Is it the setup executable that may have caused this virus or if you use a license key, could the ID of that license key cause the tracing of all of these viruses? I'm confused which one it would be between these two.

4) Does the Windows XP Cd boot with the format option really do the deepest of the deep root level format of the hard drive? or does it simply overlap the previous install?

5) Also, when formatting to NTFS, does it matter if you do a quick format or a full?

6) you mentioned on the first page that I will need to change the ISP password. How do I do that? Also, if I do a format, would this even be necessary? The only reason why i ask is because I have several people in the household using this isp wirelessly and have it set up on MAC table, but changing the isp password will probably cause me to have to manually readd them by going to each device one by one. I just want to know if this is your suggestion even after reformatting.

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:08 am

2) Once you have formatted, they WONT be able to trace you.

3) What can we conclude? download software from the original source only, don't get it from some website that promises you a licence. The installer here was the problem.

4) I would do a full format, wipe the partition, then remake it. I say this because overlapping one OS with another may cause the new OS some problems because remnants of the old OS is there. (Upgrading from XP to Vista causes Internet Explorer errors)

5) ^ full format

6) The master router (the thing all your wireless networks use) should be fine (assuming it's got a custom password and not the default administrator password), it's just website passwords that are compromised

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:36 am

in regards to question 3

1) so the license key, does not allow any hackers to trace from you or anyone who uses that key?

in regards to question 6

1) so after formatting and installing, you would recommend changing the master router password? I would think that if I change the password on that, then all devices using that as an access point (those on the MAC table) wouldn't work and I"d have to manually readd them with the new password that's not cached into the system right? Is that how it works?

2) If the infected pc was a laptop that was connected wirelessly to a main router and that got infected (in my case), does that mean that the hacker could obtain information of other devices to hack that is connected to that same main router?

3) would you recommend using Spyware Doctor or using Norton for a combo Antivirus, Spyware, and Internet Security?

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 am

I think we have a misunderstanding. When I said master password, I wasn't talking about the WEP key. I was talking about the access to the router via it's IP adress (depending on your model, but it's usually 192.168.1.1)

I don't recommend Norton. It's too big and has been known to drag systems down. I would recommend Avira along with Kerio firewall. Both are free.

1) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-Free anti-virus software for Windows.
-Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A tutorial on understanding and using firewalls may be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

As for Antispyware, I would stick with SUPERAntispyware or MBAM.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:03 am

isn't the access to the router always 192.168.0.1?

1) you're talking about the admin login for that? I wasn't sure how you change that? Is it by just reseting the router by pressing down the pin on the back for 10 seconds? Not sure. Need some help on that.

2) I tried to use kerio firewall once. It doesn't seem as user friendly for non-tech people who are new to installing those things. I installed it once and I couldn't figure out how to get my internet connection up since I didn't know how to tie that into the router. If the router (being by definition it has a built in firewall) and software firewall router link, doesn't that cause complications?

3) do you know if spyware doctor has a built in firewall? or is it simply for antivirus and spyware?

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:37 am

Belehzur,

You're probably asleep at this time, so I'll check up with you later. Please respond to the previous questions in my last reply.

As an update. I am now typing on what was the originally infected laptop. I spent the last few hours reformatting and reinstalling windows from scratch. I got the official files of malwarebytes and spydoctor off of the original company websites and installed them before going online. So, the process that I did went:

1) format and install windows XP os
2) install laptop drivers, (disabling the wireless)
3) downloading malwarebytes and spyware doctor from another pc, copying it over, and installing it
4) running quick and full tests
5) installed ms office and other basic apps
6) copied back up personal files (my documents, desktop files) over to the newly formated pc (when I did a select all before copying, it had over 40 hidden files, I made sure that I didn't select those and said no to it asking if I wanted to include that in the selection process)
7) now online, having windows do an autoupdate since it was installed up to xp service pack 2

Curiously though, for some reason, I ran malware bytes a few times, it found nothing and that was the newest version with file updates. However, with the official spyware doctor program from pctools.com website, I did a intelliscan (quick) scan, and it found 5 infections of low profile. These results always, and I mean, always, seem to pop up as some result all the time from a test run from spyware doctor after first installing. I don't know if it's supposed to mean something. This is no corrupted file this time around and thank god it's not doing anything crazy on me right now, but it doesn't make sense to me. Why is a fresh install of xp and some installs having it pick up a few threats?

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:49 pm

Hello.

They aren't threats. The picture is small, but I can just about read it.

"TrackingCookies" aren't infections, everyone needs tracking cookies. If you use Internet Explorer/Firefox and clear the cookies, notice that you get logged out of everything, because cookies is where your login details is stored on your machine.

Adware.Advertising is the same thing, but fix them if you want to. [Although you wil get logged out of stuff. Goofy ]

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:27 pm

well, once I get this system back up and running, could you help me go through the diagnostics check on this new installed machine again?

I want to make sure that the folder contents and new installs I made don't have anything left from the previous infection or bring up any new ones.

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Sure. But don't use this topic, open a new one and post a Hijack This log for me to check.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks.

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A tutorial on understanding and using firewalls may be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

As for Antispyware, I would stick with SUPERAntispyware or MBAM.

I was wondering. I just got a clean copy of spyware spydoctor and I was thinking that since doesn't have a firewall and intrusion detection, I wanted to install instead mcafee total protection 2009, which has all of that. I have a copy of that as well.

What's your opinion? I know you mentioned that you can't have 2 apps because they will conflict? How should I proceed with the steps to uninstall and install? or can i keep them both?

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:24 pm

If you get Mcafee all in one, then don't install any other firewall or antivirus.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm

o oh, new spyware doctor has been finding some things on the machine, even after reformating and reinstalling. Take a look at this. It seems every time it finishes scanning, something happens.

The only thing I remember doing is that I accidently mispelled hotmail.com for something like 'homtial.com' or something like that, and it poped up a site that was blocked by spydoctor, and since this, all these strange things have been happening

here's the hijacker log, do you find anything suspicious?
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:36:10 PM, on 4/14/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Elite Desktop\HPKEYBOARDg.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsGui.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.0.926.3450\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_219B3E1547538286.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP KEYBOARDg] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Elite Desktop\HPKEYBOARDg.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ThreatFire - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 5293 bytes

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Log looks clean.
That screenshot is looking at history, not a current infection?

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:40 pm

well, it is the history of a recent scan. From the time stamp and my time zone, that scan was about an hour ago after I accidently mistyped going to msn
hotmail website.'

1) Do you think it's anything to worry about?

Also,

2) Another question. I currently have spyware doctor installed. Will installing mcafee over this cause complications or should I uninstall spyware doctor first and then install mcafee ...OR should I just install mcafee and then deal with spyware doctor uninstall later?

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Well, the screenshot says Spyware Doctor with antivirus.
If you want Mcafee, Spyware Doctor has to go.

And no, I don't think you should worry.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 pm

So the ordering of what to install or uninstall first would not be a problem?

Will installing mcafee over this cause complications or should I uninstall spyware doctor first and then install mcafee ...OR should I just install mcafee and then deal with spyware doctor uninstall later?

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Install Mcafee first, then uninstall Spyware Doctor. Atleast that way, you will be protected during the removal instead of the other way around.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 am

Whoa, Mcafee just found this. I don't know why spyware doctor never did. I didn't even run this app in this new installed laptop after reformatting, but somehow, this was caught. This program is a program just to schedule automated downloads from sites like rapidshare, megaupload, and other sides,

Anything you think I should be worried about?

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Hello.
I can just about read that. JDownloader I think.

Where did you download the JDownloader from? from the original website or via another source?

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:26 pm

original website

mike69
Intermediate
Intermediate