Problems with my laptop

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Re: Problems with my laptop

Post by LadySmith on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:Read this article:

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Let me know if it helps.

I appreciate this article...full of a lot of good information. But, I'm not sure I quite understand how I can fix this problem. I tried to follow this according to my problem and feel like I'm getting nowhere.

The only discs I have are the recovery discs. I don't have any software CDs or driver installation CDs at all.

I'm not sure if I can make a Windows XP bootable CD because the only ones I see listed there for that is XP Home or Professional and including SP1 and SP2 for each. My laptop has Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Even if I got a new hard drive, I'm not sure how I would reinstall the Windows XP Media Center Edition (would it work through the recovery CDs?). I do have the little sticker number thingy on the bottom of the laptop, but just don't have the CD.

I've tried the recovery console and recovery via CD and it fails.

I'm just confused on what to do.

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:12 am

Hold tight... I'm thinking of a solution for you, I have never experienced such a thing before.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:21 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:Hold tight... I'm thinking of a solution for you, I have never experienced such a thing before.

Thanks! I appreciate it so much! I'm patient about this. I mean, I know nothing else to do.

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:08 am

One more thing I need to know, does your laptop still run fine? Like can it boot into normal Windows mode?

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:One more thing I need to know, does your laptop still run fine? Like can it boot into normal Windows mode?

No, now since it had went through some of the recovery (but never finished...failed), I'm assuming it wiped some of it clean, at least what it needs to boot. Now, when I turn it on is when I get the NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart screen. Pressing any key just makes this same message over and over. The laptop isn't usable at all at the moment.

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Have you thought of anything on this yet? I miss my laptop!

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazzgull on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:18 am

Hm.. About "NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart" have some solution, might someone help..

1.If your lucky, go to BIOS and change First Boot Hard Disk.
2.Go to BIOS, change First Boot - to CD/DVD ROM. NOw retset your computer.
When you got message "Press any key to Boot from CD.." press something on your keyboard.
When Windows Setup come on, just press R on your keyboard for Recovery Console.
Chose what you wish, and type this inside:
Code:
copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:\NTLDR
*Important!
- Probably you install windows on C. partition, so i put C:\NTLDR .Change it if your not..
- CD/DVD Rom - i put D: , dunno what's yours.. So change it for your computer.. If you have E: just put E:\i386\NTLDR.. Your choice.

Now restart computer, and wait..

If this not help you, you probably have problem with Hard Disc, some parts are broken. Only what you can do - Backup your files.. That's all.
Hope some of this solution will help you.

Nazzgull
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:46 pm

@Nazzgull wrote:Hm.. About "NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart" have some solution, might someone help..

1.If your lucky, go to BIOS and change First Boot Hard Disk.
2.Go to BIOS, change First Boot - to CD/DVD ROM. NOw retset your computer.
When you got message "Press any key to Boot from CD.." press something on your keyboard.
When Windows Setup come on, just press R on your keyboard for Recovery Console.
Chose what you wish, and type this inside:
Code:
copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:\NTLDR
*Important!
- Probably you install windows on C. partition, so i put C:\NTLDR .Change it if your not..
- CD/DVD Rom - i put D: , dunno what's yours.. So change it for your computer.. If you have E: just put E:\i386\NTLDR.. Your choice.

Now restart computer, and wait..

If this not help you, you probably have problem with Hard Disc, some parts are broken. Only what you can do - Backup your files.. That's all.
Hope some of this solution will help you.

I never got a chance to do the "copyD:\i386....", etc.

I followed your instructions...went to BIOS and the hard disk was the 1st boot option. Then, I went back into BIOS and changed it to the CD/DVD-ROM drive to be the 1st boot option. I put the Recovery CD 1 into the drive (because that's all I have are the 2 recovery CDs) and restarted computer.

I didn't get the message"Press any key to Boot from CD.." , so I didn't get to Windows Setup and get to press the R for Recovery Console and therefore didn't get to copy that NTDLR file.

The CD just was automatically loading and it showed something about Loading RAMDISK (I think) image. Then it went to the Recovery and again it got to about 50% and said "Restore failed! Reason code 0xf0000005"

I'm not sure what that means. If I try the recovery from the Alt-F10, it only gets to like 37 or 38% and gives me Reason code: Oxf0000006. But, every time I'm trying to do the recovery, it gets to the same Source and Current File no matter what % it got to...and those are:

Source: 90EA5110.035
Current File: ehome\Positioning16x9.wmv

I understand that the hard drive may just be bad mechanically or something, but if I got a new hard drive, would I be able to install the Windows XP Media Center Edition using my Recovery disks? Or, would I have to find someone that actually has the Windows XP Media Center Edition and install it on there (I do have the Key Code sticker thingy on the bottom)?

I just don't know what to do because I'm worried I wouldn't even be able to install Windows on it.

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:48 am

If I get a new hard drive will I be able to use the recovery by Alt-F10 or the recovery disks to reinstall the Windows XP Media Center Edition?

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:15 am

I'm not sure if it will help, but if replacing the hard drive helps then it's a hardware fault which is only 10% likely where the IDE cables are faulty. Do you have another XP disc perhaps you can get from a friend?

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:53 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:I'm not sure if it will help, but if replacing the hard drive helps then it's a hardware fault which is only 10% likely where the IDE cables are faulty. Do you have another XP disc perhaps you can get from a friend?

Oh, so you're saying it is more than likely bad IDE cables instead of the hard drive or vice versa? I don't want to invest in a new hard drive if that's not going to solve my problem unless it's a really good deal on a bigger one or something.

How am I to know which it is...HDD or IDE cables? What can be done about faulty IDE cables?

I'll have to check around and see if any of my family or friends has a regular XP disc because all I have is the Dell version of Windows XP Professional SP2 and the Acer recovery disks.

I really appreciate your working with me on this...and your patience. I'm about to go crazy without my laptop!!!

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 am

Your hard drive might have some bad sectors, or possibly even failing. Changing your had disk is the only solution I can think of.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:50 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:Your hard drive might have some bad sectors, or possibly even failing. Changing your had disk is the only solution I can think of.

When I get a new hard drive, I'll let you know how it goes.

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:44 am

Will this hard drive work for my laptop? I'm confused about all the SATA, PATA, ATA, IDE, stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148073

I'll shop around and see what the best prices are....but this one seems like a decent price to me....if it is compatible with my laptop.

I actually found the same thing on Buy.com for $62.99. Just hoping this will work in my laptop.

Last edited by LadySmith on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found a cheaper price)

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 am

@LadySmith wrote:Will this hard drive work for my laptop? I'm confused about all the SATA, PATA, ATA, IDE, stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148073

I'll shop around and see what the best prices are....but this one seems like a decent price to me....if it is compatible with my laptop.

I actually found the same thing on Buy.com for $62.99. Just hoping this will work in my laptop.

OK, I ordered the above hard drive (hope it works for my laptop...if not, I can return it so please let me know).

But, I do have a question...am I supposed to format the new hard drive in any way or make a partition in it or anything?

I would like to have a small partition with the recovery console on it if possible.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:26 am

No need to format, just place it in the laptop and run you recovery disc. If you want to partition you need to get another software which doesn't come cheap.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:02 pm

@Doctor Inferno wrote:No need to format, just place it in the laptop and run you recovery disc. If you want to partition you need to get another software which doesn't come cheap.

Thanks. Will that hard drive work in my laptop? I'll let you know when I get it and get it installed and OS on there...hopefully it will be running again. (Can't wait to use my new RAM that I previously got either!)

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 pm

OK, got the new hard drive today. It will work for my laptop because it is the same thing that was in it (Seagate Momentus) except this one is 160GB vs the 80GB that was in it.

I tried to use the Acer Recovery Disk 1 and got the same darn thing! The restore failed Reason code: 0x0000005. Then when it restarts, it says the NTLDR is missing press any key to restart.

UGH!!!! I don't know what to do!!!

Now, I took the new RAM out, put the old one back in and gonna try it.

I'm absolutely stumped on this!

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:44 am

There most probably is a fault with the recovery disk.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:07 pm

I guess that's the case. The CDs aren't scratched up or anything. I made them right when the laptop was brand new and immediately put them in their jewel cases.

I guess I should have made more than one copy.

I'm gonna check around with friends and family and see if they have Windows XP Media Center Edition CD that I can use (I do have the key code sticker on the bottom of laptop).

If no one has one, I don't know what else to do other than take it to a computer repair place, which was what I was trying to prevent in the first place.

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:47 pm

I can't find a Windows XP Media Center Edition CD from anyone. Every one I know either has only their recovery disk, a OS install disk like Dell or something (like I have for my desktop) or they have nothing at all.

I did take the new RAM out and put the old back in and tried the recovery and still the same thing.

Ugh! I don't know what to do!

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySmith on Fri May 08, 2009 5:23 am

I just wanted to update...

I never could find anyone with a Windows XP Media Center Edition CD. So, I ended up taking my laptop to a local computer shop since my recovery partition nor my recovery disks weren't working.

They wanted me to bring it with the original hard drive and RAM in it so they could test it.

They called me in a day or two and told me that indeed the hard drive was bad and wanted me to bring the new hard drive and RAM I had bought.

I picked it up today. They had installed the new hard drive and RAM, installed Windows on it, did all the updates, flash players and such, put anti-virus on it and only charged me $42.

So far, so good. I do have a new question regarding the RAM, but I'll post a new topic.

Thanks everyone for your input in trying to help me with this issue.

T

LadySmith
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top