Computer self-restart!! Computer geeks seeks another geeks advice!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Computer self-restart!! Computer geeks seeks another geeks advice!

Post by Sirk7101 on 9th January 2009, 5:35 am

Im currrently running a custom built pc i built around jan. of 08. And for some reason it keeps restarting itself once it gets into the OS (Win Xp pro sp2), it sometimes restarts or other times it will run fine. I've tried swapping out the RAM... didnt work.. Then i checked out the device manager, and it told me that there was a driver error with the PnP Bios extension and I think the other was a USB composite device. I also tried updating ALL the drivers, including all the chipset drivers and I Still cant fix this! I consider myself an experienced computer nerd, so responses dont have to be too watered down lol... Ive listed the specs off the top of my head, but if u need more please let me know!

Specs:
Intel P4 2.4 Ghz
1gb pc3200 (800 mhz i think.. have to check the speed again)
BFG (Nvidia) 7800GS
Mobo= Abit IS7-E2g (supports hyper threading, which makes the stupid thing restart more when enabled)
Integrated audio (forget what kind)
im pretty sure everything else is all integrated, cant think of nething else at the moment.

Sirk7101
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 10
Joined Joined : 2009-01-09
OS OS : windows vista home premium/ windows xp
Points Points : 28930
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer self-restart!! Computer geeks seeks another geeks advice!

Post by Digitalocksmith on 9th January 2009, 7:57 am

Right click 'my computer'->Properties->Advanced tab->under 'start up and recovery' click 'settings'.

Under 'system failure' uncheck 'Automatically restart' then next time she crashes send me the BSOD details!

Regards

Digitalocksmith
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 625
Joined Joined : 2007-12-22
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 beta 1 (build 7048) - Testing Bluewhite64 Linux 12.2
Points Points : 48971

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirk7101 on 9th January 2009, 4:27 pm

ok thanks... ill try and get that done today! if im not working all day lol

Sirk7101
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirk7101 on 9th January 2009, 8:44 pm

ok its a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which im pretty sure is a driver/hardware issure... heres the stop code..

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804ECBA2)

Sirk7101
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Digitalocksmith on 10th January 2009, 4:00 am

@Sirk7101 wrote:ok its a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which im pretty sure is a driver/hardware issure... heres the stop code..

Yep, your pretty much on the money here!

Mostly from my experience with this stop error code its incompatible or faulty hardware.....usually bad RAM, however you mentioned that a module swap out didnt help!

I suppose you have run 'memtest' just to be sure on any bad sectors etc?

I think that this issue is pretty much going to be a process of elimination for you, but you already know this!

As a matter of interest, does the system run stable in safe mode?
If it does, then we can safely bet that its a driver issue and we will have to nail the sucker down.

Is everything above board in 'Device Manager'?

Other things you need to check:

(1) Sometimes viruses or the anti-virus software that is running on the computer may cause problems. (Send me a HiJackThis log if you would like me to check it for you).

(2) Faulty installation of System Services, BIOS firmware or device drivers. It can also be caused by incompatible virus scanners or backup tools.

(3) Computer runs QuickTime 7 on Vista which is trying to open a movie file with .mov extension.

(4) Third party software applications such as device drivers may also have software bugs which access unprotected or restricted memory.

Sometimes the name of the application or driver that caused this problem will be displayed on the screen immediately after the STOP error information.

I also build my own systems, and set my hardrive management up so that the Operating System is always on a seperate drive/partition from my important data.

This way i never have to worry about backing anything up as a Format and clean install is a peice of cake, and often the best way around most situations that otherwise would cost you hours and hours of troubleshooting!

Im not really one for system restores either but i guess you could head down that path if you prefer.......

Regards

Digitalocksmith
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 625
Joined Joined : 2007-12-22
OS OS : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 beta 1 (build 7048) - Testing Bluewhite64 Linux 12.2
Points Points : 48971

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on 10th January 2009, 6:58 am

What a coincidence! I got this error message while booting up my PC today.

It happened like this. I'm running a dual boot system, so I accidentally booted into Vista instead of Windows 7. I hit the reset button during the loading boot screen on my PC to reach the boot menu.

I selected to boot Windows 7 later on and occurred with the same error message as yours in a blue screen. Later everything went fine, I can boot like normal now.

There might be a possibility where you did not shutdown or boot up you computer properly, for example, while the computer is shutting down, you immediately turn off the power switch.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 11976
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104650

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirk7101 on 12th January 2009, 7:15 pm

um dont think i do anything lol, its always done this since i built a year ago. Ill try to run it in safe mode and let you know what happens Digital Locksmith

Sirk7101
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top