windows start up problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved windows start up problem

Post by jakeblakeley on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 5:54 pm

Im running windows xp home edition and i recently, for the first time in a while, actually turned my computer off rather then putting it on standby. The next time i go to turn it on it gets stuck on startup and says preparing network connections... and doesnt go further(i left it overnight and no change). It wont start in safemode, nor boot from the xp install disk.
I have ErdCommander and pretty familiar with regestry editting but im basically out of ideas. Also i changed my sysid a while back but it restarted fine with that before so i dont see that as a problem. If you need an additional information just ask. One last thing i'd rather not do a system restore or reformat because i have to so many things that i havent managed to back up or salvage, and its a lot since i have over 4000 songs , if i have to thats a last resort.

jakeblakeley

Unborn
Unborn

Operating System : windows xp home

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: windows start up problem

Post by Digitalocksmith on Sun 04 Jan 2009, 8:42 pm

You need to configure the BIOS so your system boots from the install disc and then run a repair install......this would be the most logical solution as you will not lose any data in the process!

Regards

Digitalocksmith

Advanced Surfer
Advanced Surfer

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 beta 1 (build 7048) - Testing Bluewhite64 Linux 12.2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeblakeley on Mon 05 Jan 2009, 5:42 am

finally got it to boot the from the xp disk but its wont let me use my password for my admin when i tried. I changed the password via ErdCommander but it needs to reboot to take effect which its not getting far enough on startup to do it so im stuck at the windows repair screen without a working pass. Any idea what i can do to change the admin pass or skip that screen.

also I get it to the point where i can do a repair install but the mouse and keyboard stop working for some odd reason when a message asking if i want to install a driver pops up. I tried unplugging and plugging them back in but nothing works. I alos tried changing the bios settings and nothing, also its a usb keyboard and usb mouse and dont have any other ones i can try using.

jakeblakeley

Unborn
Unborn

Operating System : windows xp home

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simsim on Mon 12 Jan 2009, 3:27 am

I was wondering if there was another option. I have the same problem as the OP, but since my computer is school issued, I don't have a XP disk. Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks

simsim

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : XP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Inferno on Mon 12 Jan 2009, 8:11 pm

Hello simsim, please post your questions in a new topic.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
The GeekPolice

The GeekPolice

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64

View user profile http://twitter.com/GeekPolice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: