GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

2 fire walls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2 fire walls

Post by suzonka on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:22 pm

is windows vista basic an OK firewall to use as compared to CA 's firewall ,Note I dont want to change to fire fox or anything just an answer as to which firewall is better ? Thank You!

Last edited by suzonka on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

suzonka
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 fire walls

Post by Digitalocksmith on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:15 am

Vista's firewall is only one way unless configured seperately.....ie It will stop unauthorized incoming access, however it will not alert you to any unauthorized outbound traffic!

ie This will allow any malware on your system to be able to phone home! no what i mean?

Better to use a third party software firewall such as comodo, zone alarm or my personal favourite, Outpost Firewall.

Available as freeware : http://majorgeeks.com/Outpost_Firewall_Free_d1056.html

Make sure you disable windows firewall before installing a third party app firewall as you should only ever run one firewall at a time to avoid confliction issues.

Regards

Digitalocksmith
Leader
Leader

OS : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 beta 1 (build 7048) - Testing Bluewhite64 Linux 12.2
# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top