Heat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Heat

Post by restrung on 20th December 2008, 10:18 pm

This is my third question within a week (i promise i will stop eventually aha)

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5812 and I am worried about the heating/battery of it. The laptop is pretty hot sitting on my lap and I know that is normal for most laptops, but I just want to be safe. I use my computer around 4-5 hours a day, and I use it non-stop. No breaks (turning off for periods of time) within those 4-5 hours. Is that ok or should I shut it down for a certain amount of time every hour or so (suggest the amount of time I should shut it down for, I'm thinking 30mins would do but if you think longer let me know).

I also have a Dell computer in my room which takes up a bit of space on my desk. I was planning on giving it to my mom but she suggested that I kept it because she feels that I shouldn't be on this laptop for long periods of time because the heating may cause something to happen to it?. Keep in mind she doesn't really know much about laptops but I think I agree with her. So that is the second part of my question, even thought I hate this huge dell in my room should I keep it in here and mostly use that computer or does it not matter?

Also, is it alright to charge the computer while using it? Is that better to do, or should I not do that?

Damn I keep coping back and editing this post. ALSO ASLO, I am reading bad stuff about not enough ventilation. If it is on a desk (i have it flat on a bed right now...), is that good enough or would you suggest a cooling pad/something (i don't know about that stuff) and if so, which one?

AND...my touchpad scroller thing isn't working. I used to be able to glide my finger on the right side and it would scroll down but now it doesn't. Any idea why?

restrung
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 48
Joined Joined : 2008-12-14
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows XP & Windows Vista
Points Points : 29179
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Heat

Post by Doctor Inferno on 21st December 2008, 11:25 am

Don't stop asking please. LOL Banner

Laptops run well on "laps", there is a small fan below it which might be the only ventilation for it and your laps might block it or something. Using for 4-5 hours shouldn't be a problem when running it on a table or a hard surface.

If you're still worried you can get a laptop fan, designed specially to be placed under a laptop to cool it, I'm not sure how well it works, but my recommendation for you now is to place it on a table or a hard surface.

Spoiler:
From what I read from a newspaper article placing a laptop on your lap can kill sperms! Not sure if it's true or not!

As for you desktop, you can give it to your mom. And as I already said above placing your laptop on a table will most probably solve the heating problem.

You mean charge the laptop? Yes it is fine. I doubt it makes a difference. With your power cord plugged into your laptop it will use the AC power instead of the battery. If you want a longer battery life for your laptop, try to use AC power whenever you can.

I don't know how well cooling pad works, but if the heating persist, you can get one. My brother has a laptop it runs real hot at times, but it's nothing worry much about really.

For your touchpad:

Navigate to: C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Appoint.exe

Is Appoint.exe there?

If it is, you need to run that it to get scrolling back. To make sure this happens automatically at start-up, add a shortcut to the "StartUp" menu of Programs\All Users, or run msconfig and ensure it is enabled in the Startup section.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 11976
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104630
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down