Back up saved games

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Back up saved games

Post by Chosen1 on Wed 12 Mar 2008, 9:15 pm

I am going to format my drive and reinstall XP . I have armed myself with all the back-up tools I need, and after buying a large external hard drive Iíve also used a drive-imaging tool to take an image of the hard drive in case I forget something. Iíve managed to sniff out tools that cover just about every base, but one thing Iíd like to port over with my backups are my saved games, as I donít particularly want to have start them again from scratch! What advice would you offer on locating where these files are kept?

Expert Surfer
Expert Surfer

Operating System : windows xp, 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Back up saved games

Post by Doctor Inferno on Thu 13 Mar 2008, 1:26 am

Itís sometimes difficult to find game files, and itís easy to forget to back them up before reinstalling Windows Ė a bit like your Office settings and preferences. To rescue the latter, run the Office Save My Settings Wizard Ė itís built into Office XP and 2003; Office 2000 users can download it through

Itís a good idea to make a drive image of your system Ė tools like Norton Ghost 9.0 enable you to Ďmountí your images as if they were actual drives, so if you forget to port across a file you can grab it from the drive image. You can retrieve forgotten Registry settings with a program called Resplendent Registrar (, which we covered in issue 144. We recommend that you copy your Registry files from the drive image to a folder on your hard drive before opening them with Resplendent Registrar.

All of this is quite fiddly so prepare yourself as best as possible by backing up what you can before you reformat. In the case of saved game files, weíve compiled this flowchart to help you track down the files you need.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
The GeekPolice

The GeekPolice

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum