Things Computers Can Do in Movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Things Computers Can Do in Movies

Post by Doctor Inferno on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:24 am

1. Word processors never display a cursor.

2. You never have to use the space-bar when typing long sentences.

3. Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

4. All monitors display inch-high letters.

5. High-tech computers, such as those used by NASA, the CIA or some such governmental institution, will have easy to understand graphical interfaces.

6. Those that don't have graphical interfaces will have incredibly powerful text-based command shells that can correctly understand and execute commands typed in plain English.

7. Note: Command line interfaces will give you access to any information you want by simply typing, "ACCESS THE SECRET FILES" on any near-by keyboard.

8. You can also infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing "UPLOAD VIRUS". (See "Fortress".)

9. All computers are connected. You can access the information on the villain's desktop computer even if it's turned off.

10. Powerful computers beep whenever you press a key or the screen changes. Some computers also slow down the output on the screen so that it doesn't go faster than you can read. (Really advanced computers will also emulate the sound of a dot-matrix printer.)

11. All computer panels operate on thousands of volts and have explosive devices underneath their surface. Malfunctions are indicated by a bright flash of light, a puff of smoke, a shower of sparks and an explosion that causes you to jump backwards.

12. People typing on a computer can safely turn it off without saving the data.

13. A hacker is always able to break into the most sensitive computer in the world by guessing the secret password in two tries.

14. You may bypass "PERMISSION DENIED" message by using the "OVERRIDE" function. (See "Demolition Man".)

15. Computers only take 2 seconds to boot up instead of the average minutes for desktop PCs and 30 minutes or more for larger systems that can run 24 hours, 365 days a year without a reset.

16. Complex calculations and loading of huge amounts of data will be accomplished in under three seconds. Movie modems usually appear to transmit data at the speed of two gigabytes per second.

17. When the power plant/missile site/main computer overheats, all control panels will explode shortly before the entire building will.

18. If you display a file on the screen and someone deletes the file, it also disappears from the screen (See "Clear and Present Danger").

19. If a disk contains encrypted files, you are automatically asked for a password when you insert it.

20. Computers can interface with any other computer regardless of the manufacturer or galaxy where it originated. (See "Independence Day".)

21. Computer disks will work on any computer has a floppy drive and all software is usable on any platforms.

22. The more high-tech the equipment, the more buttons it will have (See "Aliens".)

23. Note: You must be highly trained to operate high-tech computers because the buttons have no labels except for the "SELF-DESTRUCT" button.

24. Most computers, no matter how small, have reality-defying three-dimensional active animation, photo-realistic graphics capabilities.

25. Laptops always have amazing real-time video phone capabilities and performance similar to a CRAY Supercomputer.

26. Whenever a character looks at a monitor, the image is so bright that it projects itself onto their face. (See "Alien" or "2001")

27. Searches on the internet will always return what you are looking for no matter how vague your keywords are. (See "Mission Impossible", Tom Cruise searches with keywords like "file" and "computer" and 3 results are returned.)

[Guests register (free) for more funny stuffs]

Last edited by Doctor Inferno on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 12015
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104600
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Things Computers Can Do in Movies

Post by Chosen1 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:40 am

haha nice. and true indeed.

Chosen1
Leader's Leader
Leader's Leader

Posts Posts : 1027
Joined Joined : 2008-01-01
OS OS : windows xp, 7
Points Points : 33652
# Likes # Likes : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir $wat on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:54 am

just like in the movies...lol

Sir $wat
Top Dog
Top Dog

Posts Posts : 2078
Joined Joined : 2008-08-16
OS OS : Windows XP Professional SP3
Protection Protection : Panda Cloud
Points Points : 34171

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Cosmic on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:11 am

No one ever needs a mouse.

FunSubstance is the place to go for daily entertainment.

Agent Cosmic
Master
Master

Posts Posts : 3267
Joined Joined : 2008-03-07
OS OS : Windows 7
Protection Protection : ESET Smart Security
Points Points : 50438

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cherr-ilynxd on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:38 am

Haha true indeed

cherr-ilynxd
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 33
Joined Joined : 2008-09-20
Points Points : 29990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jojozzzzz on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 am

Like in the good ol' movies

sig made by agent cosmic.

jojozzzzz
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 424
Joined Joined : 2008-06-14
Gender Gender : Female
OS OS : vista
Points Points : 31204

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ocean.bluex on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 am

I lol'd thanks for sharing

ocean.bluex
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 588
Joined Joined : 2008-06-21
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium
Points Points : 31435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ya Right!

Post by Vagabond on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:19 am

And photographs, no matter how awful the resolution, or grainy the image, can be zoomed in and enhanced so that the tiniest details are clearly seen!

Vagabond
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 1
Joined Joined : 2008-10-28
Points Points : 29610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kiplinght on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:56 pm

@Vagabond wrote:And photographs, no matter how awful the resolution, or grainy the image, can be zoomed in and enhanced so that the tiniest details are clearly seen!
Registered just to quote you! This is one thing that always makes me chuckle. They always do it in CSI and shows like that.

"Skip, can you read the license plate number off a Polaroid of a photocopy of a photo of a CCTV monitor taken on a camera phone in a spy car across the road?"

"Of course!"
Also, every circuit and component on a computer is registered to the owner, ready to be looked up by spies. (Can't remember the name of the movie. Might have Angelina Jolie in it though Let me think )

kiplinght
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 3
Joined Joined : 2008-10-28
Points Points : 29610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:23 am

@kiplinght wrote:
Registered just to quote you! This is one thing that always makes me chuckle. They always do it in CSI and shows like that.

Haha, yeah. They did that in The X Files too, using an old fashion camera (those that print the picture after you take them)

I mean the picture in heightxwidth could only have been maybe 100x100? LMBO or ROFL They zoomed in with perfect detail to see a guys face.

@RealBelahzur - [Prework] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34916
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
OS OS : XP SP3 Media Centre
Points Points : 245069
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by emu1616 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:09 pm

19. If a disk contains encrypted files, you are automatically asked for a password when you insert it.

Further to this, when typing in a password the password filed is the correct size for the number of characters the password is.

~ E-Mu ~

-:The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back:-

emu1616
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 62
Joined Joined : 2008-10-15
OS OS : Main Rig: Vista Premium | Laptop: XP Pro | Test Rig: Ubuntu/XP Home
Points Points : 29740

View user profile

Back to top Go down

super hackers

Post by Ed on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm

one of the best scene, is where a hacker is able to understand what a routine does just watching hi speed scrolling code on screen (and with 80 col old fashion display of couse) xD

Ed
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 1
Joined Joined : 2008-10-29
OS OS : wxp
Points Points : 29600

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:42 pm

The Lone Gunmen do this, it's actually quite amusing to watch.
Even more fun when you see the reflection in the guys glasses and you see it's just binary code. LMBO or ROFL

@RealBelahzur - [Prework] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34916
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
OS OS : XP SP3 Media Centre
Points Points : 245069
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by staghound406 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:43 am

It's so true. I never thought about the fact that they don't hit the space bar. lol. I have to say though, that in the movie Office Space, he does actually save a document before closing the computer. It does however take a ridiculously long time to save and it uses a progress bar, which I don't think I've ever seen when saving anything on any program ever. Also all they do to upload the virus to the system is plug in a floppy. I don't think you actually see them take the virus off the floppy. It's just supposed to magically jump off the disk upon insertion.

staghound406
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 54
Joined Joined : 2008-12-01
OS OS : Windows Vista x64
Points Points : 29288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top