Windows XP won't update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows XP won't update

Post by tenaj on Tue 14 Oct 2008, 10:03 am

I had a tdss virus last week and the wonderful guys here tried to help me get rid of it but after several attempts, downloaded several programs my computer crashed. I use Windows XP. I used my recovery CD to get Windows to start again. It told me to repair it but I didn't use the original Windows CD but a recovery CD from Compaq Pres. 2005 Media Home Edition. Well anyway Windows won't update - it tells me what to update but it just gives it back not updated and I couldn't upload my latest security software. Windows is running but it won't update to the lastest.

Any help will be appreciated.

tenaj

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows XP won't update

Post by Belahzur on Tue 14 Oct 2008, 10:29 am

tdssserv is a horrible form of malware as you saw, after what happened with OTMoveIt, I'd go for full format. tdssserv is a backdoor rootkit, stealing information. Even if you did kill tdssserv, your system would still be compromised, so a full format is probably the best option.

@RealBelahzur - [Prework] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur

Manager | Tech Officer
Manager | Tech Officer

Operating System : XP SP3 Media Centre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuki on Tue 14 Oct 2008, 10:58 am

If you wish to keep your info though, I'dd recomend using fabs autobackup. It works wonders. just back everything up to an external, and redo windows.

Yuki

Unborn
Unborn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Digitalocksmith on Wed 15 Oct 2008, 4:32 pm

You should be keeping all of your important data on a seperate drive/partition from your windows install anyway.

Most users dont understand this simple concept!

With correct hardrive management, one should never be afraid of the word 'Format'.

Digitalocksmith

Advanced Surfer
Advanced Surfer

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 beta 1 (build 7048) - Testing Bluewhite64 Linux 12.2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:54 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum