GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

norton Ghost 9.0 and SP2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved norton Ghost 9.0 and SP2

Post by moonstar on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:08 am

I installed Ghost 9.0 on XP Pro. it loaded perfectly, but on closing the computer refused to shut down.

I cannot get anyone at either Norton or Microsoft to give me a satisfactory answer to the problem. My local dealer said it might run without Service Pack 2, which after uninstalling it did. However, I donít want to compromise my systemís security in this way. Iím beginning to despair, so do you have any ideas?

moonstar
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: norton Ghost 9.0 and SP2

Post by Agent Cosmic on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:14 am

Symantec has a document in its support database that refers to Ghost 9.0ís compatibility with Service Pack 2. It states that for Ghost to work with SP2 you need to do two things: modify Windowsí Data Execution Prevention (DEP) policy and change the boot.ini file. If youíve not yet installed Ghost, try the following to modify the DEP. Open the System Control Panel, switch to the Advanced tab and click Settings under Performance. Switch to the Data Execution Prevention tab, select ĎTurn on DEP for all programs and services except those I selectí and click OK, restarting when prompted.

Agent Cosmic
Master
Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moonstar on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:20 am

but this option isnít available

moonstar
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Cosmic on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:21 am

hmmm... If this option isnít available or youíve already installed Ghost, restart your PC in Safe mode. Log on as the Administrator, click Start -> Run, type cmd and press [Return]. Type the following commands, pressing [Return] after each:

c:
cd\
attrib -r -s -h boot.ini

Leave the Command window open, click Start -> Run again, but this time type notepad c:\boot.ini and press [Return]. Locate the [operating systems] section and add the following line under it:

/NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
If any other lines exist with /NOEXECUTE=, delete them. Save the file and quit Notepad. Now switch back to the command prompt window and type the following line, pressing [Return]:

attrib +r +s +h boot.ini

Restart Windows and you should now be able to use or install Ghost 9.0 with no problems.

Agent Cosmic
Master
Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moonstar on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:23 am

ok thanks. prob solved

moonstar
Intermediate
Intermediate