"No Signal" to monitor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"No Signal" to monitor

Post by lizstaley on 30th July 2014, 3:50 pm

Full (but shortened) story- my hard drive in my Windows8 Gateway PC did a slow decline all last week and finally bit the dust on Monday. Wouldn't turn on. Took it to GeekSquad and they confirmed that the hard drive was dead. I bought a new hard drive and ordered recovery disks from Gateway.

Installed the hard drive yesterday, disks arrived today and everything was going just fine with the system restore. It was installing software when my monitor shut itself off and then when I turned it back on the monitor displays "No Signal" before turning off again. I grabbed a different monitor, same thing.

This has happened before with this PC, and restarting has always fixed the problem. Except in this case. I cannot get it to register either monitor. Did my video card fry too?

lizstaley
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 1
Joined Joined : 2014-07-30
OS OS : Windows 8
Points Points : 8653
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "No Signal" to monitor

Post by Superdave on 30th July 2014, 7:12 pm

I turned it back on the monitor displays "No Signal" before turning off again. I grabbed a different monitor, same thing.

This has happened before with this PC, and restarting has always fixed the problem. Except in this case. I cannot get it to register either monitor. Did my video card fry too? .
This usually means that the computer has shut down. First thing to do is check the cables. If the cables are good and the computer is turned on it probably means there's something wrong with the video card.

Superdave
Captain
Captain

Posts Posts : 4202
Joined Joined : 2010-02-01
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 8.1 and a dual-boot with XP Home SP3
Protection Protection : MSE, Windows Defender, Windows firewall
Points Points : 83231
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down