Reinstalling W7 issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reinstalling W7 issues

Post by alilujah on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on a laptop that was at the point of no return, due to an infection and who knows what else. Anyway, now the screen looks weird. The icons are huge and everything looks stretched out. I also have no way to connect to the internet because I lost the driver for the network adapter. And Whenever I restart it goes to the WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER for me to choose WIndows 7 as the OS
I was worried about deleting the wrong partition during the reinstalling process so I didn't delete all of them
maybe that's why...?
Please help!

alilujah
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 186
Joined Joined : 2009-01-30
Gender Gender : Female
OS OS : Windows 7
Points Points : 30610
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reinstalling W7 issues

Post by Jan2011 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Sounds like you didn't install Windows from the disks that came with the computer. I'm saying this because if you did, the hardware drivers should be on the disk.

First, how about trying to get the drivers for your machine. Using another computer, go to the manufacturers website and look for some kind of 'support' link. From there, search for your computer by model. You should find a link to the drivers.

Download them to a flash drive so that you can then install the drivers on the other computer.

I suggest installing the chipset first. Follow that with the network driver. Then you should be able to get onto the Internet to install the remaining drivers from the manufacturer.

Don't forget to do the updates and install malware protection.

Jan2011
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 615
Joined Joined : 2011-01-17
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 25554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alilujah on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:52 am

ok thanks I did all that, everythings good.

Now all I'm missing is the Microsoft Office Starter. Why didn't that update with everything else... or I should say install... Because it's not even listed under programs. I can't find it anywhere. How do I get that back?

alilujah
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jan2011 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:24 am

Very good that you got everything working.

The MS Office Starter is a program that is installed on computers by the manufacturer. It's not part of Windows.

If you had the install disks that came with your computer, they may have installed MS Office Starter. Of course, most computers don't come with install disk any more. They provide a utility for the user to create the disks. It's easily something consumers miss.

If you need a free alternative to MS Office, try OpenOffice.

Here's the link: http://www.openoffice.org/

Jan2011
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 615
Joined Joined : 2011-01-17
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 25554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alilujah on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:07 am

Thanks. I don't have any install disks..(I don't understand why they don't come with disks anymore!)
What's the utility that they provide to create a disk...where would I find that? I looked on Toshiba Support and couldn't find much there...
Yeah, everything I read says that you can't download Starter because it's an OEM version.
Wonder if I can copy it off of a laptop that DOES have it and put it on a flash drive...what do you think? Is that doable?

alilujah
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top