Mystery file will not leave recycle bin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mystery file will not leave recycle bin

Post by moreyag on 15th September 2012, 9:19 pm

I need help with a recycler problem. If i right-click and Empty Recyle Bin i get an "acces is denied " message with a strange file name. I booted into safe mode, tried the "rd /s c:\recycler" command and i got the following:
"acces is denied the file is being used by another process"
I went into the recycler directory and there appear to be NO files, just 2 directories:
C:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dc56"
I cannot remove attributes or delete these directories because "the file is being used by another process"
How can i terminate the process so i can get rid of this file? It's annoying to get the the access denied message EVERY TIME i clean the recycle bin.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and best regards,
MG

moreyag
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 95
Joined Joined : 2009-12-05
OS OS : windows xp & xp pro
Points Points : 26909
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mystery file will not leave recycle bin

Post by Dr Jay on 18th September 2012, 9:00 am

Hi there. This is actually a virus, and if you attempt to delete it, it can cause problems to your Internet connection.

• Download [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to your desktop
  • Download [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.

Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy

• Insert the flash drive with FRST on it
  • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
  • The tool will start to run.

• When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button. It will do its scan and save a log on your flash drive.
  • Close out of the message after that, then type in the text services.exe in to the "Search:" text box. Then, press the Search file(s) button, just as below:

When done searching, FRST makes a log, Search.txt, on the C:\ drive or on your flash drive.
  • Type exit in the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer normally
  • FRST will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive and also the search.txt logfile, please copy and paste the logs in your reply.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Posts Posts : 14309
Joined Joined : 2009-09-06
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 10 Home & Pro
Arch. Arch. : x64 (64-bit)
Protection Protection : Bitdefender Total Security
Points Points : 302960
# Likes # Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moreyag on 23rd September 2012, 11:19 pm

Hi DM Jay
Sorry for the long delay in responding. I actually got rid of the file using Malwarebytes File Assassin. First I used Unlocker to remove any blocks, then used File Assassin to get it out of the Recycle Bin in Safe Mode.
I ran multiple full scans with AVG and with Malwarebytes Pro and all seems to be OK.
Internet connection seems to be allright.
Thanks for the guidance.
All the best,
Morey

moreyag
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 95
Joined Joined : 2009-12-05
OS OS : windows xp & xp pro
Points Points : 26909
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 24th September 2012, 9:20 am

Hmm...okay then. I find it a bit hard to believe, but that's okay. Topic closed.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Posts Posts : 14309
Joined Joined : 2009-09-06
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 10 Home & Pro
Arch. Arch. : x64 (64-bit)
Protection Protection : Bitdefender Total Security
Points Points : 302960
# Likes # Likes : 10

View user profile