GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

browsers behaving strangely...infected?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

browsers behaving strangely...infected?

Post by lonicus on Sat May 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Hello,

I suspect my new computer (running Windows 7) has been infected with malware, but I can't seem to root out the cause. I was initially using Google Chrome and found myself unable to open certain sites -- like Google and Gmail -- without being denied access. The page that came up read something like: "The site's security certificate is signed with a weak algorithm" (see link below)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

At first I thought it was a problem with Chrome, and a quick google search revealed that a lot of people were having the same problem. But then I switched to Firefox, and now, every once in a while, I keep getting these pop-up tabs linking to spam sites, or occasionally I will click on a link and will redirect me to somewhere random. I tried clean uninstalls, reinstalling, rebooting, which didn`t seem to help. So then I tried out a number of antivirus solutions, including Microsoft Security Essentials (which gave me a headache because I then kept getting notices after every single reboot that I was still infected with viruses, even after cleaning them -- later I found out this might have been a bug too), and Malwarebytes, which didn't find anything. I even tried TDSSKiller, which a lot of people seemed to have success with, but it only found one low-level threat and once eliminated it did not solve the problem. I also get an error code when trying to initiate Windows Firewall.

I`m not a techie so I don`t know how to include reports on my problems, but I`d be happy to try. The computer is brand new, practically has no personal data on it, and basically runs smoothly and quickly otherwise, but these problems are worrisome all the same. I`m considering formatting but I`ve never done that before, and I`m not sure it will even solve the problem. Any help would be much appreciated -- thanks!!!

lonicus
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: browsers behaving strangely...infected?

Post by Dr Jay on Sat May 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Please visit this webpage for a tutorial on downloading and running ComboFix:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

See the area: Using ComboFix, and when done, post the log back here.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top