GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

Custom Build - Not powering on - PSU button Stuck

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Custom Build - Not powering on - PSU button Stuck

Post by CrashOverride9 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:10 am

Hi there,

So I am building a gaming rig for a friend of mine. I have a good amount of experience with computers and would consider myself at least of intermediate level, however this is the first time I've build a computer as complex at this type.

The case is a Cooler Master HAF X and the PSU is an Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power Supply.

When I tried powering the machine on there looks to be a surge of electricity for a second or two (even the some of the fans start to spin and the LED comes on) and then it just dies.

Another poroblem is the On/Off switch of the PSU is stuck in the On position. It will not click to the off position.

I tried sawpping the Power button wire with the Reset Button wire on the MotherBoard and the same thing happens so I'm assuming the problem is PSU related.

Having a look online, I saw that someone had said to check that the CPU fan is mounted correctly. I am almost 100 percent sure it is but I will recheck this the next time I am at the computer. I'm just wondering if there are any other possibilities to look into before I start looking to get a new PSU.

Regards.

CrashOverride9
Novice
Novice

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Custom Build - Not powering on - PSU button Stuck

Post by T0k3n on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 am

What motherboard and CPU are you currently using?
I would suggest removing the components from the case and bench test.
Check that the correct amount of motherboard stand-offs are installed and in the right location.

-Place the motherboard outside the case (a piece of cardboard underneath or the motherboard box)
-Install CPU and heatsink
-Install one memory module
-If equipped with onboard graphics use this (graphics card removed)
-Connect PSU ATX connections to motherboard
-Momentarily short the two power pins to see if the PC will start.

T0k3n
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top