Malware Antimalware bytes download

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Malware Antimalware bytes download

Post by zmobile on 9th February 2012, 1:25 pm

Please could you advise me. I downloaded MBAM from the CNet site in December 2011. I have only just read that CNet is not really a safe place to download from. I am also running Avast and have a feeling that I took that from the same site. Should I un-install both of these and then re install from a safer site? I have the free version of both of these. Also, can I have SpyBot running alongside MBAM and Avast and is this a good idea or would you suggest some other combination? I use my PC for Internet Banking besides normal web surfing.

I am a relative beginner regarding PC techie stuff but can follow instructions :smile2:
Thanks

zmobile
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 1
Joined Joined : 2012-02-09
OS OS : Windows XP
Points Points : 17653
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Malware Antimalware bytes download

Post by Jan2011 on 10th February 2012, 2:03 pm

Hello and welcome. I know Malwarebytes has been using CNET as their download site.

Do you remember where you heard that CNET was not safe?

I wonder if CNET downloads may have included something like unwanted toolbars. Just watch as you use the installer and make sure you're not downloading unnecessary apps that CNET may have bundled.

Jan2011
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 616
Joined Joined : 2011-01-17
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 25595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 10th February 2012, 4:57 pm

You're referring to something like this: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/CNET-CBS-Malware-Trojan-Nmap,news-13410.html

AND

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/12/06/popular-security-tool-nmap-at-the-middle-of-a-security-brouhaha/

For the most part, the downloads on CNET Download.com are fairly safe. Just watch for the unwanted toolbars, as Jan has suggested.

For best results, find downloads at their official sites.

Malwarebytes.org is a good place to go, it will point you to the right download site (including CNET).

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Posts Posts : 14309
Joined Joined : 2009-09-06
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 10 Home & Pro
Arch. Arch. : x64 (64-bit)
Protection Protection : Bitdefender Total Security
Points Points : 302960
# Likes # Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttons on 11th February 2012, 1:03 am

Personally I stopped using CNET since they started wrapping programs into a proprietary installer. I would recommend filehippo.com as malwarebytes uses a rotating download link meaning it 's random(could be Cnet, majorgeeks and a few others).

Buttons
Leader's Leader
Leader's Leader

Posts Posts : 869
Joined Joined : 2010-06-11
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : 7 Ultimate x64
Points Points : 26316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top