Computer won't boot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Computer won't boot

Post by snackshot on 9th January 2012, 9:01 am

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop running Windows 7, problems I have encountered are this. When I boot up a black screen appears with 2 options Launch Startup Repair or Start windows normally. When I launch Windows normally the Windows 7 screen appears stays on for about a minute then it flashes a blue screen containing text then shuts down.
When I use the startup repair It tells me that it is unable to detect any faults, or unable to repair faults. Also it tells me that it cannot find an image nor will it let me use system restore. I have had intermittent problems with it since the HDD was changed last year after it became corrupt, could this be the same problem or something worse.
I have looked in the boot section of the bios menu to see if there is any way to do a boot in safe mode but there is not. Is there anyone out there that can help. I have been told that the text filled blue screen is known as the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH now I don't know if this is related to HDD faults processor faults or what any help here would be greatly appreciated

snackshot
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 23
Joined Joined : 2009-10-19
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 26257
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer won't boot

Post by Jan2011 on 10th January 2012, 12:31 am

Could be the hard drive. Try booting in Safe Mode.
Instructions follow:

* Turn the computer on.
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu should appear. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again. If F8 doesn't work try F5.
* Use the Up and Down arrow keys to find and highlight Safe Mode.
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe Mode.
* Log on with an account that has administrator privileges, usually your own account (NOT the account named Administrator).

Jan2011
Leader
Leader

Posts Posts : 616
Joined Joined : 2011-01-17
Points Points : 25595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snackshot on 10th January 2012, 12:53 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try and post results here

snackshot
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snackshot on 12th January 2012, 12:12 pm

Hi there
I tried what you suggested but with no luck.The system still wouldn't boot in safe mode. I have now formatted the hard drive and done a fresh Windows install and all seems to be well at the moment. All I can put it down to is that some corrupt software had got to the HDD to stop it from booting up.
Thanks for all the help offered and should the problem arise again I have new knowledge to refer to.

snackshot
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jan2011 on 12th January 2012, 1:40 pm

You are lucky in that you had the disk to reinstall Windows. Keep monitoring the situation because it could be a hard drive.

Also make sure you're running good malware protection and this it's updating properly.

Jan2011
Leader
Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katz on 13th January 2012, 5:36 pm

My laptop has done exactly the same thing. Since it did the updates on Tuesday night I have been unable to start my computer. I get the 2 options that the original poster got and neither of them worked. Then I tried the f8 option to try to start in safe mode and it wouldn't even start in safe mode... it just puts you back to the original page where it says launch start up repair or start windows normally.

I really hate to have to take it back to factory settings. I have had a lot of issues after updates but this one is the worst.

any other suggestions to help would be greatly appreciated!!

Katz
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 3
Joined Joined : 2012-01-13
OS OS : windows 7
Points Points : 17950

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jan2011 on 13th January 2012, 9:20 pm

A disk read error typically indicates a problem with the hard drive. I suggest you check the disk for errors.

1) boot using your Vista install disk
2) Select your language
3) Click on REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER
4) Choose the operating system you want to repair. There's probably only one to choose from. If none are listed, try restoring the image again.
5) At the System Recovery Options window, select COMMAND PROMPT.
6) You should get a black window with white writing. After the "...>" prompt, type in chkdsk /r and press ENTER.

Chkdsk will run. It may take a couple of hours.

Jan2011
Leader
Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katz on 14th January 2012, 2:05 am

What I am getting does not allow me to start my computer even in safe mode. When I do try to start it in safe mode, it tries to start and then I get the same screen that shows just 2 options : Launch Startup Repair or Start windows normally. When I launch start up repair I get a message saying that it could not be repaired, and then offers to send /don't send the information. Since I am not able to boot up the computer I choose don't send (although I did try send once today with no difference in the results). I can not get the computer to boot (even in safe mode) to a command prompt so I am unable to run a chkdsk .

Katz
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katz on 14th January 2012, 2:07 am

And just to clarify this happened RIGHT AFTER the updates finished. I have had issues in the past and have read about issues with the .Net Framework updates causing these problems. If so .... is there anything I can do ... I can't even get it in to try to restore to a restore point.

Katz
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snackshot on 14th January 2012, 1:47 pm

Katz
The problem I had was exactly the same. After you launch start "Windows Repair" and it has gone through it's cycle it should give you a grey box with different options, to either finish or retry. Click finish and from there it should display another box containg the following:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Re image your computer
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt
It is from that screen that you can carry out the disk check that JAN 11 mentioned.

snackshot
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snackshot on 14th January 2012, 1:53 pm

Jan 11
I bought my Windows 7 OS when I upgraded from Vista last year I am running good malware and spyware protection software now (NORTON) but to be on the safe side I will run a disk error check if the same happens.

snackshot
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top