Suspected explorer.exe issue

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suspected explorer.exe issue

Post by megz1621 on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi,
I am currently dealing with my very first virus (lucky me!), and would greatly appreciate any help I can get!
I'm running Windows Vista, and I was running Trend Micro Titanium until about 36 hours ago.
I'm not completely sure what it is that I have, but it is blocking just about every anti-virus program I throw at it. It will not allow me to open Trend at all, and it will not allow me to scan using Malwarebytes (though it will block things for me for a limited period of time.) It won't allow me to install AVG at all.
The notices I get from Malwarebytes (while it's working) say that they are blocking outgoing connection attempts from explorer.exe to several different IP addresses (which I can post here if it would be helpful).
I am also getting queries from the system asking if I want to open navcancl, which it says is an ieframe.dll
Furthermore, my Google search results are being tampered with, and sending me to all sorts of scammy looking search engines (reloading the page generally takes me to the correct URL though).
I have tried opening Trend and Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, but that has also failed. Malwarebytes will open, but will quit about 5 seconds after I start scanning (as soon as it gets to the infected file, I suspect).

I have also tried all three of the diagnostic tools recommended in the "read before posting" sticky, but two of them quit before they finished (OTL and Avast), and the third just sat there saying "collecting information" and then "preparing done!" but it didn't give me a notepad document?

Any insights into what I might try next?
Thank you!!!

megz1621

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : Vista

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected explorer.exe issue

Post by megz1621 on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:00 am

Hi Dave,
Just wanted to provide an update: I have been trying all afternoon to reinstall Trend, and it is not working.
It is suggesting that I have a corrupted

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

and that I need to install/update it to complete the installation.

I have tried a fresh uninstall/reinstall of both Trend and this Microsoft Visual component, but it's still giving me this error.

Do you think that this is something the RootKit did?

megz1621

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Superdave on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:12 am

Do you think that this is something the RootKit did?.
Anything is possible. Please try this. Download and install MSE from MS and see if it will install. Also, get all your Windows updates.

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows Vista\Windows 7 -

Superdave
Tech Staff

Tech Staff

Operating System : Windows 8.1 and a dual-boot with XP Home SP3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by megz1621 on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:54 am

Hi Dave,
It installed. I seem to be having trouble with the updates though - apparently they have been failing for a while now.
There are multiple security updates that are failing to install. Is there anything I can do about this?

megz1621

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Superdave on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm

Please run a full scan with MSE and let me know if it finds anything.

Superdave
Tech Staff

Tech Staff

Operating System : Windows 8.1 and a dual-boot with XP Home SP3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top