MS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION

Post by roseytaos on Wed 11 May 2011, 11:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi - I'm writing from another computer...the infected machine is in safe mode -- and running a malwarebytes full scan. I don't seem to be able to get on the internet to download anything - or send you any scan results. I might have a double usb cable that could let me patch this computer to that one? Hope you can help! This virus seems scary/nasty!!!

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

Operating System : xp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION

Post by roseytaos on Tue 17 May 2011, 2:10 am

Good morning Crush. Hope you had a good weekend. I've found a bunch of discs -- 1) Operating System Reinstallation 2) Application 3) Drives and Utilities 4) Microsoft Works 9 I'm ready to proceed with the reformatting. I just wanted to double check with you that its not possible that we got some kind of "false positive". I totally trust your expertise--just found it odd that the machine seems to be running well and that over the weekend the spybot, malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials scans came up with nothing. Again, I'll do whatever you suggest. Thanks!

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Tue 17 May 2011, 4:15 am

Personally, just for peace of mind I would go ahead with the reformat. We could probably chase this down and remove it but there's no telling what would happen along the way, how long it would take etc.

You've got everything you'll need to reformat and get up and running very fast

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Tue 17 May 2011, 5:28 am

Okay, sounds good. It looks like I will have a chunk of time Wed AM to reformat. I will have another computer from which I can be in touch with you during that process. Thanks again for your help.

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Tue 17 May 2011, 7:49 am

Sounds good . Talk to you then

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Fri 20 May 2011, 10:13 am

HI Crush --

There were no popup prompts, so I went to my computer, clicked on the CD, clicked the setup.exe, then selected - īnstall Windows XP.

Windows Setup now tells me that "setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD. To erase the newer version and install the older version, restart the computer, boot from this CD and follow the instructions for a new installation.

What does that mean exactly, to "boot from this CD"?

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Sat 21 May 2011, 3:27 am

Hi,

You'll need to reboot the machine and it will ask you to hit any key to boot from the CD. If it doesn't, hit F12 and select CD ROM Drive

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Sun 22 May 2011, 1:50 am

Crush?

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Sun 22 May 2011, 4:06 am

Did you see my previous post?

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Mon 30 May 2011, 9:42 am

Hi Crush -- It's showing a list of "existing partitions and unpartitioned space" Do I want to set up XP on the C:Partition1 (NTFS)? or on Unpartitioned Space? Do I want to delete the selected partition? It's giving me all of those options.

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Mon 30 May 2011, 10:25 am

Yes. Delete the selected partition

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Mon 30 May 2011, 10:30 am

ok. Now do i also delete the Unpartitioned space (238373MB)?

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Mon 30 May 2011, 10:45 am

Sure. You can delete that too

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Mon 30 May 2011, 2:21 pm

Okay, the installation has completed. The graphics seem a little fuzzy -- almost like I was in safe mode. Also, I don't know how to go about setting it up so that it connects to the wireless internet that we have at the house. What do you suggest I do to get everything set up again? Thanks--

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Tue 31 May 2011, 1:44 am

Hi Crush - I just tried to take the Windows XP Tour -- and I'm not getting any sound on the computer. I tried to adjust sound settings but I didn't seem to be able to. I'm also wondering if I need to load any of these other discs -- Application (for reinstalling Dell MediaDirect), Microsoft Works 9, or the Drivers and Utilities disc....

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Tue 31 May 2011, 2:54 am

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Tue 31 May 2011, 3:33 am

Hi -I'm assuming I'm supposed to install everything on this disc? Utilities, Drivers, Diagnostic Utility and Applications. I'm encountering some problems -- On the audio driver -- Knowles Acoustics Speech Enhancement - installation failed. (Guessing that's ok). In the Communication Drivers, the modem one succeeded - all 4 others which are broadband mini-cards failed bc it couldn't find the device. Guessing that's ok too? I guess I'll just keep going through the disc and installing all I can...
R

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

Yes, install what you can and we'll go from there.

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:02 am

Hi Crush, I've installed all I can from that disc. Some items, like several of the mobile broadband cards could not be detected. I got a pop up notice when I restarted the computer that a an application driver was not installed. I was directed to go to the add/remove programs and click repair on the Intel Proset/wireless. I did this and everything says installed and good -- except the Pre-Logon Connect (Not Present) and Administrator Tool (Not Present).
On the bottom of the screen I now have a little icon with an x. When I click it I get a message that Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless software was unable to detect a supported wireless adapter. Please install a supported adapter. Another popup window says Driver is not installed. A problem has been detected Click troubleshoot to resolve the problem. When I click troubleshoot I'm sent back to the help page that sent me to repair the software. It also says it that doesn't work I should download and install the latest software for my adapter from support.dell.com Did I perhaps miss something on that disc? I feel that I tried to download everything....

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 6:19 am

Hi,

If you navigate here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can enter your service tag and get the missing stuff specific to your machine.

Alternatively, you could use Device Manager to obtain them from the internet Device Manager is accessed via Start>Run devmgmt.msc

Right click and choose Update Driver on anything with a Yellow !

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 7:45 am

chicken/egg problem? Can't connect to the internet to go to dell support. When I try to reinstall the driver the wizard can't find the software and asks to connect to the internet to search for it. If I know another place where it might be located I can direct it there. Is it on that driver disc? I've already installed the ProSet software twice from that disc. Perhaps I can go to the dell support site from this computer, find the correct software and put it on a disc? Please advise. R

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Hi,

I actually had this same issue on a machine I was working on for a friend the other day.

I took another machine, went to the Dell site I linked to above, got the wireless driver by entering the service tag and installed it off a USB. Can you do that?

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 1:55 am

Okay, I can try that. I have a double usb cable. I'm seeing a lot of stuff I can download:
3 applications, 2 audio, 1 BIOS, 1 cd/dvd, 2 chipset, 1 diagnostics, 1 mouse and keyboard, 4 network, 1 SATA drives, and 1 system utilities. I guess I just need the one(s) that will allow my machine to get online? Then I can download any others from my machine? HMMM-- just plugged in usb cable and my computer shows no indication of recognizing a hookup. Don't see anything on MY Computer and nothing popped up.... Is there something else to try? Perhaps I can download the needed driver and put it on a disc?

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:56 am

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roseytaos on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

This is very frustrating. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've entered my tag, and gotten a list of stuff to download. When I hit download, what downloads is something called Dell Drive Download Manager, an application. When I click that it says that there are no drivers selected to download. What I thought I was downloading was: R209077.EXE, which I would then extract and install on my other computer. The weird thing is that no matter what I select to download from that Dell page, what it tells me I've selected to download is that download manager. ???WTF??? Also, once I get that squared away, I'm not sure i'm trying to get the right driver. There's one Dell-Driver that's considered "recommended" which applies to a whole list of mini-cards. Then there's another that they call "optional" which is an Intel Driver, which applies to the Intel PRO/Wireless network connection (which I recognize I think) and the (R) Wireless wifi link 4965 AGN. Which do I want?

roseytaos

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crush on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

Ah. There should be another option under that called Download Via Internet Browser. Click that and it will circumvent the Dell Download Manager. You'll need both drivers actually

Crush

Tech Officer
Tech Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: