Vista will not boot past Welcome Screen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vista will not boot past Welcome Screen

Post by mando on Tue 10 May 2011, 12:07 am

Hello –
I am having a problem with Windows Vista booting past the Welcome Screen. It just stalls. Sometimes saying WELCOME and others PLEASE WAIT. This started when I tried to boot my system on Friday. On Thursday the computer worked fine but I did have issues when attempting to update an IPOD touch using Itunes. I ended up having to retore the touch. I only mention this because this was the oly issue to occur prior to my problem in case it matters. I also did notice while restoring that a automatic windows update was installed the day before this all happened. Currently, I am able to boot in safe modes no problem. Below is what I have tried over the weekend to fix this:

1. I have run “scannow” and a message comes back that I have corrupted system files that need repair and could not be repaired by scannow. I tried to enter the path to find the files that were corrupted in the logs but could not get it to work from my prompt.
2. I have run CHKDSK which stalls at approx 96% of step 5 of 5 when checking the free space (ran twice with same result).
3. I ran the diagnostics from my original disks and a code 0F00:075D System File Integrity.
4. I also did a system restore back to about a week ago and that did nothing.
5. System Repair - same results there were files that could not be repaired.
6. I also ran Malwarebytes and there were not infected items.

Is there anything I can do to identify and correct the corrupted files and fix them without reinstalling Vista?
If not and I have to do a reinstall is there an easy way to preserve my programs and easily transfer them over once the system install is complete? I have everything backed up to a external drive. However, many of the programs I have were downloaded and I don’t have the information to re-download them. (I know I know lesson learned)

Thanks for any advise. I have been messing around with this all weekend and cannot figure it out.

Last edited by mando on Tue 10 May 2011, 12:20 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

mando

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : vista

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vista will not boot past Welcome Screen

Post by mando on Tue 10 May 2011, 12:16 am

Dup

mando

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer