GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

pc only starts in "F1" half the time it ignores my commands..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

pc only starts in "F1" half the time it ignores my commands..

Post by xcaret on Wed May 04, 2011 3:52 am

About 3 days ago my pc didn't shut down so I pulled the plug .Since then its been acting up ,I pulled the plug before with no bad results.Now it doesn't always load my settings ,just goes black .other times it shows my desk top less the icons. I have a XP disk but my cd drive isnt working.It doesnt even show up in my directory. when I click on favorites sometimes instead of showing me all that I book marked ,it asks if I want to add the page I'm on to favorites. Yesterday I cleaned it with Malware bytes antimalware ,and then super anti spyware ,so I dont think I have a virus or anything.My pc is legit and I have the registration numbers microsoft gives .Can I download windows xp ( like what I have ) and re-do the whole thing? Or is there some way to fix it with out doing all thaty? .
Neil

xcaret
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: pc only starts in "F1" half the time it ignores my commands..

Post by Dr Jay on Wed May 04, 2011 5:53 am

Please visit this webpage for a tutorial on downloading and running ComboFix:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

See the area: Using ComboFix, and when done, post the log back here.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Administrator
Administrator

# Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xcaret on Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm

I already had combofix from several months ago whenyou rescued me, but it said error when I tried to run it I deleted it and downloaded the one from bleeping cpmputers and its saying the same thing. As soon as I click on it to "run" a box apears saying error or corupt. This pc is kinda beat up ,the usb ports on the front are all busted up ,If you don't have a fairley easy fix I will not mind getting another pc,I buy em used for $100.00 or so. The only thing is they are all running windows XP and I hear its not taking updates from msn anymore .Would that matter much ,or is it even true?

xcaret
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 am

It would be of much better advantage to buy a low cost PC from HP or Dell.

Here is a couple very good, low cost, PCs:

Other than that, what other diagnostics would you like to do on the current computer?

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Administrator
Administrator

# Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top