MS removal tool - Malwarebytes doesn't fix (also forum posting issues)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MS removal tool - Malwarebytes doesn't fix (also forum posting issues)

Post by Belahzur on Fri May 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Hello.
One more fix to do, just something I want to be sure of.

• Now open a new notepad file.
  • Input this into the notepad file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
    "25565:TCP"=-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Logan\My Documents\Downloads\Minecraft.exe"=-

• Save this as fix.reg, save it to your desktop.
  • Double click fix.reg to run it.
  • Select yes to the registry merge prompt.

I see that you are running FrostWire.
P2P(Peer to peer) applications are designed to help you easily share and distribute files between you and a group of people. But they can also be used to distribute malware, and thus are not considered safe.
The removal of these programs is optional, but highly recommended.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs.

Adobe Reader 9.1.2
    Java(TM) 6 Update 22
    FrostWire 4.20.7

Updating Java:

• Download the latest version of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • In the Window that opens, select your platform, check the "agree" box, and click Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u25-windows-i586.exe that you downloaded to install the newest version.

Then download and install [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, please update Firefox again, update 4.0.1 was released a few days back. How is the machine running now?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34916
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : XP SP3 Media Centre
Points Points : 245069
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MS removal tool - Malwarebytes doesn't fix (also forum posting issues)

Post by logester on Sat May 21, 2011 2:49 am

You should update the instructions to Updating Java a bit.

Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 25.
Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
On the new page, check the "agree" box.
After you have agreed, find (you press Ctrl+F and paste) jre-6u25-windows-i586.exe, across from Windows x86 Offline
Click it to download it.
Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u25-windows-i586.exe that you downloaded to install the newest version.

Finally got around to [and figuring out that the instructions needed updating for] updating Java tonight, as I started a new job 2 weeks ago. Since nothing was updated, in the past 2 weeks, I got attacked by a similar virus, Malware Protection. I may have mentioned it before, I forget. It blocks all internet access unless in SafeMode with Networking with a task bar pop up saying W32/Blaster.worm. (However the last time it still popped up in Safe Mode), however Combo-Fix was able to kill it ever time by deleting defender.exe. (however the last time I tried, Combo-Fix had deleted itself saying it was out of date, so I had to re-download it form this thread while in Safe Mode With Networking).

Other than those 3 specific attacks, I have not had any other issues. All 3 attacks seemed to happen late at night [between midnight and 3am Atlantic time] while I had a DragonAge wikia page open. Not sure if it's the site or just the time. The first attack was from a movie streaming site heavily-laden with ads and such.

logester
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 24
Joined Joined : 2011-05-01
OS OS : Windows XP
Points Points : 20808
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top