I'd like to be proactive to my PC-using friends...help remove malware from MAC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'd like to be proactive to my PC-using friends...help remove malware from MAC

Post by cmk59 on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:29 pm

Hello! I run a Mac with OSX Leopard. Recently, in surfing the Net (and using sites 'certified OK' by WOT), I seem to have picked up a PC virus that tries to hijack my Web browser (I use Firefox). When I click on a site address, there's a redirect, than I get a "WINDOWS" scan and "WARNING" message as the browser window collapses. If I click on the smaller browser window, I get a message that if I'll download "Antispy 2011 Setup", I'll be rid of the problem. Yeah, right.

I can "X out" and close the window, but it's just a pain in the butt, and I don't want anyone else to be infected and suffer any damage.

I've run Mac Scan and Zebra Scanner, but nothing's been found. I'm no 'techie' by any stretch, so how can I remove this from my Mac without screwing something else up?

Thanks!!!
Chuck

Last edited by Crush on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed email)

cmk59

Unborn
Unborn

Operating System : Mac OSX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'd like to be proactive to my PC-using friends...help remove malware from MAC

Post by cmk59 on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 4:09 am

(Wish I could figure out how to do this the right way, but here goes, anyhow.)
Original answer to my question:
Mac malware

* Quote message

From Jan2011 To cmk59, Today at 7:57 am
Hello,

I read your post in the malware section of the forum. I run a Mac and have run into a virus problem with Firefox. The malware put on the screen something that looked like a Window's screen. I think that's actually an animated gif file.

Anyway, I was able to fix it by deleting the Firefox preference file. It was located in my user account > Library > Preference folder. I found and deleted the org.mozilla.firefox.plist file.

Then I restarted.

When Firefox starts, if it doesn't see the preference file, it will simply create a new one. Some of your Firefox tweeks may be lost. You may have to change things to your liking.

If you're concerned about deleting the plist file, move it to your desktop instead. Once you see that Firefox is working, you can then safely delete the file you moved to the desktop.

Note: I am not a tech here, only a user offering an opinion.

Jan2011

---------------- I executed the procedure Jan2011 listed, and it worked perfectly! In fact, it told me my Firefox had been compromised for some time, as the access speed between pages has dramatically increased. I can't thank you enough for your assistance, Jan2011, and I hope everyone else reading this - PC or Mac - benefits!

cmk59

cmk59

Unborn
Unborn

Operating System : Mac OSX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum