SystemTool virus caused hard disk error? Can't start Windows Vista

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SystemTool virus caused hard disk error? Can't start Windows Vista

Post by not_tech_literate on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 2:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi,
Have never posted on a site like this so here goes...

We have somehow got the SystemTool virus ("your're in danger etc etc") which appeared suddenly on our Dell Inspiron 1545 (running Windows Vista). We have McAfee but that obviously hasn't stopped it.

We have the wallpaper that others describe, etc, and it has disabled the McAfee and also my copy of MalWare MBAM which I still had on my desktop from a few months ago when we had a problem with malware.

It shut down the computer suddenly and when trying to reboot we got the black screen with white text saying "Windows cannot start..." etc etc.
I have tried to reboot in SafeMode (using F8) and we still get "Windows cannot start".

I selected StartUp Repair but I got "StartUp repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

I ran the Advanced Diagnostics, got to Symptom Tree and selected "cannot boot up OS" (or something equivalent to that) - passed most of the tests but in the end got an error message 0F00:1332 and 06 said CorruptVolume (I've noticed a lot of people on these forums seem to get CorruptFile at this point but mine was definitely Corrupt Volume).

I then tried Last Known Good Configuration and this did start the machine so I can see the desktop but I think i'm right in assuming that it's not SafeMode? it's still infected, showing the same wallpaper, fake SystemTool scanner, warnings that your computer is infected etc and I can't run any of the antivirus stuff or perform a scan etc (as I said above). I have been searching online for help and one site said to stop the virus (before removing it) I should right click on the fake client (I don't understand what this is?!) and find the .exe name, then go and rename it. Is this correct? How do I do this?

Basically I am out of my depth and don't know whether I caused more harm by going back into it in Last Known Good Configuration. I am also worried that my hard disk is damaged as googling the error codes I've got so far, it sounds bad!

Can anyone help?! I would really appreciate it. I'm finding that it's a bit mindblowing trying to search other people's posts who've had similar problems, as they are never quite the same as mine and I don't know enough about computers to determine what is relevant to me!
Thanks in advance!
joanne

PS forgot to say, I see that you recommend downloading the OTL program and running this to get an idea of what's going on - but I'm not sure the virus will let me open Internet Explorer - and I'm worried that I'll spread the virus if I open IE. Can I get the OTL onto the computer in another way?

not_tech_literate

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : Vista

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SystemTool virus caused hard disk error? Can't start Windows Vista

Post by not_tech_literate on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:56 am

Also you were going to recommend another browser?

not_tech_literate

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm

If the machine is running as normal, then I'd say your good to go.

Please read the following information that I have provided, which will help you prevent malicious software in the future. Please keep in mind, malware is a continuous danger on the Internet. It is highly important to stay safe while browsing, to prevent re-infection.

Software recommendations

AntiSpyware

• SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster is a program that prevents spyware from installing on your computer. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster may be found here.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy is a spyware and adware removal program. It also has realtime protection, TeaTimer to help safeguard your computer against spyware. (The link for Spybot - Search & Destroy contains a tutorial that will help you download, install, and begin using Spybot).

NOTE: Please keep ALL of these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems.

Resident Protection help
A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall, and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors such as SpywareBlaster can be run with any of them.

Rogue programs help
There are a lot of rogue programs out there that want to scare you into giving them your money and some malware actually claims to be security programs. If you get a popup for a security program that you did not install yourself, do NOT click on it and ask for help immediately. It is very important to run an antivirus and firewall, but you can't always rely on reviews and ads for information. Ask in a security forum that you trust if you are not sure. If you are unsure and looking for anti-spyware programs, you can find out if it is a rogue here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Securing your computer

• Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • hpHosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer's loopback address, meaning it will be difficult to infect your computer in the future.

Please consider using an alternate browser
Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScript, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.

If you are interested:

• Firefox may be downloaded from here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • Opera is available here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • Google Chrome is available here: Google Chrome
  • SRWare Iron is available here: SRWare Iron

Thank you for choosing GeekPolice. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

@RealBelahzur - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur

Manager | Tech Officer
Manager | Tech Officer

Operating System : XP SP3 Media Centre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by not_tech_literate on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 9:01 am

Beelazhur, thank you so much for your help. I am so grateful and pleased that you have "salvaged" my computer from the virus, this site is fantastic and I will be donating.
Keep it up - you are doing amazing work!
Thanks again.

not_tech_literate

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2