GeForce6100M-M2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GeForce6100M-M2

Post by netsniper on 23rd January 2011, 7:45 pm

Hello People I'm not a spring chicken but not yet ready for the sky king either, anyway to get to my problem I have always built my own Pc's for the last 20 years or so but I'm no tech. My system consists of a GeForce6100M-M2 motherboard and a Athlon AMD 64 duel core 5200+ 2.60 GHz with 2Gb Ram, and a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 graphics card with Win 7 now here comes the problem I have 2 Hdd and a cd/dvd combo and I want to add a 3rd drive but when I do it knocks out the cd/dvd or another drive or its not picked up at all? I should add here that I have 1x 160Gb SATA drive and the second drive is an 80Gb, the one I want to add is a 160Gb drive, I have 1 drive connected to the no1 SATA and the second drive connected to the IDE along with the cd/dvd drive, my intention was to use an IDE to SATA adaptor for the 3rd drive, I have tried all sorts of combinations but still I get the same problem with it not recognising the added drive or losing an existing one? I also have an 80Gb drive which I connect to my usb as and when I need it which is fine, so can you guy's tell me is this because my board won't support any more that 2 HDD or is there something I'm missing?
:sad:

netsniper
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 5
Joined Joined : 2009-10-13
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7
Points Points : 26175
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GeForce6100M-M2

Post by WickedL1 on 28th January 2011, 12:09 am

-slides in with her airtreks still spinning- sky queen here!

I've heard of this issue in the past but I never personally solved it, 2nd time is a charm I guess.

Let me lay this out just for my eyes to understand and confirm this better as I don't do well with walls of text Smile

HDD1 - SATA
HDD2 and CD/DVD - IDE in Master/Slave setup
HDD3 - IDE to SATA adapter(where the SATA end connects to the MoBo

In the BIOS do all the drives show up at all?
What is the boot order?

I believe what is happening here is the third drive is trying to think it's connecting to an IDE on the board, also the jumper settings on that third drive may be a problem if that is the case...

What I suggest is to check and post the above, confirm the third drive is set as a slave on the jumper(usually jumper settings are printed onto the HDD, if not google is your friend still). Also confirm the drive 2 and cd/dvd are set as master and slave.

You can have a master ATA drive and a master SATA drive as long as you ensure the boot order/config is correct.

As an after thought, I'd suggest to use the 80gb ATA as an external device, it will allow for the 160gb ATA to connect on that IDE cable where the cd/dvd drive sits, solving the problem. It's a small drive, 1 less thing inside your box driving up heat/noise, and 1 less thing your psu has to power. External enclosures are fairly cheap and provide that portable freedom if you like sharing. I personally have turned all my old 80gb hdd's into externals and now I just plug in whichever I need, which isn't often but sometimes I need to lend out one of them to help out with back ups and the like.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

WickedL1
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 21
Joined Joined : 2011-01-25
OS OS : WinVista 64, Win7 64, WinXP Pro
Protection Protection : Spybot, HijackThis, NOD32
Points Points : 21655
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down