Hard Drive Diagnostic - Vista doesn't open MBAM after restart

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hard Drive Diagnostic - Vista doesn't open MBAM after restart

Post by Belahzur on 7th February 2011, 1:29 am

Hello.

B) Can I please get my “edit”-buttons back? How?

On your posts do you mean?

A) Were the picture-translations satisfying? Do you want me to translate McAfee-printscreen-scheme or ComboFix-log anyway?

No thanks, there good enough now.

B) What about the consequences of not having been able to execute the ComboFix-procedure properly, especially the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console?

Aslong as nothing unexpected happens, doesn't matter, the RC is so if anything goes wrong, we can fix it.

I’d rather think that would mean it had become a “real” Internet Explorer shortcut than a virus-remnant now possibly wouldn’t be completely removed, but as I’m not sure, I thought to mention it anyway…

It's fine, aslong as it's gone.

If the machine is running fine, then all should be well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34916
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : XP SP3 Media Centre
Points Points : 245079
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Diepzeeknikker on 26th February 2011, 7:38 pm

Hi...

Yes on my posts I mean (get my "edit"-buttons back).
If you'd ever like some help to make a mess... Cheers Mate LMBO or ROFL

OVERVIEW: (D from Done, C from Consequence, Q from Question)

D1) Windows in Safe Mode with Networking -> MBAM -> quick scan (1) -> 229 infected objects (MBAM left 2 of them unselected and therefore these objects were not removed). -> At restart to complete process system tray displays message some programs are blocked. -> Administrator permission -> nothing happens -> dubbelclick MBAM's shortcut on desktop -> main program -> quick scan (2) -> 2 infected objects (which I'm convinced MBAM already detected during first scan, but for some reason weren't selected for removal).

D1C1) Background desktop turned black -> selected picture to put on it. => Thus far no further problems with that. Right On!

D1C2) Layout (the picture) shortcut Hard Drive Diagnostic made on desktop changed -> ComboFix turned into "Real?" Internet Explorer-shortcut (Post 15) -> "deleted" previous to running ESET-scan (Post 22). => Thus far no further problems with that. Right On!

D1C3) "Blinking" shortcuts (especially at shutdown) -> ComboFix => Ever since having run ComboFix I havn't noticed any "blinking" shortcuts anymore (at least so far). Right On!

D1C4) Dial-up more likely to emerge -> From your comments it seems to me that probably has to do more with my wireless connection than with my computer being infected.
=> Q1) Do I have to live with the dial-up or is there something (other than switching to hardwire) that can fix or at least improve the situation? Let me think (F.e.: Internet Explorer -> Extra -> Internet Options -> tab Connections -> alter "Dial whenever there is no network connection" into "Never dial a connection"?) Annoyed or Unimpress

D2) Making efforts to disable AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications (Posts 9-15) -> ComboFix (your Post 5 and my Post 15).

D2C1) Microsoft Windows Recovery Console was not mentioned. -> Googled MWRC and found something like the MWRC in earlier versions of Windows has been removed in Vista and replaced by several tools: The System Recovery Options menu.
=> Q2) Do I understand correctly ComboFix does install the MWRC in earlier versions of Windows, but not in Vista because in Vista the MWRC has been replaced by the SROM - which should be either on the Windows installation disc or preinstalled (hopefully so in my case, as I told before there was NOT A SINGLE DISC with my computer) - and together with the fact "nothing unexpected (?<=>? D2C2 & D2C3) happened" running ComboFix I shouldn't worry? (For now?) Shouldn't I check whether SROM (or any other piece of recovery you'd recommend) is installed on my computer - and if not take precautions - in case something would go wrong in the futur? Let me think

D2C2) At ComboFix-reboot “CEC_MAIN.exe”-error-box appears (Posts 15 & 17)

-> Googled “CEC_MAIN.exe”: probably would have something to do with the build-in-webcam on my Toshiba (which I havn't used so far, although would like to be able to whenever it suits me).
=> Q3) What do I do with that? Let me think

D2C3) Ever since having run ComboFix I get Security-Warning-windows using Internet Explorer (Posts 15 &17)
and
=> Q4) Do I have to live with continuously Yes, OK, Yes,... or is there something that can fix or at least improve the situation? Let me think (F.e.: Internet Explorer -> Extra -> Internet Options -> tab Advanced -> uncheck "Warn if it switches between secured and unsecured mode"?) Annoyed or Unimpress

D3) ESET Online Scanner, leaving all the default settings as they were (Post22) -> scan -> 4 files infected and cleaned -> take a look at “List of found threats” (Post 23) -> click on Back-button (wanting to take a look at “Manage quarantine”) forced on Finish-button too -> log traceless.

Being convinced ‘want-to-buy ESET-products’-window appeared by pressing through click on Back-button onto Finish-button, both "Uninstall application on close" and "Delete quarantined files" should have stayed as they were: unchecked.

Consequently I'd think the (4) files (infected and cleaned) should still be somewhere on my computer - be it in quarantine.
=> Q5) Where do I find these quarantined files and what do I do with them? Let me think

Q6) If I understand correctly, scans do quarantine items they consider possibly harmful, but not delete them in case an item should be "misinterpreted" so it could be placed back. What happens to the quarantine (and the quarantined items in it) once the program which has quarantined gets deleted/uninstalled from the computer? Let me think

Q7) Should I perform another ESET-scan? If so, should I check “Scan for potentially unsafe applications”? At finish check "Uninstall application on close" and/or "Delete quarantined files"? Let me think

Q8) Should I perform another quick scan with MBAM, check all items - regardless of how many or which have come out - for "remove selected" and remove all? Let me think

As I didn't know exactly which "anti-stuff" was on my computer and tried to figure out in order to run ComboFix (Posts 9-12), I got convinced only such thing on my computer was from McAfee. Although having made efforts to disable completely (Post 15)(and not having changed back ever since) scan continued to be done (only thing that seems to have changed, is I started getting (and still am getting) messages on my system tray (Post 17) "Check for updates should already have taken place"). Consequently I was rather surprised noticing ESET-scan state (next to McAfee also) Windows Defender "may affect the performance and the quality of the scan".

=> Q9) Is Windows Defender (active) on my computer? Let me think

Q10) Do I change McAfee settings back into what they were before (Post 15)? Let me think

Q11) Do I do anything else with protection stuff? Let me think

Q12) Should I "clean up"? What do I do with which of the quarantines/quarantined items/programs? Let me think

Diepzeeknikker
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 28
Joined Joined : 2010-12-18
OS OS : Vista
Points Points : 22090
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on 27th February 2011, 11:10 pm

Hello.

Q1) Do I have to live with the dial-up or is there something (other than switching to hardwire) that can fix or at least improve the situation?

Nope, and to be honest, if your not living in the middle of nowhere, then you should be able to get broadband

Do I understand correctly ComboFix does install the MWRC in earlier versions of Windows, but not in Vista because in Vista the MWRC has been replaced by the SROM

Yep, that's for XP only.

and together with the fact "nothing unexpected (?<=>? D2C2 & D2C3) happened" running ComboFix I shouldn't worry? (For now?) Shouldn't I check whether SROM (or any other piece of recovery you'd recommend) is installed on my computer - and if not take precautions - in case something would go wrong in the futur?

Honestly no, if there is no new problems, then no need to worry.

=> Q3) What do I do with that?

Do you have the drivers for it? like it says, reinstall the drivers.

Do I have to live with continuously Yes, OK, Yes,... or is there something that can fix or at least improve the situation?

Tick the boxes for not showing the warning anymore and they will stop bothering you.

=> Q5) Where do I find these quarantined files and what do I do with them?

They should be under C:\Program File\Eset, you can leave them if you wish, they are dead items.

Q6) If I understand correctly, scans do quarantine items they consider possibly harmful, but not delete them in case an item should be "misinterpreted" so it could be placed back. What happens to the quarantine (and the quarantined items in it) once the program which has quarantined gets deleted/uninstalled from the computer?

They will either get left behind, or are removed as well.

Q7) Should I perform another ESET-scan? If so, should I check “Scan for potentially unsafe applications”? At finish check "Uninstall application on close" and/or "Delete quarantined files"?

Leave "Scan for potentially unsafe applications" unticked, but tick the other two if you wish.

Q8) Should I perform another quick scan with MBAM, check all items - regardless of how many or which have come out - for "remove selected" and remove all?

If you want to, but I doubt it will find anything.

=> Q9) Is Windows Defender (active) on my computer?

Yep.

Q10) Do I change McAfee settings back into what they were before (Post 15)?

Yes please.

Q11) Do I do anything else with protection stuff?

No, we may install little extras later once I give you my prevention speech.

Q12) Should I "clean up"? What do I do with which of the quarantines/quarantined items/programs?

Yes, other scanners may also pick up the quarantined items as actual threats.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34916
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : XP SP3 Media Centre
Points Points : 245079
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top