How To Fix A Scratched LCD Monitor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How To Fix A Scratched LCD Monitor

Post by Doctor Inferno on 24th July 2008, 7:22 am

LCD monitors are obviously more vulnerable to damage than the classic CRT. Even the slightest contact with a sharp object can leave your liquid crystal display damaged.
Fortunately, this is easily fixed. There are two different methods that I have found to work quite well. The first method is a temporary fix and will have to be redone after an amount of time or cleaning the LCD. The second method is more of a permanent fix, but requires more work.
Temporary fix with Vaseline:

1. Clean the surface of the LCD with diluted isopropyl alcohol (50/50 with water) with a cloth. No toilet paper and especially not paper towels. These will scratch your screen.

2. Fill the crack with Vaseline.

3. Gently wipe off the Vaseline outside of the scratch.

4. When you are done there should be enough Vaseline to fill the scratch.

Less temporary fix, more work:

1. Clean the surface of the LCD with diluted isopropyl alcohol (50/50 with water) with a cloth. No toilet paper and especially not paper towels. These will scratch your screen.

2. Apply a bit of auto rubbing compound to the scratch.

3. Polish the effected the area with until flat with felt. You should acually have removed the anti-glare coating in the effected area.

4. Clean the area.

5. Using a piece of paper cut a 5mm hole into the center.

6. Use the paper to spray clear lacquer (through the hole) onto the effected area.

7. Move the paper as you spray if the scratch is lengthy.

8. Let dry according to lacquer instructions and you are done.

I hope that did it for you and if you have any suggestions or improvement to these instructions please leave a comment and I will add it to the post (if it make sense).

Source: http://www.hackosis.com/2008/07/23/diy-how-to-fix-a-scratched-lcd-monitor/

Last edited by Doctor Inferno on 13th November 2008, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 11976
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104630
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How To Fix A Scratched LCD Monitor

Post by Agent Cosmic on 25th July 2008, 6:07 am

Nice finds. But still, prevention is better than cure.

FunSubstance is the place to go for daily entertainment.

Agent Cosmic
Master
Master

Posts Posts : 3247
Joined Joined : 2008-03-07
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7
Protection Protection : ESET Smart Security
Points Points : 50468

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How To Fix A Scratched LCD Monitor

Post by Framerguy on 5th November 2008, 2:37 pm

I was an autobody repair shop owner for 20 years and I may have a slightly different approach to the same end. If you can find a product called Novus Polish, it comes in 3 different grades. #1 is a mild polish and cleaner, #2 is a fine polish for light scratches, and #3 is a stronger polish for deeper scratches. If applied correctly, it will not only remove scratches in your flat screen material but it will also impart an antistatic condition to your screen so that dust isn't as attracted to it. I fear that regular auto rubbing compound is much too coarse and would do more harm than good to the soft surface of an LCD screen. If you cannot find the Novus products, a finer polishing compound for auto finishes would be a better alternative to the coarse rubbing compound.

It could be a matter of the meaning of different terms used by all of us internationally, but the rubbing compounds here in the US are quite rough and are machine applied to remove sanding scratches from a finish. This is followed up with a finer polishing compound on the buffer to final buff the surface to a gleamingi finish.

The Novus polishes were created for the plastics industry and are widely used for acrylic sheeting that has become scratched/scuffed and are readily available here in the States as well as many places abroad.

Regarding the masking technique suggested, I would also try a 13mm to 25mm hole in the paper depending on the size of the repair. I would also suggest holding the paper about 1" (26mm) away from the surface of the monitor screen and spraying sparingly through the hole until the desired finish is reached. The reason for holding the paper away from the screen is to allow the overspray to sort of wrap around and through the hole to give a tapered or blended edge to the sprayed surface. This would allow the sprayed area to almost disappear much like a blended repair on an auto finish instead of giving a "hard line" to the edge of the sprayed repair by laying the paper directly onto the screen.

I hope this helps and is understandable for most of you.

Framerguy
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 4
Joined Joined : 2008-11-04
OS OS : XP SP-3 Home Edition
Points Points : 29570

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top