have to run Winsock Fix daily

View previous topic View next topic Go down

have to run Winsock Fix daily

Post by battlescribe on 6th October 2010, 3:45 pm

I recently ran SuperAntispyware on my desktop and laptop. I have a home wireless system. After running SAS, my internet connection died on both computers. Firefox would load but I could not load any web pages. After bypassing my router and plugging directly into my modem, I was able to get online and Google the problem. That's how I found Winsock Fix for XP. I ran that and it fixed the problem - but the same problem returns daily and I have to run Winsock Fix each morning.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what might have been quarantined by SAS that needs to be restored? Is there some sort of permanent fix for this issue? Thanks a lot for any advice.

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 9
Joined Joined : 2010-10-06
Gender Gender : Female
OS OS : XP
Protection Protection : AVG Free and SuperAntiSpyware
Points Points : 22626
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: have to run Winsock Fix daily

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 6th October 2010, 11:45 pm

Hello and Welcome !

If you think it happened after SAS then remove it then reset the Winsock once and see if the problem goes away. If so then i guess Malwarebytes is better than SAS.

Hope this helps,
Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

Posts Posts : 321
Joined Joined : 2010-09-27
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu 10.04
Protection Protection : Avast, WinPatrol, Malwarebytes, Windows Firewall
Points Points : 26958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 7th October 2010, 1:07 am

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!

I will try just taking SAS off then - I was a bit hesitant to do so as it would release all the quarantined files, but heck - I didn't even know those nasty things were on there to begin with so I doubt the world will end.

Then I will run Malwarebytes - it certainly has a catchier name at any rate. (-; It's free, so that's good. I hope this works!

This all started when YouTube videos would not run smoothly - by the time I figured out it was only a matter of disabling the AVG Free security toolbar, I had done a lot of tinkering. Now I have to clean it all up!

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 7th October 2010, 3:14 am

If you suspect that there is infection drop a post at our Malware removal thread i'm sure the we can remove every single trace out of your PC. Here is the Prework http://www.GeekPolice.net/virus-spyware-malware-removal-f11/read-this-before-posting-t3821.htm

Good Luck,
Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 7th October 2010, 11:29 am

Thank you - I may do just that. I think in my zeal to correct the YouTube issue I (along with SAS?) may have deleted something integral to my internet connection.

Removing SAS did not actually solve the problem - I still had the same connection error this morning and Winsock did not work; I had to go to My Network Places > Support > Repair to get connected. Now things are fine, but I hate having to do something like that each day. It should just connect, darn it!

Thanks again for the advice. Wish I'd known it was just the add-on all along causing problems. Then I would not have tinkered so much. Bah.

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 7th October 2010, 4:12 pm

Hello,

Try to Download a new version of Network Drivers. Then remove your current Network drivers and install the new ones. And see if that makes any difference. Also do a reset on IE. Then Run all the options in this Tool http://majorgeeks.com/SF_IE_Restorator_d6521.html. Then reboot your System and see if that fixes the problem. If not it might be an infection which you might wanna take it our Malware experts.

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 8th October 2010, 1:00 am

I don't know how to remove and download my network drivers...but I can try to fiddle around and figure it out - unless you have a helpful link. (-: I don't use IE, but since it supports Firefox would a reset perhaps help? How do I do that? (I also have Vundo associated with IE on my desktop, so I musn't launch it according to the computer professional who worked on it at the time.)

As I was thinking more about this, I realized the connection problems actually started when I was running Google Earth. Firefox loaded on its own in the middle of the Google Earth session, and from that point on I had connection errors. I ran SAS after that because I thought Firefox might have stumbled on an infected site, but I think not. Hm...

Thanks again for taking to time to brainstorm this with me. Normally I can fix these things on my own after some research, but this one has me stumped.

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 8th October 2010, 2:54 am

What Network / Wifi card are you using ? If not sure then Right Click on My Computer go to Properties > Hardware > Device Manager there you'll find them.
Even If your using Firefox the main Internet connection engine is IE. Some settings messed up in IE will affect Firefox and other auto update features. So resetting IE used to fix lot of other Internet related problems.

Hope this helps,
Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 8th October 2010, 4:43 pm

I am using a Netgear 108 Mbps WGT624 router and Netgear WG111T wireless card on the laptop.
I use Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller to connect, and that connection uses Client for Microsoft Networks, File and printer sharing for MN, QoS Packet scheduler, and Internet Protocol TCP/IP.

Hope that's what you needed to know...

I plan to try what you suggested in Post 6 when I get a moment.

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 8th October 2010, 5:52 pm

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 8th October 2010, 7:15 pm

I reset IE and it did not help.

I was unable to run http://majorgeeks.com/SF_IE_Restorator_d6521.html due to some kind of download error. It kicked me out of the download.

So I updated my Broadcam driver but I did it the wimpy way - by going in to My Network Places > View network connections > right clicking on the connection icon > Properties > General > Driver tab > Update driver.

That launched an Adobe Reader Updater which got my connection back ... but so far, every fix I try will not last through a system reboot. So I am going to try to reboot and see if the connection holds. If not, it's on to the Malware forum...let's hope it holds...

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 8th October 2010, 7:24 pm

Ok ! Good Smile Post back the results !

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 8th October 2010, 8:10 pm

The connection didn't hold through the reboot - same connection problem after rebooting. Firefox loads, but gives me untitled tabs and won't load any sites.

So, I ran Malwarebytes. It detected 1 item: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS\mcrh.tmp. Removed this item.

Rebooted.

Same connection problem.

In desperation, I uninstalled Malwarebytes.

Rebooted.

Connection is fine.

This is great, but bizarre. I am not sure how solid this connection is and why it worked. Thoughts?

Oh, and THANKSTHANKSTHANKS. (-:

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt.Jack Sparrow on 8th October 2010, 8:21 pm

Not sure my friend ! As long it works that's great. Since you found an infection it's a good idea to drop a post at Malware Forum. Maybe they might find more which the Program didn't find as a preventive measure.

Well good Luck,
Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

Capt.Jack Sparrow
Senior
Senior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by battlescribe on 8th October 2010, 8:28 pm

I don't like the idea that this connection problem could just come back any time I reboot - makes me afraid to turn my computer off! All of these fixes worked great until a reboot. ...except the Malwarebytes removal. Weird.

I should drop by the Malware forum, but not today! I have spent the entire work day fiddling around with this machine and I need to make the most of the few minutes I have left. (-: Thanks again for the advice, and I do plan to make use of your expertise in malware removal soon. (-:

battlescribe
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down