Vista (32bit) to W7 (63bit)?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vista (32bit) to W7 (63bit)?

Post by stinkfist on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 4:17 am

I Have a friend who has a Toshiba laptop. It has Vista (32bit) He wants to upgrade to W7 (64bit). He has a W7 (64bit) disc but can't get it to run. Below is his system. Does he have to completely wipe the hard drive to install the W7 (64bit) since his is a (32bit)?

Toshiba Model#
PSAFGU-02L002

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit version)

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58

1.9 GHz, 512KBx2 L2 Cache, HyperTransport™ Technology @ up to1600MHz

AMD M690V chipset

Configured with 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be occupied). Maximum capacity 4096MB

1.200GB (4200 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive

stinkfist

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : Windows 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vista (32bit) to W7 (63bit)?

Post by Buttons on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 3:03 pm

Unfortunately, that's the case. Before I decided to upgrade my laptop from Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit to a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64 bit workstation I tried the same thing, but it said an upgrade is not possible.

The reason is, 64 bit are a completely different architecture. 64 bits and 32 bits communicate differently with the processor and such a complete wipe is needed. The processor cannot switch from running a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os immediately without major problems. You must have one or the other since nether can coexist even for a moment.

For example, when you are booting from a windows disc to install you are doing it while the current windows is not loaded. So no processing is being done with windows. However, when you do an upgrade while windows is loaded, the processor is running programs and other things. Upgrading to another 32 bit os wouldn't be as problematic as you are communicating with the processor in the same manner. Installing a 64 bit copy of windows would break the communication with the processor as it needs to be set for 64 bit communication. Doing so would create the lesser known RSOD or Red Screen of Death which only happens when a catastrophic issue with windows happens.

Buttons
Banned

Operating System : 7 Ultimate x64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum