More of a Virus Question then Infection

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More of a Virus Question then Infection

Post by Tiggy on 28th July 2010, 2:26 am

Not sure if this is the right forums and if its not could a moderator please move it to the correct one...

I downloaded TightVNC 2.0.2 from http://www.tightvnc.com so that I can remotely connect to my Mac Laptop with my Vista 64 PC. One of the options during install asks for me to have windows firewall allow TightVNC to bypass it and make exceptions for it. Now usually when programs do this it throws up some red flags and so I stopped the installation. I googled "is TightVNC a virus" and I get a ton of pages that talks about TightVNC crashing thier system and bogging it down and that its hard to remove. But then when I google "remotely controlling Mac with PC" TightVNC is brought up in the first 5 links out of the top 10. So I was wondering if its a gimmick and a fake thing or actually real and worth trying to see if I can remotely connect my PC to my Mac.

Regards,

MOD EDIT: Moved to Computer Security! ~DragonMaster Jay

Tiggy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 67
Joined Joined : 2009-01-13
OS OS : Windows 7 64bit
Protection Protection : Windows Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware
Points Points : 29500
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More of a Virus Question then Infection

Post by Gabethebabe on 30th July 2010, 7:10 am

tightvnc.com gets a green status in WOT, so I guess the app is genuine and safe (safe as in: malware free). Open source software is typically malware free. I mean, everybody can check the source code, so kinda hard to hide any malicious intentions.

obv the app has its bugs and if you see many warnings on the www, maybe a good idea to do stuff like system restore point or an image of your HD before installing and trying it.

Gabethebabe
Top Dog
Top Dog

Posts Posts : 1568
Joined Joined : 2010-03-07
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Win7
Points Points : 38268
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top