I don't know the name

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I don't know the name

Post by akbst5 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:49 am

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, I am not sure if this is a virus that caused a problem on my computer or the problem just occurred while I had the virus. First of all this is my parents computer they only ever go on cooking and guitar sites, yet had three different viruses over the last month (despite having McAfee, Malwarebytes, and adaware). I was not home to remove the threats for them so I talked them through it over the phone. However since the last virus the sound doesn’t work. The speakers are on, the volume is up, and it is plugged into the computer. I used Window Media Player to try to play music and this is the message I get: “Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.” I know the device worked before this latest virus, I don’t know if the virus caused the issue or if it was just strange timing. I am not sure of the virus names or if they were even removed completely. I ran Malwarebytes and it claimed that the computer was clean but google still gets hijacked sometimes. Again I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum and for the lack of information. Thanks.

akbst5
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I don't know the name

Post by Belahzur on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Hello.

Remove the Proxy setting in Internet Explorer and/or in FireFox.

In Internet Explorer
  1. Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" or reconfigure the Proxy server again in case you have set it previously.

In Firefox
  1. Tools Menu -> Options... -> Advanced Tab -> Network Tab -> "Settings" under Connection > Choose "No Proxy"
  2. Click the apply button and restart that computer in normal mode.

Please download and run this tool.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Post the contents of the MBAM Log.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I don't know the name

Post by akbst5 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah I already did that, and it didn't work, but I get the latest version of Adaware. It found and removed a threat, everything appears to be working now, I didn't know that they had an outdated version. Thank-you for your help though!

akbst5
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum