GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

reboot loop/dark screen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

reboot loop/dark screen

Post by trombomb on Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 pm

I have a compaq v6000 that has been having startup problems for several months. The previous owner didn't know that the machine was to be shut down through the start menu. Instead, it was shut down by pushing the power button until it would turn off.

For several months I would push the power button and start up the machine and it would shut off before engaging the boot system. After 3-20 times it would finally engage and boot up normally. I completely cleared the machine through a system restore and it worked a little better, but still had this problem.

Yesterday, while some children were playing games and listening to music on the computer it froze completely and I had to unplug battery and AC to turn it off. Now I can get it to boot. It continuously powers up (with fan, lights and all) but before it can boot it shuts off and continues this cycle endlessly. I have tried to go into recovery mode with F10, but that won't work because it hasn't started booting.

Is this a RAM or CPU issue? Or has the power button been ruined from overuse?

thanks,

trombomb

trombomb
Beginner
Beginner

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: reboot loop/dark screen

Post by makxp77 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:46 am

Sounds like a motherboard\cpu or power supply issue!

MiKeY

MCITP \ MCSE \ CompTia A+ \ Server+ \ Security+

makxp77
Senior
Senior

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top