GeekPolice
Welcome to GeekPolice.net!

From "wow" to "whoa" - we're teaching practical technology and helping others with tech support. Join our family here!

You are viewing the forum as a "Guest" which doesn't give you member privileges to ask questions or post comments.

Take 30 seconds to register or log in below and unlock the limitations of this website to discover new computer knowledge!

Power outages, lightning, etc

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Power outages, lightning, etc

Post by harrygiovanni on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 pm

I don't know where to post this, so please forgive me if this isn't the best place. This might be a stupid question but yesterday during a brief but powerful lightning storm, a big crack of lightning blew out the power in my apartment (probably the whole street) while I was using my computer. Naturally, the computer shut off. This is a brand new computer and I am OCD so I wanted to ask whether my computer could have suffered any damage as a result of the power outage.

My computer is plugged into a Belkin surge protector and it seems to be running fine but I want to make sure if there are any steps I should take, or if I am worrying about nothing. thanks a lot.

harrygiovanni
Intermediate
Intermediate

# Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Power outages, lightning, etc

Post by Doctor Inferno on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 am

Hello,

If the computer is running fine now, there shouldn't be any problem because of the surge protector. If it were to be affected by the voltage spike it probably wouldn't boot now, as the power supply might be toasted.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Power outages, lightning, etc

Post by harrygiovanni on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks for your answer. I read a bunch of stuff online but I trust you guys since you've helped me so many times. I worry a lot. Thanks!

harrygiovanni
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top