Old Computer New hard drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Computer New hard drive

Post by maggie b on 16th April 2010, 9:52 pm

When my computer told me my hard drive was "full" at first I didn't believe it. ;-)) Then I started looking for a new hard drive. I discovered my computer uses IDEs rather than SATAs but I couldn't determine if it was cost effective to get another hard drive as the sites I went for advice spoke of speed and diminishing returns..........I never could understand where to find info on my computer's ability to drive the drive. It became so overwhelming that I bought a new computer and now I'm in Window's 7th level of computer heck with Windows 7. So I find myself wondering still if I could upgrade my old computer with a new hard drive. At least it will run the old programs. Once I get a new hard drive how do I copy the old info to the new drive?

maggie b
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 4
Joined Joined : 2010-04-10
OS OS : Windows 7
Points Points : 24367
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Computer New hard drive

Post by Doctor Inferno on 17th April 2010, 3:33 am

Hello,

Yes you can. You can add more hard drives to your old computer so that you don't need to copy anything over, simply use it for extended storage.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 12015
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104620

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie b on 17th April 2010, 11:34 am

Walking through all the terms - how shall I know which kind to get? Is there anything I need to discover about my existing computer (other than the kind of connector inside the machine before I purchase a second hard drive?

maggie b
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie b on 17th April 2010, 11:36 am

I should mention my old machine is probably 10 years old. I did buy the latest and greatest when I purchased it which helped allow expansions to keep it working well a long time.

maggie b
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anonymous-x on 11th June 2010, 7:07 am

@maggie b I have an old xps 400 & I bought a Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB for about $50 my bays are 3,5" not 2.5". It's real easy to connect & then I formated it & reloaded my PC. It works great, lots of memory & fast & quiet. I also put in 4 1GB memory modules that I bought 2 at a time which is also real easy to just plug in, now I have as much memory my PC can use. I'm learning by myself & trying to increase the abilities my PC can do. I hope this helps & you understand me. Good Luck.

anonymous-x
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 2
Joined Joined : 2010-06-11
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : XPS400 A07
Points Points : 23733

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top