connecting iPhone to new computer, don't want to delete everything!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved connecting iPhone to new computer, don't want to delete everything!

Post by ltlfroggie on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 am

My laptop crashed and is in the process of being thrown out a window if someone doesn't help me soon, haha!

http://www.GeekPolice.net/operating-systems-f20/trying-to-reformat-xp-computer-keeps-shutting-down-on-me-t20227.htm

Anyhow, in the meantime, I want to sync my iPhone with our desktop. I've never synced it with this computer and I'm afraid that if I hook it up, it will delete all of my data (music, apps, contacts, etc) on my phone. Unfortunately, I have no backup as my laptop is dead (see above).

So what is the "right" way to do this so that all the info on my phone syncs to the computer instead of the "empty" itunes library syncing with my iphone and wiping everything out?

ltlfroggie
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 97
Joined Joined : 2009-11-05
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 26885
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: connecting iPhone to new computer, don't want to delete everything!

Post by bigfatdummy on Wed May 19, 2010 12:36 am

You mentioned in the other thread that you had copied all your music and files to another external drive. Did you also copy the entire itunes folder inside the My Music folder? If so, you can simply copy the itunes folder back onto the new computer and open itunes. You music should be there for you. You will need to authorize you itunes account on your new computer (or rebuilt).

I have done this on my mac and my pc. Works fine.

bigfatdummy
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 11
Joined Joined : 2010-05-18
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7/Vista/XP/S2003/S2008
Protection Protection : Trendmicro/Cisco/Malwarebtyes
Points Points : 24041
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down