Seagate or Western Digital

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Seagate or Western Digital

Post by amir20001 on 19th February 2010, 2:01 am

i would go with the Seagate gate one because its cheaper. both of them offer pritty much the same thing both of them are reliable companys so unless u like the way the Western Digital looks and are willing to pay $10 for that. If ur computer has an esata port and u can find a external with an esata connection for about the same price i would suggest that because u tend to get faster speed on then

amir20001
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 83
Joined Joined : 2008-08-08
Points Points : 30851
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zrawrxd on 19th February 2010, 2:25 am

I'm not worried about the price or the design. As long as it is efficient and has good durability.

zrawrxd
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 107
Joined Joined : 2008-12-21
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Window XP [Labtop] / Windows Vista [Labtop]
Points Points : 29388

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kes3000 on 20th February 2010, 11:17 pm

I would almost second amir. Both I would think are pretty similar. Just look at drive speed and price and see what your happiest with.

I've got a WD drive and cant say a bad thing. I did remember reading something before about Seagate drive failures (link below). Seems to be down one single drive type though, but havnt heard anything like that before about WD so personally I'd be happy to stick with WD drives.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9126360/Update_Seagate_offers_free_data_recovery_for_faulty_drives_new_firmware?taxonomyId=19&intsrc=kc_top&taxonomyName=storage

kes3000
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 69
Joined Joined : 2009-08-14
OS OS : Windows XP Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Ubuntu
Protection Protection : ESET Smart Security 4, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Points Points : 27123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by makxp77 on 23rd February 2010, 3:36 am

I would suggest WD Black Edition 1 TB as long as you don't want to put it in raid (cannot raid these hard drives), fast as hell and scores high on benchmarks I have 1 TB X2 and running Windows 7 x64 6.2 Windows Score and fast performance! Also it is very cheap @ $80-$100

Website from WD
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=792

Review from "The Tech Report"

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15363

The Caviar Black is in a tricky position, then. Sure, it's the fastest 7,200-RPM drive on the market, but it's also a little pricey and probably too loud for many enthusiasts' desktop systems. The Black is better suited to workstation and server environments that will capitalize on the drive's quick access times and strong performance with workloads that include more randomized I/O request patterns. It's no surprise, then, that WD recently announced a line of enterprise-class RE3 based on the Caviar Black

makxp77
Senior
Senior

Posts Posts : 216
Joined Joined : 2009-08-06
OS OS : Windows 7 X64
Protection Protection : Avira Premium
Points Points : 29094

View user profile

Back to top Go down