CD/DVD drive not working

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CD/DVD drive not working

Post by CelesJessa on 28th December 2009, 12:18 am

My computer won't recognize my CD or DVD drive. Both units have power and will open and close when I push the button, but nothing I put inside will work. When going into My Computer it won't even show that I have a CD or a DVD drive.

If anyone could help me out, it would be extremely appreciated.

CelesJessa
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 8
Joined Joined : 2009-10-17
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 26121
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CD/DVD drive not working

Post by Nazzgull on 29th December 2009, 8:24 am

Open your Computer, and check did your cable property plug-in your motherboard. I'm not sure, which cable you use, SATA or ATA?

Nazzgull
Top Dog
Top Dog

Posts Posts : 2330
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Professional
Points Points : 40485
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CelesJessa on 30th December 2009, 6:37 pm

My dad opened my computer and made sure everything was plugged in (although I forgot to ask him if it was SATA or ATA, I'll remember to ask him tonight), he made sure the drivers were all okay and he said that basically there shouldn't be anything keeping the drives from working (he even plugged in one from a different computer that we know works and it didn't work there)

He thinks there's a Trojan on the computer or something that is causing it not to work, is that possible, and how can I fix that if it seems to be the problem? (Sorry about my lack of knowledge, I'm not very computer-intelligent.)

EDIT: Doing a scan says that there is what I think is a Trojan called "Vundo" on the computer. Perhaps that's the problem? (even if it's not, it's a problem in of itself, I assume)

CelesJessa
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 8
Joined Joined : 2009-10-17
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 26121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazzgull on 30th December 2009, 7:15 pm

Hi, Vundo is serious problem. Only what you can do, run Vundo Fix and i wish you luck. IF you don't have anything special on your computer, try to Reinstall your Windows and tell me if CD/DVD Drive work.

BUT, if your Windows won't recognize CD/DVD Drive even than, maybe your connector on Motherboard are broken. You should visit your PC Shop for help.

Nazzgull
Top Dog
Top Dog

Posts Posts : 2330
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
OS OS : Windows 7 Professional
Points Points : 40485
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Twist154 on 9th January 2010, 5:09 pm

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. Click on the start menu.
2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
5. Restart Windows.
6. Let me know if this works.

This should take care of your issue.

Twist154
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 39
Joined Joined : 2009-08-29
OS OS : 7 Ultimate
Points Points : 26994