Win7 connected to XP network can't see printer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Win7 connected to XP network can't see printer

Post by gelliff12 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Stumbled through enough stuff that I finally got my Win7 connected to my XP network and each can see files on the other. I have a printer directly connected to an XP desktop that other XP machines on the netwk print to with no problems, but I can't get the Win7 machine to see the printer. Well, not quite true. In some places, Win7 gives an "Add printers" option an it can see it. When I try to add it and print it says it doesn't have a driver. Went to Canon and downloaded something in their driver section. It installed itself somewhere, but attempts to print has the same result as before the download. Any suggestions? PS: haven't found a search in Win7 that tells where it found something on the disk. Any suggestions for that?

gelliff12
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Win7 connected to XP network can't see printer

Post by Nazzgull on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi, it's not possible to share printer between XP and Windows 7. I hope Microsoft will provide some update for this problem.

Nazzgull
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gelliff12 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:43 am

It's WORKING!!! When I went to "Add a printer"/"Wireless network" it saw the printer but when I tried to use it, Win7 asked for a driver. Went to Canon and asked for a Win7 x64 driver and downloaded a driver addon. Got same error when I tried again. Wentl back to Canon and downloaded a Vista driver, then reapplied the earlier driver addon download. THAT DID THE TRICK!!!

IF your printer manufacturer provides a Win7 driver (or maybe even just a Vista driver) it looks like Win7 can use an XP Computer printer IF ya hold your tongue just right (8->)

gelliff12
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazzgull on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for this, i didn't know Smile

Nazzgull
Top Dog
Top Dog

View user profile