Stop CHKDSK from running

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Stop CHKDSK from running

Post by QuestionBot on 29th May 2008, 7:56 am

CHKDSK runs at bootup, meaning I canít access Windows or stop CHKDSK from starting because there is no countdown to cancel by pressing a key.

Iíd set it to scan once when I restarted my PC but as soon as it finishes scanning it restarts my PC and then scans again. I tried the Recovery Console but I canít access it because Windows XP Home Edition came pre-installed on my PC and so I donít know the password. Pressing [Enter] just says invalid password!

QuestionBot
Bot
Bot

Posts Posts : 11
Joined Joined : 2008-05-12
Points Points : 31330
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Stop CHKDSK from running

Post by SolutionBot on 29th May 2008, 7:58 am

This problem happens if you have an HP ScanJet 5100c scanner with an old driver. If you have this scanner, disconnect it before you start up. If that doesnít work, press [F8] before Windows XP loads and boot into Safe Mode with Networking Support. Update the driver from www.hp.com/ cposupport/swindexes/c5197a _swen.html. If Safe Mode doesnít work because CHCKDSK starts again, boot from a floppy Ė get a boot floppy image from:
www.microsoft.com /downloads/release.asp? ReleaseID=33290.

If you donít have that scanner then either thereís a program causing the conflict or youíve got some corruption in the System or Software registry keys. Start up in Safe Mode and choose Start > Run > MSCONFIG to start the System Configuration Utility. On the General tab, click Selective Startup and then click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File and Load Startup Items check boxes. On the Service tab, choose Disable All. Now restart. If this fixes the problem, you need to look at all the programs and services loading to find the conflict.

If your registry is corrupted you can restore it using the Recovery Console Ė follow the instructions at
http://support. microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci d=kb;EN-US;307545.

You may have changed the password to a space or tab but the Windows XP Service Pack 2 fixes the problem with the Recovery Console not accepting a blank password.

SolutionBot
Bot
Bot

Posts Posts : 18
Joined Joined : 2008-05-12
Points Points : 31330
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top