How to Install Windows From a Flash Drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How to Install Windows From a Flash Drive

Post by Links on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:46 pm

First of all, thanks to the OP for putting this together.

@vk_2009:
I haven't tried yet, but it appears you should only exit setup and restart IF you create a new partition (despite the way the OP phrased it).

If you want to be sure, just exit and restart the setup after you formatted, it won't do any harm.

---

EDIT: Didn't look to the post age before replying, but the advise is still valid for anyone with the same doubt.

Links
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 9
Joined Joined : 2010-08-29
OS OS : DOS 6.22 / Win3.1 / 3.11 / 95 OSR2.5 / NT4 SP6a / 98SE / 2000 SP4R1v2 / XP SP3 32b / 7 32&64b / GNU-Linux / BSD / ot
Points Points : 22935
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttons on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:34 am

You don't need any tools for creating a bootable usb. Just use the command line.

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Just read that and you'll be done in no time. I've found winflash and other similar tools not workable.

Note: Just because you have a usb port doesn't mean you can boot from a usb. Most computers these days can, but some older ones bios don't support this. If you can't boot from it, try upgrading your bios from your manufacturers site.

Buttons
Leader's Leader
Leader's Leader

Posts Posts : 869
Joined Joined : 2010-06-11
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : 7 Ultimate x64
Points Points : 26266

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Links on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:21 pm

This topic is NOT about creating a bootable USB pendrive. Please don't confuse the readers more than they already could be.

This is about installing Windows XP from a bootable USB drive (whether they are flash drives or otherwise). That is something you will not achieve simply by making a bootable USB drive and then copying Windows setup files. In order to actually install Windows the setup files must be modified and there are several ways to achieve that; this topic simply explains one of those.

Besides that, if you'd like to make a bootable drive or a drive with several bootable disk images, then the tools at PendriveLinux.com are much better than any of the methods listed in Bootdisk.com.

Links
Novice
Novice

OS OS : DOS 6.22 / Win3.1 / 3.11 / 95 OSR2.5 / NT4 SP6a / 98SE / 2000 SP4R1v2 / XP SP3 32b / 7 32&64b / GNU-Linux / BSD / ot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttons on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:42 am

USB pendrives are the same thing as flash drives. Just a different name. You should know as you provided a link for creating a bootable linux pendrive/usb. Please keep calm as I was only posting what I thought was helpful.

This is about installing Windows XP from a bootable USB drive (whether they are flash drives or otherwise). That is something you will not achieve simply by making a bootable USB drive and then copying Windows setup files. In order to actually install Windows the setup files must be modified and there are several ways to achieve that; this topic simply explains one of those.

That is what I posted. Look at Method 6. That tells you exactly how to do it. I followed that exact thing and created a Windows Server 2008 R2 bootable usb where I can install it from. Similar to a dvd. That it is how I installed my OS.

I'm not sure on why you need to modify the setup file. That is not required and could be consider piracy. Only things that should be modified are the .ini files if you are doing a slimstream for SQL Server 2008 or similar programs that support this.

Buttons
Leader's Leader
Leader's Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Links on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 pm

I was perfectly calm as I wrote my reply. The same way as you considered what you posted to be helpful, I considered it not to be.

From my own post:
This is about installing Windows XP from a bootable USB drive (whether they are flash drives or otherwise)

I clearly stated USB drive there, not pendrive, as I thought it would be enough for you to realize that this method (as most others) work perfectly with external USB HDDs. Apparently, it wasn't clear enough, sorry about that.

From Bootdisk.com, method 6:
Note that this bootable USB guide will not work if you are trying to make a bootable USB on XP computer.

And neither will it work if you are trying to make a bootable USB drive to install Windows XP, no matter what bootsector you install to the drive.

I'm not sure on why you need to modify the setup file. That is not required and could be consider piracy. Only things that should be modified are the .ini files if you are doing a slimstream for SQL Server 2008 or similar programs that support this.

It is not required to modify the content of the setup files, and I did not claim that. The setup files as a whole must be modified (directory structures and whatnot), in the same way that nlite and many other tools do in different ways for different purposes, all of which are perfectly legal.

If you take a quick look at a search on Google you will see that it's not as easy as you think it is.

Links
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttons on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 am

Sorry, I don't think we were on the same page. I didn't see a mention of this being done on xp anywhere other then for an xp bootable usb. I wasn't aware of this not being possible for an xp installation. Now if this were for new os's like a vista/7 or above bootable usb it probably would work.

My apologies, there was some confusion there.Smile

Buttons
Leader's Leader
Leader's Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vishnu.bokkasam on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:57 pm

hi i followed all the steps and they worked well untill i booted my laptop in gui mode there was an error saying /system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupt
what should i do plz help

vishnu.bokkasam
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 1
Joined Joined : 2010-12-12
OS OS : windows xp sp 2
Points Points : 21841

View user profile

Back to top Go down