Blue Screen of Death then Shutdown

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blue Screen of Death then Shutdown

Post by clong326 on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 5:15 pm

So my computer has the dreaded BSOD. The sound wasn't working so I unistalled the realtek driver and reinstalled it. Then I realized that the device drivers were missing and tried to find the drivers on the internet. I couldn't find them so I downloaded something that was supposed to detect drivers on my computer. After downloading it, it asked me to pay for it and I cancelled. Now I am wondering if it had a virus or something. Then I went to the add/remove hardware section and unistalled and reinstalled realtek again. It rebooted and then kept crashing. I then went into safe mode to backup info. Then I shut it down hoping it would start up ok. Then the first screen says that pops up says the hardware or software is corrupted and will not work properly. Then it gives me the option to launch windows repair (which does nothing-the screen just sits there) or start windows normally then the blue screen flashes and the computer immediately shuts down. The blue screen only flashes for a second and I'm unable to read what the error code is. I don't know where to go from here. I don't mind if I lose everything on the computer and have to start clean, I just want to have it functioning again if possible. Please help! Thank you!

Last edited by clong326 on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 6:28 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot info)

clong326

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : Windows Vista

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue Screen of Death then Shutdown

Post by Doctor Inferno on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 8:50 pm

Hello,

Please post the error code of the Blue Screen.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
The GeekPolice

The GeekPolice

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64

View user profile http://twitter.com/GeekPolice

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance(HAOH) on Thu 17 Dec 2009, 12:47 am

Hi. A BSOD is caused by various problems:

General problem causing a blue screen: Memory failure

Causes:
1. Overclocking
2. Dusty internals of a cpu.
3. Damaged RAM
4. Incompatible software.
5. Drivers or electrical component failure.

clong326 wrote: The sound wasn't working so I unistalled the realtek driver and reinstalled it. ! Then I realized that the device drivers were missing and tried to find the drivers on the internet.

I see your problem. Where did you download the drivers from? Did you download the correct ones?

clong326 wrote:I couldn't find them so I downloaded something that was supposed to detect drivers on my computer.

Was that a driver update software? If it was, did you use it? If you did, your drivers are probably corrupt. If you did not, do not use and uninstall immediately.

clong326 wrote:After downloading it, it asked me to pay for it and I cancelled. Now I am wondering if it had a virus or something.

Nope. I don't think there is a virus in your computer given your situation. I have experimented driver update softwares before and according to experience, this type of softwares usually require you to pay in order to update your obselete drivers.
If you are worried, turn to the geekpolice's malware forum for help.

clong326 wrote:Then I went to the add/remove hardware section and unistalled and reinstalled realtek again. It rebooted and then kept crashing. I then went into safe mode to backup info. Then I shut it down hoping it would start up ok.

Do not try to restart it if there is a blue screen before your computer can boot up. It will only aggravate the problem.

clong326 wrote: Then the first screen says that pops up says the hardware or software is corrupted and will not work properly. Then it gives me the option to launch windows repair (which does nothing-the screen just sits there) or start windows normally then the blue screen flashes and the computer immediately shuts down. The blue screen only flashes for a second and I'm unable to read what the error code is.

Blue screens are like that. They either flash very quickly or just remain there until you do a forced shut down. You do not need to worry about the error code.

clong326 wrote:I don't mind if I lose everything on the computer and have to start clean, I just want to have it functioning again if possible.

Analysis: It is very difficult to determinine the cause of blue screen in your computer given the limited amount of information provided. Also, I see that you are using a vista machine. Vista is prone to crashes and there are many causes to them.

Diagnosis: Corrupted drivers.

Solution: Never mind about the error codes. Instead of going through the hassle of looking for the suitable drivers, trying out solution after solution based on google searches on the error codes or contacting support, I recommend that you reformat your computer.

If you are still experiencing BSOD problems after reformating your machine, I recommend that you try giving your cpu internals a good cleaning, especially the RAM.(Clean it with a dry cloth)
Ask an someone with sound knowledge of the cpu internals oversee the cleaning. If the problem persists, it is time to buy a new set of RAM.

Additional Notes:
Just bring your invoice along to the shop and the technician will provide you with a set of compatible RAM. Get someone knowlegeable to follow along. DO NOT try to buy the RAM by yourself unless you are very knowledgeable in IT.

I hope my advice has been useful to you.

Lance(HAOH)

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

Operating System : Windows XP Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8 Professional WMC, Ubuntu Linux

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum