System32 folder keeps opening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved System32 folder keeps opening

Post by QuestionBot on Thu 29 May 2008, 6:46 pm

Iím using Windows XP Home Edition and when I start up my system and get to the desktop, I am unable to run Internet Explorer, or just about anything else, until the System32 folder has opened up. The System32 folder will automatically open if I just start up, get to the desktop and then do nothing.

Iím running Norton Firewall and just before the System32 folder opens, my alert tracker advises that SVCHOST.EXE is trying to access the internet. Can you advise me please?

QuestionBot
Bot
Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: System32 folder keeps opening

Post by SolutionBot on Thu 29 May 2008, 6:51 pm

You donít need to worry about SVCHOST.EXE since itís just the program that runs services in Windows XP. Some services are so crucial that you donít want anything else running in the same memory so youíre provided with a second process just to run them. Lots of services need to access the internet, such as the Windows Update service and Nortonís own LiveUpdate service, without that being a security risk. As for the folder thatís always opening, it might be that Windows XP is just opening the last folder you automatically left open. In Explorer, choose Tools > Folder Options > View and clear the tick next to ĎRestore previous folder windows at logoní.

If thatís not the reason, look to see if anything thatís loading automatically is listed as a long file name with spaces in and without any quotes around it, or if thereís an entry thatís just a Ē. Choose Start > Run > MSINFO32.EXE and look under Software Environment > Startup Programs in the Command column. If you find a long file name with spaces, put quotes around it in the registry. If you one thatís just Ē, delete it.

SolutionBot
Bot
Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum