Wireless Connected to Internet but Unable to Use Browsers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Wireless Connected to Internet but Unable to Use Browsers

Post by freeloaderfive on 5th November 2009, 4:41 am

I have an Acer Ferrari 4000 (AMD Turion 64 Mobile; Technology ML-37;880 MHz 1.00 GB of RAM) running MS Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP3 which I have just reinstalled. Everything worked smoothly but the next day I could connect to my wirekess router but nȯne of my browsers worked (Opera, Firefox, IE), even though I can - curiously enough - still use the e-mail function of Opera. Skype works fine, I can ping normally and non-browser based software updates are also no problem.

I have tried basically all of the advice that I could find around here and elsewhere; Winsockfix did the trick a previous time when I had the same problem, but not this time; netsh winsock reset catalog; netsh int ip reset reset.log... all no use.

I have the following system software installed: Avast, Spybot, Glary Utilities, HD Tune, Registry Booster 2, SpeedupmyPC 2009 and Smart Defrag...

These are my IP settings:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : kris
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-9B-CA-74-FE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 05, 2009 11:51:31 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:51:31 AM
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-A7-0E-EA

Getting a little desperate after two full days of tinkering and rebooting with no result... Any suggestions very much appreciated!

freeloaderfive
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 2
Joined Joined : 2009-11-04
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 25934
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Wireless Connected to Internet but Unable to Use Browsers

Post by freeloaderfive on 7th November 2009, 3:13 pm

No more need to give a solution, after some more trial and error I solved the problem myself...!!

I disabled the Avast Web Shield 4.8-1356 and everything started working again. I haven't gotten the slightest clue why exactly this caused my browsers to stop working (my wife's computer has the exact same software installed and hasn't gotten a problem at all and I have been using the combination of Avast and Spybot for at least 1 1/2 year) but right now I'm back in business. If I re-allow that Avast provider to be active, the same thing happens again: all browser activity stalls. Go figure...
I also un-installed Spybot and replaced it with Spyware Doctor since the Teatimer was taking up too much precious CPU space.

freeloaderfive
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 2
Joined Joined : 2009-11-04
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 25934
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum