Unknown Malware - Can't download and install updates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unknown Malware - Can't download and install updates

Post by JMBTopGun on 30th October 2009, 7:44 pm

Thanks for your tips DragonMaster Jay, I'll be sure to implement them tonight when I get home and will let you know how that goes. Now with regards to the access on my internet explorer to password relational sites (hotmail, facebook, my personal banking, etc.) I am not able to have access any of them (including your donation page - even though it does not require a password). I can surf on google or any other site but when it comes to these type of sites it gives me "cannot display page". I did just install IE8.0 through the automatic updates that we did these couple of days, don't know if this might have something to do with it. Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks!

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 35
Joined Joined : 2009-06-13
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 27449
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 30th October 2009, 8:05 pm

For IE8, use compatibility view when on those sites: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also, working on the Firefox browser might help.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Posts Posts : 14314
Joined Joined : 2009-09-06
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 10 Home & Pro
Arch. Arch. : x64 (64-bit)
Protection Protection : Bitdefender Total Security
Points Points : 302999
# Likes # Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 31st October 2009, 7:07 pm

I think I did everything that you mentioned. Everything seemed to be working, my explorer now let's me go into hotmail, facebook, etc.. Now after performing Spybot scan, it reported that certain items could not be fȋxed and asked if it could run after reboot. The system was rebooted and now it is popping up with black command line boxes with c:\windows\system32\command.com many at once then after 4 or so they close and more come up quite rapidly. What did I do wrong? thanks for your assistance.

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 31st October 2009, 7:43 pm

Please DISREGARD Last message. I think I know what I didn't finish doing. I just OKed all of the spybot registry changes and on my second re-start nȯne of the blackboxes showed up again. Only two more questions - I cannot seem to be able to update my avira hence it is giving me a windows security alert. I try to start the update manually and it just hangs and doesn't actually do anything. The other question is if Windows Firewall is worth utilizing (I unistalled the Norton - it was expired)or do you recommend another one - looking for a free one if possible.
Thanks!!

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 31st October 2009, 9:00 pm

Windows Firewall in XP does not work properly. Turn that off. Then, here are some choices:

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version.
  • [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version. The optional security suite enhances the firewall by 40% increase. If you would like to install the suite that includes antivirus, then remove your old antivirus first.
  • [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: free and excellent firewall.

The deal on Avira is a bug that they won't fix. I tested out the program this past spring, and reported the issue, and it was assumed to be fȋxed. However, it is still not fȋxed. I will say that the program will eventually update itself, automatically.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 31st October 2009, 9:17 pm

Ok.. I downloaded the PCToolsFirewall Plus. What about Avira.. do you recommend that one or do you know of another one that is better?
Thanks!

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 31st October 2009, 10:54 pm

Avira is just fine! Stay with it! Smile

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 2nd November 2009, 12:06 am

Hey DragonMaster Jay.. sorry to be such a pain.. but now I have an issue with the autoplay function. Don't know if it is related to what we have done all along. I tried to download my pictures from my digital camera and the corresponding program does not startup as it did before. I updated the latest program from the Nikon website and it didn't help. I also took the memory card and tried it on the SD slot and didn't work that way either. As always your advise is very much appreciated!! Let me know if you need more info.

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 2nd November 2009, 12:37 am

DragonFix automatically removes the ability to "autostart" - because Microsoft has urged all of its customers to disable that ability. The main reason for the urgency is because spyware and viruses these days are utilizing it to "autorun" itself. For example, if you are infected with a dangerous virus, and it infected your flash drive - you could take the flash drive to another computer and infect it upon inserting the flash drive. Only because the autostart command was enabled.

DragonFix repairs a computer infected by malware - then secures it to prevent infection.

If you would like to re-enable autostart - it is your own risk - but let me know and I can help you with that.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 2nd November 2009, 12:49 am

Thanks for the explanation and totally understand it and we will take measures in the future to not insert any outside flash drive. Having said that, we do require that functionality so we can store our family pictures in both the computer's hard drive and our external backup hard drive. I know it is at our own risk to do this.

Thanks for your help!!

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 2nd November 2009, 2:45 am

It is fine to use a flash drive, don't stop doing that. I was talking about a setting on computers. It does not mean flash drives are bad at all.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 2nd November 2009, 3:31 am

Can you help me with re-enabling the auto-start? Thanks.

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 2nd November 2009, 3:37 am

Copy the following in to Notepad:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:0000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"allocatecdroms"=0

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

Click File > Save as
Choose Save as type: All Files
Save the file to your Desktop as fixautorun.reg
Exit Notepad.
Double click on the file to run it. Choose Yes/Confirm any prompts.

Please reboot for changes to take effect.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 2nd November 2009, 4:17 am

Did exactly the process you mentioned above and after reboot unfortunately it didn't help. The auto-upload of the camera program does not work - neither does the SD card reader. Any other ideas?

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 2nd November 2009, 9:55 am

Try to place a CD in your CD drive and see if it autostarts.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 2nd November 2009, 12:58 pm

Actually it is not the CD drive that is acting up. It is when I connect the cable from my camera to one of the USB ports of the computer. It always used to recognize it and open up the picture manager program to start downloading them. Now it doesn't do any of them. I try to do it manually and also try to look up as a drive (I used to be able to see it as a folder with all .jpg) and I'm not able to either way. Also I try plugging in the SD card directly to the port and I don't get that popup where it told me what I wanted to do with those files (open up as folder, open up as music, etc..) Hope that is a little more clear.

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 2nd November 2009, 7:14 pm

The point of the CD test was to make sure autorun was working properly.

1. Insert any device, and open My Computer.
2. Right-click the device and select Properties from the menu.
3. Select the AutoPlay tab.
4. Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, pick the appropriate action to take if enabling autorun.
5. Select OK.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMBTopGun on 3rd November 2009, 12:34 am

I looked and finally found the issue.. as always user error!! There was a button that got changed somehow in the Digital camera regarding the USB output - mass storage or MTP/PTP - changed that setting and VOILA!! It recognized the camera as a device and the rest is history. Now the only question that I would have is if I should go back to removing the "Autostart" as previously recommended. I am supposing that not having that enabled didn't have anything to do with the inability for the computer to see the camera. Sorry to go back and forth and thanks so much for your patience and assistance!!! Please let me know and if you recommend removing I would appreciate if you can send me the necessary steps.
Once again thanks very much for this invaluable service!! You have well earned the donation (although small) it is with much pleasure that I give it!

JMBTopGun
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 3rd November 2009, 1:09 am

Go ahead and keep the setting on, if you like.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile