rundll32.exe missing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: rundll32.exe missing

Post by Dr Jay on 22nd September 2009, 4:01 am

Hi

This is kind of lengthy, so please read carefully.

1. Uninstall any programs that use your CD/DVD drive, (like iTunes, Nero, IMGBurn, Roxio, etc.), as these will get in the way while we are fixing.
2. Please download and run this tool: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] then download and run this tool: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3. Restart your computer.
4. Does the drive work? If so, reinstall those programs uninstalled earlier.

==

After spending over an hour trying to find the best solution, the above looks like it is the only one left.

Otherwise, we will have hit a dead end.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Posts Posts : 14309
Joined Joined : 2009-09-06
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 10 Home & Pro
Arch. Arch. : x64 (64-bit)
Protection Protection : Bitdefender Total Security
Points Points : 302960
# Likes # Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg66 on 22nd September 2009, 3:38 pm

I had already uninstalled all the burner software, so I ran the first one, fixit50198, and it finished successfully. I ran the second one, but it said no changes made because my computer settings already matched the fixit pgm. I restarted and now the dvd works, thanks for your help with that. My pc is still very slow and I'm hesitant to try anything to improve it for fear of corrupting something again. Is there anything useful to improve a slow pc that is safe, or do I have to live with it. ??

gg66
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 25
Joined Joined : 2009-04-11
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 28021
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 22nd September 2009, 3:59 pm

Yay! Hooray!

Please download [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
    Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
    Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Does this help?

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gg66 on 22nd September 2009, 8:20 pm

It did clean up about 400M, but the pc seems a bit slower sometimes. I noticed my main hard drive is now at 12% free rather than %15. Should I keep all those executables? or is it safe to delete some.? What is a good pgm to create disk backups from hi-res photos.? I use about 1000M of RAM, do I need more?
Sorry to be so scattered, just trying to work things out.

Thanks for all your help, you and your staff rock
gg66

gg66
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 25
Joined Joined : 2009-04-11
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 28021
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 23rd September 2009, 1:34 am

Actually, since your free space is so low, it is highly important to defragment the drive once a day to every 2 days, depending on how often used. That will keep your hard drive running smooth.

I recommend to use Defraggler, by Piriform. See if you can do some good work with it:

Please download Defraggler from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click to install, and follow prompts, until Finish.
  • Then, start the program, and click the Analyze button towards the bottom left.
  • Then, click the File list tab in the middle of the screen, or click on the View Files button.
  • Select all of the checkboxes, by clicking the empty white box to the left of the Filename tab label.
  • Lastly, click Defrag Checked.

This should finish quickly, depending on the amount of fragmentation. For most drives, it takes 10 minutes for 20% fragmentation. Do this for all drives you have to keep them healthy.

If you would like to run the program on a schedule, please do the following:
  • Click the Settings menu tab, then click Options.
  • While in the options window, click the Schedule tab.
  • Select the drive you wish to scan often, then select the checkbox [ ]Schedule defragmentation for chosen volume.
  • Choose the schedule, then click OK.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile