HI IM NEW HERE..... PLEASE NEED HELP!!!!1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HI IM NEW HERE..... PLEASE NEED HELP!!!!1

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 5:32 pm

HI I HAVE A DESKTOP COMPUTER AND HAVE WINDOWS XP ..... WAS RUNNING GOOD UNTIL THE LAST WEEK WHEN THE NORTON ANTIVIRUS EXPIRED AND THE I TRIED TO UPGRADED SO I REMOVED THE EXPIRED VERSION AND TRIED TO DOWNLOAD A DIFFERENT ONE BUT AFTER THAT WHEN I RESTARTED A SCREEN POP OUT THAT SAID SOMETHING LIKE WIN32K.SYS:2 DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY TO DISK......... DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONAL.......... AND SCANNED FROM 1 TO 100 AND SHOT IT DOWN...... NOW WHAT I GET ITS ONLY THE WINDOWS XP START UP SCREEN AND MY BACKGROUND PICTURE...... NO ICONS NO START BAR NOTHING ELSE........ PLEASE I HOPE THAT AN EXPERT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS.... THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

ORIOLI
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 8
Joined Joined : 2009-09-13
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 26470
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI IM NEW HERE..... PLEASE NEED HELP!!!!1

Post by Dr Jay on 13th September 2009, 6:18 pm

Hi

Download and install [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Posts Posts : 14314
Joined Joined : 2009-09-06
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 10 Home & Pro
Arch. Arch. : x64 (64-bit)
Protection Protection : Bitdefender Total Security
Points Points : 302999
# Likes # Likes : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 6:31 pm

hi thanks for your response .... how do i download EVEREST if i cant open the explorer? how do i open the explorer? ......

ORIOLI
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 13th September 2009, 6:39 pm

Hi

Do you have access to another computer with a CD burner?

Avira AntiVir Rescue System is a Linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore.
  • Download The Avira AntiVir Rescue System from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
  • Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD.
  • Then please use that CD/DVD with Avira Rescue System to boot your computer.
You'll get a boot option to either boot from hard drive or AntiVir Rescue System.

Press the number 2 on your keyboard to boot into AntiVir Rescue System.

Please wait until drivers are loaded and Main menu shows. Then please select the second option “Scan your system with AntiVir” and hit Enter.

Under Configuration, please select Scan all files, Try to repair infected files and Rename files if they cannot be removed?.

Then please start the scan.

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System wil now

• repair a damaged system,
  • rescue data,
  • scan the system for virus infections.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 6:41 pm

yes a laptop from where i sending u messages.....

ORIOLI
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 13th September 2009, 6:48 pm

Please use that and tell me the results when you have completed the scan of the infected system.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 7:06 pm

DOWNLOAD IT BURN,, IT AND PUT IT IN TRAY REBOOT IT AND NOTHING STILL THE SAME.........

ORIOLI
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 13th September 2009, 7:22 pm

You placed it in to the infected machine?

Place the cd in infected machine, When the infected machine boots up, press F12 immediately, and select CD drive.

If the infected machine does not enter the rescue system properly, then it was not installed correctly on to the CD. Try the burn again, if so.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 7:44 pm

AFTER THAT SCREEN IT WONT DO ANY FROM THE COMMAND SCREEN JUST RROT@RESCUESYSTEM:/#

ORIOLI
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Jay on 13th September 2009, 7:52 pm

Hi

I am going to ask another expert to assist me here. Please wait until he/she replies.

Dr. Jay (DJ)

Dr Jay
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 8:23 pm

CHECK THIS THIS GUY HAD THE SAME PROBLEM EVERYTHING ITS THE SAME THAT ITS HAPPENING ON MY COMPUTER...... CHECK THE LINK.

More: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I TRIED AND NOTHING HAPPEN EITHER ... TRY TO UPDATE THE ANTIVIR AND THIS COULDN'T CHECK FOR AN UPDATE...... DAMN THIS IS KILLING ME....

ORIOLI
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ORIOLI on 13th September 2009, 8:25 pm

I DONT KNOW IF YOU COULD OPEN THE LINK BUT THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS.........

Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.
Computer Hope

* Home
* Free help
* Contact
* Links
* Tips
* Dictionary
* Forums

Computer Hope Forum Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 13, 2009, 01:57:26 PM
Home Help Staff Chat Login Register
News: Help find cures for human diseases. Join the Computer Hope F@H team.

Computer Hope Forums >> Microsoft >> Microsoft Windows >> Windows XP >> Topic: explorer.exe not loading 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [All] - (Bottom) Print
Author Topic: explorer.exe not loading (Read 300 times)
buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

explorer.exe not loading
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »
I have a computer that only loads to wallpaper and mouse pointer. The desktop icons and task bar are not visible. I can hit control, alt, del and look at the processes and applications running and explorer.exe is not listed. I can see the contents of the hard drive by telling it I want to open a new application. I think the computer has infections, but I can't get any of the anti-virus or spyware removal programs to load because of explorer.exe not running. I have tried to start it manually, and I get the following error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I have tried in normal mode and in safe mode, both with the same results. Safe mode boots the same as normal mode. In both boot methods, I am logging in as admin. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chris (buddyclm)
smeezekitty
Newcomer

Experience: Familiar

Re: explorer.exe not loading
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
sounds like explorer.exe is actually missing
do you have your windows xp cd?
Acer extensa 463oz
2 gb ram
160gb hdd
2ghz processor
and desk fan sitting next to it for cooling Smiley
buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
It is a HP that has a restore partition. Explorer.exe file is in the windows folder.
smeezekitty
Newcomer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
try CTL+ALT+DEL
and FILE->new task
type C:\windows\explorer
press enter
it should come back
Acer extensa 463oz
2 gb ram
160gb hdd
2ghz processor
buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
smeezekitty, please refer back to the original post. When I try that I get the following message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
Allan
Adviser

Experience: Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
If you think your system is infected you need to boot to a bootable AV cd and run a scan at boot (you can download and create one if you don't own one). Worst case, you can boot to your XP Cd and either:

1) Do a repair install if you don't think it's a virus (but if it is you'll have the same issue) or
2) Format and reinstall. The format will eliminate the malware.
Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
patio
Genius

Computer: Specs
Experience: Guru

Maud' Dib

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
Infected.

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.

dahlarbear
Adviser

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:22:13 PM »
1. Safe Mode with command prompt. Can you boot to this mode from the Windows Advanced Options menu which may be accessed by tapping F8 function key once or twice per second immediately after POST completes and screen flashes black prior to displaying Windows XP logo with progress bar during system startup?

2. Bootable AntiVirus CD. Avira AntiVir Rescue System, may be found here.

There are two links: the "exe" icon will automatically burn the CD and the "iso" CD icon requires you to manually initiate the burn to CD.

I assume it's "free" for home personal use. There are other tools out there, but I don't have their links handy.

From the link:
Avira AntiVir Rescue System

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

If your system has a working NIC, it is possible to update both the program and virus defs prior to running a scan. Comes up in German. Click British flag lower left corner for English. While I've played with it several times, did not have an infected system; so not fully checked out on it.

buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
I created the Avira AntiVir Rescue System and put it in the computer and all I get is a line that says root@rescuesystem:# and I can't get past that. Any ideas?
smeezekitty
Newcomer

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
its a stupid linux shell
try boot
or avira or scan
Acer extensa 463oz
2 gb ram
160gb hdd
2ghz processor
buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:43:42 PM »
it will only let you put in a number.

I copied explorer.exe off of another computer and renamed it zexplorer.exe and changed the registry to look for zexplorer.exe and I now have desktop icons and taskbar, however, when I go into device manager there is no hardware listed no matter what options I try and I can't get online, and I can't get any virus or spyware programs to run. I got Malware bytes to install by changing the name of the install file from something other tham mbam install. Any other ideas as to how to get it to do a scan?
dahlarbear
Adviser

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
Quote from: buddyclm on August 31, 2009, 09:04:49 PM
I created the Avira AntiVir Rescue System and put it in the computer and all I get is a line that says root@rescuesystem:# and I can't get past that. Any ideas?
Quote from: buddyclm on August 31, 2009, 09:43:42 PM
it will only let you put in a number.

1. Say What? It's supposed to boot from CD into a GUI program. The only time I see anything similar to your command prompt "root@rescuesystem:#" is when I choose the "Commandline" button from the main GUI Window. This gives me a warning that I'm about to enter command window and must hit "ALT-F7" key combination if I wish to later return to GUI window. Once in command window, I see command prompt string "root@RescueSystem:/#".

Perhaps it would be best to practice on a "working" system.

2. Old Startup Tutorial. Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD.

3. Avira Tools Forum. Avira Tools - Support Forum

4. Boot Sequence. This is my personal observations of successful boot sequence of a 30 June 2009 Avira Rescue System CD.

When I startup with bootable rescue system CD in CD-ROM drive, I see following text screen display:

ISOLINUX 3.10 0X4316D966

AVIRA AnitVir Rescue System v3.6.9-20090630184356
30.06.2009 18:44:07

* Boot Options
* 1 Boot AntiVir Rescue System (default)
* 2 Boot from first Hard Drive
* Advanced users only:
* 3 AntiVir Rescue System ( 800 x 600 16 ) VGA=788
* 4 AntiVir Rescue System ( 1024 x 768 16 ) VGA=791
* 5 AntiVir Rescue System VGA=ask

boot: 1

then I see:
Loading VMlinuz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Loading initrd.gz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ready.

then display goes black for several seconds and a Penquin (~ 2 by 2 inches) appears for several seconds, top left corner of display.

The Avira AntiVir Rescue CD main GUI screen appears covering entire display. Basically has left-hand navigation pane and right hand program/ data pane. Two flags displayed bottom left corner, German and British. Click on British flag if you prefer English language display. This screen will show activity as it loads program and virus defs into memory and mounts devices. I believe it will also attempt internet access to update program and virus defs if not current. When done says something like "AntiVir successfully updated itself".

Is this what you see or are you booting straight to a command prompt?
alecsillidan
Rookie

Experience: Experienced

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »
Hi, try moving the explorer.exe with the cut option in system32 or somewhere else and watch if a new explorer.exe appears in your %windir% (It should be replaces with a fresh copy). If it's replaced with a new copy, run it and see it explorer starts now, if not u got a corrupt explorer or reg errors. Try placing the explorer.exe I uploaded in ur windows. Grin
dahlarbear
Adviser

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:47 AM »
1. Left Hand Navigation Pane Buttons(of AntiVir Rescue System CD main GUI Screen).

AntiVir
Virus Scanner
Configuration
Update

Information
Readme

Miscellaneous
Comandline
Shutdown

2. AntiVir -> Virus Scanner button. Window to initiate a scan and show current scan status. I believe CTRL-C key sequence may be used to terminate current scan. STOP Scan button probably works to. Start Scan button located lower left of right hand window pane, although I believe it will automatically start.

3. AntiVir -> Configuration button may be used to configure the scan. You may select a subtree of devices or directories to scan. I believe default is to scan all mounted media devices, in a read-only reporting mode. You may change this radio button to "Remove infected files" or "Try to repair infected files". Never ran on an infected system so not sure of its behavior.

4. AntiVir -> Update may be used to attempt internet update of program and virus definitions prior to running a scan. Successfully done when you see "AntiVir successfully updated itself.

5. Miscellaneous -> Commandline gives access to command screen mode. Use ALT-F7 key combination to return back to this GUI screen.

6. Miscellaneous -> Shutdown. Use this button to shutdown the system gracefully.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:20:57 PM by dahlarbear » Logged
buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
dahlarbear, I put the cd I made into another computer and it automatically booted into the gui. I put the cd back in the machine with problems, and I pick option 1, I get the penguin for a few seconds and then I get the screen with root@rescuesystem:# and above that it says to press alt F7 to return to the gui. I hit alt F7 but it doesn't do anything.
dahlarbear
Adviser

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
1. Time Out. You need a plan that's consistent with your objectives and how much risk you're willing to accept. If your "data" is important, you should back it up before proceeding. If you think you're "infected", and that seems to be the consensus; ComputerHope has special category "Computer viruses and spyware" you can post to. If you're willing to risk your current system installation and data, carry on.

Two things come to mind:
o Use AntiVir System Rescue CD boot to manually scan from "command prompt"
o Attempt "System Restore" from Windows command prompt.

2. Save Data. Slave hard drive to working computer and backup your data to disk or CD/DVDs. You could also run anti-malware scans from working computer.

3. Computer Viruses and Spyware Forum. See Computer Hope Virus and Spyware section Guidelines. I believe they only allow qualified people to respond/assist.

4. Avira AntiVir Rescue System. There's "good" news and "bad" news. The good news; you can do everything you need to do from the command prompt. This includes update program, virus defs, and scan for "infections". You can "record only", "remove", or "try to repair" infections. You can log results to the hard drive.

The bad news. It operates in a "Linux" environment with a German keyboard. So you'll be using Linux commands and searching for the correct keys. It's a very powerful scanner. You just have to learn how to use it.

a. Some useful keyboard keys and combinations:
(1) Suspend display output - Ctrl-s
(2) Resume display output - Ctrl-q
(3) for "/" use Shift-7
(4) for "-" use /
(5) for "=" use Shift-0 (zero)
(6) for "y" use z

Note: Backspace key seems to screw things up, so type carefully.

b. Sample command invocations:
(1) "antivir --help" to display command syntax and options.
(2) "antivir --update" to update program and virus defs.
(3) "antivir -s -ren /" to scan subdirectories, rename problem files, start at root directory.

5. System Restore. You indicated you have access to windows explorer now. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. Hopefully the System Restore GUI will start. If you have a restore point that predates your "troubles", it might load a registry that has no knowledge or startup entries for the "bad boys". Again, if your data is important; SAVE it before mucking with the system.
buddyclm
Topic Starter
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
dahlarbear, thanks for your help. I finally gave up on the computer and wiped out the hard drive. Something on it was blocking the AntiVir System Rescue CD from running properly. I tried the same cd in 2 other computers and it worked just fine, brought up the gui like it was supposed to.
dahlarbear
Adviser

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »
Okay. Sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for playing along...
--dahlarbear
Pages: 1 2 [All] - (Top) Print
Computer Hope Forums >> Microsoft >> Microsoft Windows >> Windows XP >> Topic: explorer.exe not loading « previous next »
Jump to:

Login with username, password and session length

Old Forum Search | Forum Rules
Copyright 1998-2008 by Computer Hope (tm). All rights reserved