Connection problem

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Connection problem

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 10:36 pm

I have an incoming connection? Oh, yeah, if I go to "network connections" I do have a "incoming connections" "thingy". Is that the villain? I wonder how that connection was established in the first place...

I have edited the registry on the computer before, once, so I am not comfortable with it at all Indifferent or Blank, and I kind of look like this right now: Can't Believe It. However, if you give me a step by step "guide", I think I can manage, if it isn't an "overly-complex" maneuver so to speak. Hmm I guess you could post a guide, and if I feel that I can manage it, I will give it a go. If I feel that it is a too complicated maneuver, I will let you know and we can do it together in the live chat instead Smile

By the way, what time is it at your place right now?

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 75
Joined Joined : 2009-03-24
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 28447
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 3:55 pm

Hannes, this whole thing truly makes me think that what we're dealing with here is a serious misconfiguration, both of your computer & router, left from the days of an old dell & an old broadband connection. It looks to me as though the computer were once either connected to a vpn or somehow remotely connected to a network (did u ever live on campus, for example?) This is what it looks like to me.

I will guide u in disabling wins proxy in the registry, but will quickly add 2 things:
a) I'm not at all sure it'll help, though it won't hurt & will clear up 1 more problem; &
b) If u don't feel comfortable doing this, by all means let's get on skype or teamtalk or geekpolice private chat & we can do this. I guess, however, it's now time to tell u something else about me I didn't think was important to mention but it might be now. I'm totally blind now, & my computer talks to me. I don't know how useable the geek police private chat is with my software that makes my computer talk. I know I can successfully use text chat or voice chat in both teamtalk & skype, but I've not tried the geek police private chat. Sometimes these chat programs work just fine with my software--at other times, it's totally unuseable. & I never know. But this has been a difficult enough process for u & I don't want u to become further frustrated & I definitely don't want to make a mistake by not responding correctly to something u asked me because my screenreader isn't working w/the chat software.

Here's how to disable wins proxy, in case u feel up to it.
1) Click start, click run, type regedit, & click ok. I like to maximize the window but that's up to u. I do it because it makes seeing the status line easier, which is something you'll need to look at.
2) At this point, you're in the my computer key. U can tell that by looking at the status line at the bottom of the regedit screen. If u cannot see the status line, click view & make sure that status bar is checked.
3) Click the plus sign to open my computer if it isn't already.
4) Click the + sign to open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
5) Click the + sign to open system.
6) Click the + sign to open CURRENT_CONTROL_SET
7) Click the + sign to open Services
8) At this point, you're in a very large list. Type an n to move to the keys beginning w/n & scroll down till u find Netbt.
8) Click the + sign & highlight parameters.
9) the parameter we're looking for is EnableProxy
10) Double click it, & make the 2 a 0.

Because u have this incoming connection & wins proxy enabled, I seriously thought u had a vpn running on that machine, which is why I asked u that previously. It's also why I'm asking u if u ever lived on campus & were connected to the university network. The more I look at this, the more I think that our problem is an old leftover configuration.

I need clarification about 1 additional point, however. When u start up your computer, go to control panel > system, click the hardware tab, click device manager, click network adapters, & tell me if there's any kind of red x or yellow ! by your realtech network card. If that's true, then your lan is not being detected, & resetting any network configuration settings won't help till we fix that. So I need to know if your lan card has a red x or yellow ! mark by it.

Keep in touch.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 89
Joined Joined : 2009-08-10
Gender Gender : Female
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 26951

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 3:59 pm

Hannes, 1 really important thing: back up your registry! Then create a restore point!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Create restore point by going to programs > accessories > system tools > system restore, then click create.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 5:18 pm

Hmm I did have a antoher broadband connection with my "dell computer", however I have never, as far as I know, been connected to a VPN and I have never lived on campus either. I plan, however to connect this computer to a VPN in the near future, but that is a different story. The strange thing is, if you are correct and my computer actually has been connected to a VPN (which very well could be the case), shouldn't I remember something like that? Gahh I need a new brain or something.

a) Sounds good to me Smile
b) You are blind? I would never have guessed that actually. I hope I am not bothering you too much Goofy By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how do you type? Do you use a regular keyboard and later have the computer "say" what you have written and correct it if a word for example "sound weird"?

Ok, it looks like I can manage that, I will give it a go. The guide looks great by the way.

Hmm, this is a mystery, and could make a great movie, with the right director. On second thought, maybe not. Hmm the thing is, as you know, I do have a VPN on the "riksdagen.se" computer, but that computer did not have wins proxy enabled last time I checked.

Ok, should I check this before or after the regedit "thingy"? By this I mean, to check if there are red or yellow marks by the side of my network card.

Bahh, I noticed that you need to have the windows XP cd to use ntbackup.exe, which of course is at home (and I won't be going home anytime soon, sadly). But maybe it would be enough, in this case, to "export" and save the "win proxy thingy" as a REG-file? Since I, at least plan, to only touch the "wins proxy" key?

Thank you for your help

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 5:56 pm

Hannes:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

Well, fortunately, I'm a good typist so I often know when I've made an error, but, yes, if a word is pronounced weird, then I check it. I also sometimes use a braille display, especially if I'm doing stuff that requires a good bit of concentration, e.g., forensics, programming, etc. Normally it isn't important, but, in a case like this where I feel I need to use software that's more friendly to a screenreader, then I let folks know. It's a major pain in the butt more than anything else lol. & it sure created a problem for me when my windows crashed & I had no way to tell what was happening & had to get some sighted help to read my screen. Normally I have a piece of equipment that can help me read a monitor but it's busted, too. Lol.

Hannes, was your dell ever connected to a vpn or anything? I'm really thinking this is where it might be coming from, e.g., settings left over from the old hard drive.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 7:27 pm

Thanks, you are like a wizard, I will try "erunt" out later tonight or early tomorrow Smile

Normally I have a piece of equipment that can help me read a monitor but it's busted
What kind of equipment is that?

Has my computer ever been connected to a VPN? Let me think My "dell computer" was connected to a router for a while at home, to create a LAN. When I hear the word VPN I instantly think of anonine or a service like that one. Then you maybe wonder, what is anonine? "To make it short, you connect to our VPN and get an ip assigned by us and surfs the internet via it" (from their FAQ). I have never used a service like that one though (even though I plan to). Since you still think I have used a VPN maybe, I have used/learned the term in a wrong way. I mean, if the term "VPN" also includes LAN networks, in that case I have used a VPN. So my question is, does the term "VPN" include LAN networks? If the answer to that question is yes, than I guess that I need to "relearn" that term Smile

Thanks

Last edited by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:01 pm

That was interesting... I managed to change the number to a zero, then I restarted the computer, and now it has changed itself back to number "two" again. So it is still activated... Any ideas?

oh, almost forgot, there are no red x or yellow ! by the network card

I seriously need some beer now! I almost had a heartattack while I was using regedit Goofy

--------------------

IP-konfiguration för Windows

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : Hannes

Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :

Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd

IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

Söklista för DNS-suffix . . . . . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Ethernet-kort Anslutning till lokalt nätverk 2:

Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-84-6A-14

DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Ja

Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Ja

IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.244.13

Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.26.227.3

Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 25 september 2009 21:57:05

Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 25 september 2009 22:57:05

----------------------

Thank You!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 8:21 pm

Hannes, remove that incoming connection in your network connections (just highlight & press the delete key), remove the wins proxy as in the guide to editing the registry I gave previously, restart your machine, & try again.

A vpn allows u to connect securely to a private network over the internet. I do think that much of the problem lies in the fact that u had some kind of remote connection or somethin w/that dell, & the configuration is left over.

Do u perchance have your welcome letter from your ISP? What settings does it say u should have?

I translated your modem manual from them & it tells me something much different than what you've got.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:33 pm

Yep, I have my welcome letter, but it doesn't mention anything about "settings" really. What I could do is ask the support in case you want to know what settings I should have.

You translated a whole modem manual Shocking Whoa. Ok, that is interesting. What manual was that? Because they have different manuals, for different modems. The only manual I got from my ISP was a "how to install the phone and the modem properly guide", which also included a small FAQ.

Ok, I will try to delete the "incoming connection" then.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:48 pm

Ok, a quick update. I checked around on the "incoming connections" "thingy" and found that it had to do with a "direct paralell" (LPT1) connection. So, should I still delete it, or does this fact change your mind in any way? I personally, don't even know what kind of a connection it is, found this on wiki though: A parallel port, is also known as a printer port. So this connection has to do with a printer? *totally lost*. If you tell me to delete it I will, I just want to make sure that this information doesn't change your mind (or maybe you already knew?), since you told me before not to disable the printer port.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 9:22 pm

Hannes, kill the incoming connection. It's creating many problems. I got this manual from your isp's support website. It was the 5671 modem.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 9:36 pm

Haha, if you put it like that I will delete it Big Grin So, I will give you a report soon if I managed to turn off the wins proxy.

Do you mean this manual? http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/portal/wcmobject/document/pdf/privat/bredband/snabbmanual_bredband60.pdf If you are refering to that manual, what settings are we talking about here? Let me think

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 10:03 pm

You my friend... YOU MY FRIEND, YOU ARE A GODDESS. I can't believe this, we simply had to delete the "incomming connection" "thingy", because when I started the computer now the internet works Big Grin I haven't disabled the wins proxy however, do you think I should do that too? Yes, I can finally use my internet on startup. IT WORKS Big Grin What on earth did that "incomming connections" actually do there in the first place? And why did it "brutally murder" my internet connection? This, I will probably never know, or do you perhaps know the answer to these questions abletec? Regardless thank you for the support, I could never have done this without your help and you know it.

So what do we do now? Keep on going and disable wins proxy too? Or do we simply celebrate this remarkable victory, which you won for me? Or do we push on for world domination?

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 11:14 pm

If it works, Hannes, let's not fix it. I will call this resolved, but, obviously, u are welcome to reopen & contact me at any time should things go weird.

Go drink beer! Lol. I don't, btw, but I figured that's what most college students do. Actually I used to & then I had a little trouble w/cancer & decided I needed to take better care of myself & I'm doing wonderful now. So, it's nonalcoholic beer for the old lady lol. But I'm celebrating! That thing was runnin a print server & dial-in server & web server--something was goin' on w/the connection that used to be on the Dell.

The manual I was talking about was found under Kundservice, guider, Enkel svenska then Guide för att installera bredband. It says u can go into 192.168.1.1 & administer your router. No way will that work w/the settings you've got now. But if it's working, let's leave it alone. Cuz if we mess w/it, it's gonna mess every1 else up in the house, & they'll be mad at both of us.

Go party. Probably too late for that--it's almost 1 in the morning there, isn't it? We're 9 hours apart--you're ahead of me. Have a good weekend.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 11:33 pm

Ok, then we will call this case closed for now (and forever I hope Goofy).

Oh shit, so no beer for you then? Hmm, if you ever come by Sweden during the winter I will buy you some of this instead (Julmust): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPENBj2zo7w (almost as good as beer).

Ok, now i know. Well you can only do that if you make a "permanent IP-adress" (which I don't need really, and is that term, by the way, really correctly teanslated?). Otherwise you only go to 192.168.1.1 once, and that is to activate the broadband itself. At least that is how I understood it. I didn't however activate my broadband that way, since I had trouble with the post office (which hade the "codes" I needed in a letter), so I called my ISP and they activated my broadband during our conversation over the phone after I had explained the situation with the post office.

Yep, no party tonight Sad tearing Not tomorrow either actually, since I am going to have an examination in a couple of days. I guess I will celebrate our victory after that Smile

But seriously, thank you for all the help Smile

Thank You! and have a wonderful day. Now I seriously need some sleep, good night!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 26th September 2009, 12:49 am

Hannes, actually, that IP address in the manual is what the administrator uses to give commands to the router. & no, that's not just w/a fixed IP address--in fact, it's a rather common setup when dhcp is enabled. So obviously I was really questioning in my mind what was going on w/your setup there & I was being extremely cautious.

No1 in their right mind goes to Sweden in the winter. You'd come back w/no butt cuz u froze it off. I'd love to go over to Norway though--I still have some relatives over there, at least so I've been told. The pictures I've seen are beautiful. Course, I won't be able to see it now, but, still, I think I'd enjoy it a lot nonetheless. Sweden's just a stone's throw away. Maybe someday.

BTW, Hannes, I also noticed that you've got 2 antivirus programs up & both appear to have realtime file scanning active. U should disable 1. It'll slow your computer down a lot to have both w/their protection active.

What are u studying?

Good luck on your exam, good luck w/your studies, thanks for the pleasure of working w/u--you've been most cooperative & patient w/the process.

If u ever need help again, contact the mighty geek police! I'm truly glad we got it fixed. Sorry it took as long as it did--it was just a little hard getting a handle on what was really needed on your computer & what was left over from the dell. Once I realized u really didn't need the incoming connection, I was comfortable telling u to nuke it. I also think doing so disabled wins proxy automatically.

Have a good weekend. Get some shut-eye.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 26th September 2009, 10:39 am

Oh, yeah... You're right, sorry Goofy I did send them a mail, however, and they told me that I should ignore "giving command to the router, through that IP-address" after the internet connection was active.

Haha, well if you think that you will freeze to death in Sweden, I would not really recommend Norway Goofy

Two anti-virus programs? Gahh, for real? On this computer I have Avira, SUPERAntispyware, and Malewarebyte's. I am 100% positive that I only have one anti-virus program. Do you know what programs the realtime file scanners in question originate from?

Philosophy

Thanks Big Grin It's been a pleasure to work with you too! Smile

The same to you Smile

Thank You!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 26th September 2009, 3:15 pm

Hannes, Belarc says you've got personal antivir & avg free version 8.5 running w/both realtime protection active. It generally tends to be right about these kinds of things, so I'd check if I were u.

Yes, well, if I go to Scandinavia, it will be in the summer so I can get out of the 40 degrees celcius heat here where I live & not quite freeze my butt off there.

Good luck on that exam. I'm sure you'll do well. & if u ever need us, come back. I'd certainly gladly work w/u again, cuz u were very cooperative & patient & cool. I do advise that the next time u get a new computer, u back up your data from the old 1 & nuke its windows installation. That way, u start out w/a clean slate, w/o unnecessary hardware calls in the registry & especially without program calls such as to a recovery program, an antivirus program, or a connection that no longer exists. In addition to burdening down the registry & slowing things up, it can obviously cause problems because it's hard to be aware of what's running. U only think about what u installed on the new computer & don't really think about the fact that the old computer might be calling stuff u don't need. I think we've hopefully got some of that stuff cleaned out now.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2