Connection problem

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Connection problem

Post by HannesM on 22nd September 2009, 8:26 pm

Hello,

My wireless is enabled? :O How is that even possible? Let me think I have not used any wireless connections on this computer... But now that you mention it, I do have something at network connections that is called "incomming connections". I have no idea what it is doing there though. Should I delete it? Can't find any way to actually, simply, disable it for some reason.

I can't find anything by the name of "broadcom" in device manager. I do however have broadcom control suit installed for some reason... Hmm... Oh, I just realized that I may have missed to tell you something important (please don't kill me Indifferent or Blank). I bought the computer I have right now after the computer I had before it, crashed. I did however manage to save my harddrive from the computer that crashed. Then I bought the new computer, and connected the old harddrive to it, so I still use the old harddrive "so to speak". The point here is that the harddrive I use once had other network card "drivers" installed on it (since the computer that crashed had a different network card). Could this have something to do with the problem? I did not tell you this because my internet connections have worked fine on the new computer, with the new network card, until I moved here and tried to use "this broadband".

Nope, I don't even have a printer. I guess I should disable it? And I guess you do it there --> control panel > system > hardware tab, device manager, "Ports", "Printer Port" (is that the correct term in english?)

Thanks

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 75
Joined Joined : 2009-03-24
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 28427
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 22nd September 2009, 8:49 pm

O, my dear lord, yeah, important wasn't the word for it lol. Ahem. Right.

Ok, Hannes, here's what I'd like for u to do. Go to 1 of your other computers in the house, (not the 1 you're having trouble with), click start, run, type cmd, then ipconfig /all > other.txt at the prompt. Send me the other.txt file, & let me see what those settings look like. I have a feeling this explains *a lot*!

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 89
Joined Joined : 2009-08-10
Gender Gender : Female
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 26931

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 22nd September 2009, 9:38 pm

You would think that you would remember these things (like networkcard swapping) when it actually matters, when for instance the kind "trial advisor" at the geekpolice, abletec, is trying to help you in his own freetime, but for some damn reason it did not even cross my mind :S I seriously need to configure my brain or something Goofy Anyway, Sorry about that!

I have sent you the "other.txt file" via p.m.

Thanks

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 22nd September 2009, 10:34 pm

No problem, Hannes. I'm lookin at the log now. Lol. Could u translate "frånkopplat"?

is riksdagen.se the name of your last ISP?
R u runnin a virtual private network there?
Does 1 computer have to be on all the time for all your others to connect to the internet or can they connect independently?
I assume the 1 u ran the ipconfig command on this last time has no issues connecting, right?

I'd like for u to uninstall that lan suite software. I'd also like for u to try this on both computers, the 1 that's connected & the 1 you're havin trouble with when connection isn't active:
click start, run, type cmd, then type
ping 85.227.240.1
What do u get?

Lots of stuff here--sorry.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 22nd September 2009, 11:04 pm

Frånkopplad = Disconnected

Riksdagen.se - Well, it is my friends "work" computer (a computer the company/or whatever you work for, give you) and riksdagen.se is the "provider" of the computer, if you understand what I mean.

The computer does have a VPN, but it was not connected to the VPN when I wrote the "command".

They can connect independently

Nope, no issues what so ever.

Ok, I will uninstall the broadcom suite software and try that command. I will give you a report tomorrow. Now I need some sleep.

Thanks

By the way, about the print server, I can disable that one right? control controlpanel > system > hardware tab, device manager, "Ports", "Printer Port".

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 22nd September 2009, 11:15 pm

So I starten broadcom advanced suit, and it says that there are no broadcom-networkcards in the computer and the program asks if I want to uninstall it. I click yes. And then... Gahh, it says that it can't start the "uninstallationprogram". Hmm... So I tried to uninstall it through add/remove programs, and crossed my fingers, and from there it worked. *Yippie*

I will try the command tomorrow.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 23rd September 2009, 1:48 am

No, let's not disable the printer port or u won't be able to print. When u got your new broadband, did it come w/software? Cuz I think that's where that's coming from.

Get some sleep. I really need some too.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 23rd September 2009, 2:44 pm

Ok. It did not come with the software actually, but let's keep it Big Grin

I have sent you the "ip thingy" via pm.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 23rd September 2009, 7:46 pm

Ok, Hannes, it's as I figured--the machine's not finding the default gateway.

Let me do this--this has become a little confusing after all the correspondences. Let's see if I can't pull this together, have a good close look at everything right in a row, as it were, & then get back w/u as to why that's happening. I'm finding it very confusing in terms of figuring out which network cards are connected,which are not, as well as determining precisely what the setup actually is. The fact that there is a virtual private network involved isn't helping my cause, either.

What we may eventualy need to do is take the virtual private network down, set the computers up according to your ISP's instructions, & then re-setup the vpn. But I admit to u that as a former doctor, who was taught always to follow the saying "first do no harm", I am being extremely cautious & conservative in my approach.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 23rd September 2009, 8:00 pm

Ok good luck with that Big Grin

The only network card that is connected is: Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabir Ethernet NIC, but I guess you already knew that.

However the VPN connection has nothing to do with this computer though (at least it should not have anything to do with this computer). There is only one computer in this apartment that is using a VPN (and that computer isn't here at the moment, it will be back in a day or so). And that computer is my friends, who uses the VPN connection for work.

If I can help you with anything, if there is anything that needs to be "cleared out", so to speak, please ask and I will do my best finding you information. But since I am not a "tech-god" when it comes to networking I may need you to guide me Smile

Thanks

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 23rd September 2009, 8:47 pm

I think, in that case, I am gonna wait to do anything till I see what occurs. I think the broadcom might have been messin things up, & the fact that u had a new computer w/an old hard drive connected to it & irrelevant network cards trying to run might be the difficulty. It may also have changed settings. When your computer restarts, & if your internet connection is inactive, please do the start > run >cmd > ipconfig /all > ip1.txt again & send me the contents. I'd like to see if either the wins proxy or the ip routing is disabled.

What's very weird about this whole thing is that, while your broadband instructions state that u should be behind a router, it looks like all your computers are actually directly connected to the internet. That kind of poses somewhat of a security risk & I don't recall having seen a firewall, but I might not necessarily.

Obviously, if the computer restarts & the internet is active, then we have resolved the problem.

Let me know either way. I am really impressed by your ability to translate & follow instructions so well. I know that has to make it a lot harder for u, as I only have to translate a few words & it's not easy for me. So I can't even imagine how u do it, much less do it so well.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 23rd September 2009, 8:56 pm

O, never mind, looks like u managed to uninstall the broadcom program & it still starts up inactive. Am I correct?

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 23rd September 2009, 9:13 pm

Yep, it still starts up inactive.

As for the post before:

Hmm ok, let me try to explain this one (even though I am not really sure if it is an explanation, as I am not entirely sure what your question is). I have connected a LAN cable between this computer and a modem. Now the reason why I don't use a "firewall" (as in a router firewall) is because the company, which delivers the broadband, has given us "codes", as in, if you want to use my broadband (through for example a wireless connection), you have to specify a username and password. I guess that is standard in the US as well? The "broadband connection" is, according to my ISP safe, I do not need to protect it "more" (by for example getting a router). I am however thinking about getting either Outpost or Comodo firewall to protect my computer, but that is another story I guess. I have no idea if this actually answers your question, or if it simply raises new questions, or if it doesn't answer any question, but well well Goofy If you are interested, I could mail my ISP and ask how their protection "works" I guess.

Thanks for the compliment, even though I guess we are in different situations. Since in Sweden, you have to learn how to speak in english in school. Whereas in the US, you don't really need to learn how to speak Swedish. If you were referring to the Swedish words that you translated.

Here is a good Swedish - English dictionary, for free, if you ever need one: http://lexin2.nada.kth.se/swe-eng.html

Thanks

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 23rd September 2009, 9:48 pm

IP-konfiguration för Windows

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : Hannes

Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :

Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd

IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

Söklista för DNS-suffix . . . . . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Ethernet-kort Anslutning till lokalt nätverk 2:

Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-84-6A-14

DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Ja

Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Ja

IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.244.13

Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.54.122.198

Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 23 september 2009 23:35:47

Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 24 september 2009 00:35:47

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 23rd September 2009, 9:58 pm

Looks like wins proxy is still activated. As I still have no idea what wins proxy actually does, I started to browse the web for some information and found this among other things: http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/how-disable-wins-proxy-enabled-xp-home-114354.html He seems to have had a similiar problem, like the one I am experiencing, with the exception that I can't use the internet directly after startup, whereas he seems to have been able to use it for a while.
I don't know if that "find" actually will help us in any way, I am simply trying my best to find information Smile

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 24th September 2009, 1:22 pm

Well, again, Hannes, I may have more questions than answers (aren't u sick of me?) but what are the following for?:
1) Conexant Systems, Inc. - PRISM Wireless LAN Version 2.01.13.0013
2) Dell Inc. - USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Version 2.01.13.0013 (Alpha)
3) Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. - Mobile Connect HOST86.11.107.01.02.24

In your control panel > system > hardware > device manager > other devices, you've got a Kommunikationskabel mellan två datorer [Modem]. Is this your phone modem? Because it's obviously not working.

Also, please check & make certain your broadcom lan suite is in fact uninstalled because Belarc is still seeing it.

Do I understand correctly that you're a student at Stockholm University & that u live on campus & are connected to the university network?

Thanks for sending those logs clarifying which computers I was dealing with. That really helped get my thoughts organized. I'm glad they have a pm facility--I'd hate for every1 to be able to read peoples' private computer business.

O, yeah, & by the way, for whatever reason, 1 of my posts didn't go thru--the 1 where I told u I was Mrs. instead of Mr. Norway lol.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 3:09 pm

This topic has right now 368 views, when we are through with this we will be celebrities or something Big Grin Ok, here we go again:

1. I have no idea, at all, what that is actually... And when I check on wiki these guys are actually competitors with broadcom, what the hell? Goofy

Oh found this process on my computer: PRISMVR.exe and found this: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/prismsvr.exe.html Which seems to say that it belongs to dells wireless cards, which wouldn't be surprising since the old computer (the one that crashed) was a dell actually (the last time I will ever buy one of those). So, this should be killable I guess, (since I don't have a dell wireless). It should not have any purpose...

2. That was a wireless usb 2.0 "thingy" I got from dell when I bought the computer. Should not have any purpose on this computer either. Since I have never used it since the dell computer crashed.

3. That is a "usb modem", which I only use when I move the computer around, and need a connection.

Hmm where is that one? Do you mean control panel > system > hardware > device manager >modem >kommunikationskabel mellan två datorer? That should be the LAN cable that connects my computer to the modem, yes. Hmm it isn't working? Then how can I use the internet at all? And when I click on it in the device manager it say's that there is nothing wrong with it. *confused*

Oh, I have not sent you a new belarc log actually, the one I sent you during the "organization" was the old one. I will send you a new one after this post.

This is getting stranger and stranger. Yes I am a student at SU but I don't live on campus, and I am not connected to the "university network". As in always connected at least (or am I wrong :S), I mean I can log on to the site and check around if I wish and use their "internet library". Hmm or maybe that means that I am connected to them after all.

Oh damn, sorry about that mr... I mean mrs.Norway Smile

Thank You! and have a nice day

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 3:25 pm

Hmm or maybe I won't send you a new belarc log, since I can't figure out how you create a new one? :S LMBO or ROFL

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 24th September 2009, 3:58 pm

This computer is not a dell? Seriously? O, wow, damn! It had so much dell stuff on there I truly believed it was. Holy @#$%! Well, I mean, even your homepage was dell. this leftover stuff on your old hard drive is not helping our cause any at all. So what is this machine? Custom-built? Man, I feel so lost now I don't even think God can find me. Wow! Geez bees!

1) Kill the wireless stuff--all of it.
2) Kill everything having to do w/dell in add/remove programs & then restart.
3) Is your internet connection active?
4) If not, go to control panel > system, click on hardware, press device manager, look in other devices. If you've got something there, highlight it & hit your delete key. Answer yes to confirm, then restart.

Where are we at this point?

Hannes, just delete your old belarc log & run the advisor again to give a new 1.

What is very very weird about this whole thing is that your isp manual states that your ip address should actually look something like 192.168.0.something. Yours looks like 85.whatever... I'm hesitant to tear everything apart because it looks as though your other computers w/this same address configuration work ok. I really wanna see if killing this wireless stuff might help us.

Usually in a situation like this we can actually go into the router by clicking start, run, & typing http://192.168.0.1 & it brings up a webpage where it can be administered. Yours obviously won't work like that the way this is set up. This is getting weirder & weirder.

When we figure this out we'll have to throw a "fixed the network" party lol.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 4:37 pm

Ah, so you thought this was a dell. My homepage was dell? What homepage? This is custom-built, do you want to know the parts it consists of?

1. Ok, that means that I have to remove my usb 2.0 modem as well Sad tearing
2. Ok, so let's remove old "dell leftovers": dell system restore, dell driver reset tool, the wireless dell thingy and intel application accelerator. Hmm do you want me to remove for example cybelink power dvd as well (I "got" it from dell)? I might as well, since I don't use it.
3. Yes (I mean I use it, can it be inactive in that case?)
4. I still can't find anything in device manager by the name of "other devices" :S

I will give you a report soon.

Ok.

Then killing all the wireless stuff it is.

True, it does not work like that.

Haha why not Big Grin I wonder how you celebrate a "fixed the network party"... I hope there will be cake at least.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 5:15 pm

1. The wireless "thingies" are all gone.
2. I managed to delete the following dell leftovers: Dell driver reset tool (besides the wireless "thingies). The dell system restore can't be "removed" using add/remove programs for some reason. As for Intel application accelerator, and cyberlink power DVD, I realised that there was a reason why I haven't removed those before, they are troublesome to remove and I may loose other parts of the hdd as well, so I won't touch those.
3. Still inactive on startup
4. I still can't find that one

As for belarc, do you want me to delete the "belarc computer profile"? Because if I only delete the log, saved in temp, I get a new log as soon as I click on my belarc computer profile again.

Thank you

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 5:32 pm

Let me out of curiousity ask you this, extremely interesting question Big Grin: Have you ever had wins-proxy activated? If yes, what did you use it for?

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 24th September 2009, 6:18 pm

The cyberlink dvd is fine. But let's get rid of anything that says dell. & we celebrate a fixed network party w/lots & lots of beer lol.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 6:30 pm

I have pm:ed you a new belarc log Big Grin

Now, we only have one thing left to get rid of which reeks dell and that is: Dell OS Recovery CD Version, which for some reason can't be removed from add/remove programs... Hmm...

Sounds lika a great plan! Cheers Mate

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 24th September 2009, 9:50 pm

I've never had wins proxy activated. & I don't think u need it unless you're connected remotely to something. U have an incoming connection in your network connections aplet & that's where it's coming from.

Have u ever edited the registry before &, if yes, do u feel comfortable w/it? If not, Hannes, the geek police have a live chat we could probably use to do this together. As u know, editing the registry incorrectly can bring your computer down huge time. I've been doing this probably the majority of your life lol & I stil don't like editing the registry. I'm being extraordinarily conservative in my approach. If this had been my computer, I think I'd have configured it up like I said long ago. But since things for the most part seem to be working, I'm taking it slow.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 24th September 2009, 10:36 pm

I have an incoming connection? Oh, yeah, if I go to "network connections" I do have a "incoming connections" "thingy". Is that the villain? I wonder how that connection was established in the first place...

I have edited the registry on the computer before, once, so I am not comfortable with it at all Indifferent or Blank, and I kind of look like this right now: Can't Believe It. However, if you give me a step by step "guide", I think I can manage, if it isn't an "overly-complex" maneuver so to speak. Hmm I guess you could post a guide, and if I feel that I can manage it, I will give it a go. If I feel that it is a too complicated maneuver, I will let you know and we can do it together in the live chat instead Smile

By the way, what time is it at your place right now?

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 3:55 pm

Hannes, this whole thing truly makes me think that what we're dealing with here is a serious misconfiguration, both of your computer & router, left from the days of an old dell & an old broadband connection. It looks to me as though the computer were once either connected to a vpn or somehow remotely connected to a network (did u ever live on campus, for example?) This is what it looks like to me.

I will guide u in disabling wins proxy in the registry, but will quickly add 2 things:
a) I'm not at all sure it'll help, though it won't hurt & will clear up 1 more problem; &
b) If u don't feel comfortable doing this, by all means let's get on skype or teamtalk or geekpolice private chat & we can do this. I guess, however, it's now time to tell u something else about me I didn't think was important to mention but it might be now. I'm totally blind now, & my computer talks to me. I don't know how useable the geek police private chat is with my software that makes my computer talk. I know I can successfully use text chat or voice chat in both teamtalk & skype, but I've not tried the geek police private chat. Sometimes these chat programs work just fine with my software--at other times, it's totally unuseable. & I never know. But this has been a difficult enough process for u & I don't want u to become further frustrated & I definitely don't want to make a mistake by not responding correctly to something u asked me because my screenreader isn't working w/the chat software.

Here's how to disable wins proxy, in case u feel up to it.
1) Click start, click run, type regedit, & click ok. I like to maximize the window but that's up to u. I do it because it makes seeing the status line easier, which is something you'll need to look at.
2) At this point, you're in the my computer key. U can tell that by looking at the status line at the bottom of the regedit screen. If u cannot see the status line, click view & make sure that status bar is checked.
3) Click the plus sign to open my computer if it isn't already.
4) Click the + sign to open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
5) Click the + sign to open system.
6) Click the + sign to open CURRENT_CONTROL_SET
7) Click the + sign to open Services
8) At this point, you're in a very large list. Type an n to move to the keys beginning w/n & scroll down till u find Netbt.
8) Click the + sign & highlight parameters.
9) the parameter we're looking for is EnableProxy
10) Double click it, & make the 2 a 0.

Because u have this incoming connection & wins proxy enabled, I seriously thought u had a vpn running on that machine, which is why I asked u that previously. It's also why I'm asking u if u ever lived on campus & were connected to the university network. The more I look at this, the more I think that our problem is an old leftover configuration.

I need clarification about 1 additional point, however. When u start up your computer, go to control panel > system, click the hardware tab, click device manager, click network adapters, & tell me if there's any kind of red x or yellow ! by your realtech network card. If that's true, then your lan is not being detected, & resetting any network configuration settings won't help till we fix that. So I need to know if your lan card has a red x or yellow ! mark by it.

Keep in touch.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 3:59 pm

Hannes, 1 really important thing: back up your registry! Then create a restore point!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Create restore point by going to programs > accessories > system tools > system restore, then click create.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 5:18 pm

Hmm I did have a antoher broadband connection with my "dell computer", however I have never, as far as I know, been connected to a VPN and I have never lived on campus either. I plan, however to connect this computer to a VPN in the near future, but that is a different story. The strange thing is, if you are correct and my computer actually has been connected to a VPN (which very well could be the case), shouldn't I remember something like that? Gahh I need a new brain or something.

a) Sounds good to me Smile
b) You are blind? I would never have guessed that actually. I hope I am not bothering you too much Goofy By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how do you type? Do you use a regular keyboard and later have the computer "say" what you have written and correct it if a word for example "sound weird"?

Ok, it looks like I can manage that, I will give it a go. The guide looks great by the way.

Hmm, this is a mystery, and could make a great movie, with the right director. On second thought, maybe not. Hmm the thing is, as you know, I do have a VPN on the "riksdagen.se" computer, but that computer did not have wins proxy enabled last time I checked.

Ok, should I check this before or after the regedit "thingy"? By this I mean, to check if there are red or yellow marks by the side of my network card.

Bahh, I noticed that you need to have the windows XP cd to use ntbackup.exe, which of course is at home (and I won't be going home anytime soon, sadly). But maybe it would be enough, in this case, to "export" and save the "win proxy thingy" as a REG-file? Since I, at least plan, to only touch the "wins proxy" key?

Thank you for your help

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 5:56 pm

Hannes:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

Well, fortunately, I'm a good typist so I often know when I've made an error, but, yes, if a word is pronounced weird, then I check it. I also sometimes use a braille display, especially if I'm doing stuff that requires a good bit of concentration, e.g., forensics, programming, etc. Normally it isn't important, but, in a case like this where I feel I need to use software that's more friendly to a screenreader, then I let folks know. It's a major pain in the butt more than anything else lol. & it sure created a problem for me when my windows crashed & I had no way to tell what was happening & had to get some sighted help to read my screen. Normally I have a piece of equipment that can help me read a monitor but it's busted, too. Lol.

Hannes, was your dell ever connected to a vpn or anything? I'm really thinking this is where it might be coming from, e.g., settings left over from the old hard drive.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 7:27 pm

Thanks, you are like a wizard, I will try "erunt" out later tonight or early tomorrow Smile

Normally I have a piece of equipment that can help me read a monitor but it's busted
What kind of equipment is that?

Has my computer ever been connected to a VPN? Let me think My "dell computer" was connected to a router for a while at home, to create a LAN. When I hear the word VPN I instantly think of anonine or a service like that one. Then you maybe wonder, what is anonine? "To make it short, you connect to our VPN and get an ip assigned by us and surfs the internet via it" (from their FAQ). I have never used a service like that one though (even though I plan to). Since you still think I have used a VPN maybe, I have used/learned the term in a wrong way. I mean, if the term "VPN" also includes LAN networks, in that case I have used a VPN. So my question is, does the term "VPN" include LAN networks? If the answer to that question is yes, than I guess that I need to "relearn" that term Smile

Thanks

Last edited by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:01 pm

That was interesting... I managed to change the number to a zero, then I restarted the computer, and now it has changed itself back to number "two" again. So it is still activated... Any ideas?

oh, almost forgot, there are no red x or yellow ! by the network card

I seriously need some beer now! I almost had a heartattack while I was using regedit Goofy

--------------------

IP-konfiguration för Windows

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : Hannes

Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :

Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd

IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

Söklista för DNS-suffix . . . . . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Ethernet-kort Anslutning till lokalt nätverk 2:

Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-84-6A-14

DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Ja

Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Ja

IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.244.13

Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.26.227.3

Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 25 september 2009 21:57:05

Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 25 september 2009 22:57:05

----------------------

Thank You!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 8:21 pm

Hannes, remove that incoming connection in your network connections (just highlight & press the delete key), remove the wins proxy as in the guide to editing the registry I gave previously, restart your machine, & try again.

A vpn allows u to connect securely to a private network over the internet. I do think that much of the problem lies in the fact that u had some kind of remote connection or somethin w/that dell, & the configuration is left over.

Do u perchance have your welcome letter from your ISP? What settings does it say u should have?

I translated your modem manual from them & it tells me something much different than what you've got.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:33 pm

Yep, I have my welcome letter, but it doesn't mention anything about "settings" really. What I could do is ask the support in case you want to know what settings I should have.

You translated a whole modem manual Shocking Whoa. Ok, that is interesting. What manual was that? Because they have different manuals, for different modems. The only manual I got from my ISP was a "how to install the phone and the modem properly guide", which also included a small FAQ.

Ok, I will try to delete the "incoming connection" then.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 8:48 pm

Ok, a quick update. I checked around on the "incoming connections" "thingy" and found that it had to do with a "direct paralell" (LPT1) connection. So, should I still delete it, or does this fact change your mind in any way? I personally, don't even know what kind of a connection it is, found this on wiki though: A parallel port, is also known as a printer port. So this connection has to do with a printer? *totally lost*. If you tell me to delete it I will, I just want to make sure that this information doesn't change your mind (or maybe you already knew?), since you told me before not to disable the printer port.

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 9:22 pm

Hannes, kill the incoming connection. It's creating many problems. I got this manual from your isp's support website. It was the 5671 modem.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 9:36 pm

Haha, if you put it like that I will delete it Big Grin So, I will give you a report soon if I managed to turn off the wins proxy.

Do you mean this manual? http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/portal/wcmobject/document/pdf/privat/bredband/snabbmanual_bredband60.pdf If you are refering to that manual, what settings are we talking about here? Let me think

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 10:03 pm

You my friend... YOU MY FRIEND, YOU ARE A GODDESS. I can't believe this, we simply had to delete the "incomming connection" "thingy", because when I started the computer now the internet works Big Grin I haven't disabled the wins proxy however, do you think I should do that too? Yes, I can finally use my internet on startup. IT WORKS Big Grin What on earth did that "incomming connections" actually do there in the first place? And why did it "brutally murder" my internet connection? This, I will probably never know, or do you perhaps know the answer to these questions abletec? Regardless thank you for the support, I could never have done this without your help and you know it.

So what do we do now? Keep on going and disable wins proxy too? Or do we simply celebrate this remarkable victory, which you won for me? Or do we push on for world domination?

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 25th September 2009, 11:14 pm

If it works, Hannes, let's not fix it. I will call this resolved, but, obviously, u are welcome to reopen & contact me at any time should things go weird.

Go drink beer! Lol. I don't, btw, but I figured that's what most college students do. Actually I used to & then I had a little trouble w/cancer & decided I needed to take better care of myself & I'm doing wonderful now. So, it's nonalcoholic beer for the old lady lol. But I'm celebrating! That thing was runnin a print server & dial-in server & web server--something was goin' on w/the connection that used to be on the Dell.

The manual I was talking about was found under Kundservice, guider, Enkel svenska then Guide för att installera bredband. It says u can go into 192.168.1.1 & administer your router. No way will that work w/the settings you've got now. But if it's working, let's leave it alone. Cuz if we mess w/it, it's gonna mess every1 else up in the house, & they'll be mad at both of us.

Go party. Probably too late for that--it's almost 1 in the morning there, isn't it? We're 9 hours apart--you're ahead of me. Have a good weekend.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 25th September 2009, 11:33 pm

Ok, then we will call this case closed for now (and forever I hope Goofy).

Oh shit, so no beer for you then? Hmm, if you ever come by Sweden during the winter I will buy you some of this instead (Julmust): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPENBj2zo7w (almost as good as beer).

Ok, now i know. Well you can only do that if you make a "permanent IP-adress" (which I don't need really, and is that term, by the way, really correctly teanslated?). Otherwise you only go to 192.168.1.1 once, and that is to activate the broadband itself. At least that is how I understood it. I didn't however activate my broadband that way, since I had trouble with the post office (which hade the "codes" I needed in a letter), so I called my ISP and they activated my broadband during our conversation over the phone after I had explained the situation with the post office.

Yep, no party tonight Sad tearing Not tomorrow either actually, since I am going to have an examination in a couple of days. I guess I will celebrate our victory after that Smile

But seriously, thank you for all the help Smile

Thank You! and have a wonderful day. Now I seriously need some sleep, good night!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 26th September 2009, 12:49 am

Hannes, actually, that IP address in the manual is what the administrator uses to give commands to the router. & no, that's not just w/a fixed IP address--in fact, it's a rather common setup when dhcp is enabled. So obviously I was really questioning in my mind what was going on w/your setup there & I was being extremely cautious.

No1 in their right mind goes to Sweden in the winter. You'd come back w/no butt cuz u froze it off. I'd love to go over to Norway though--I still have some relatives over there, at least so I've been told. The pictures I've seen are beautiful. Course, I won't be able to see it now, but, still, I think I'd enjoy it a lot nonetheless. Sweden's just a stone's throw away. Maybe someday.

BTW, Hannes, I also noticed that you've got 2 antivirus programs up & both appear to have realtime file scanning active. U should disable 1. It'll slow your computer down a lot to have both w/their protection active.

What are u studying?

Good luck on your exam, good luck w/your studies, thanks for the pleasure of working w/u--you've been most cooperative & patient w/the process.

If u ever need help again, contact the mighty geek police! I'm truly glad we got it fixed. Sorry it took as long as it did--it was just a little hard getting a handle on what was really needed on your computer & what was left over from the dell. Once I realized u really didn't need the incoming connection, I was comfortable telling u to nuke it. I also think doing so disabled wins proxy automatically.

Have a good weekend. Get some shut-eye.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannesM on 26th September 2009, 10:39 am

Oh, yeah... You're right, sorry Goofy I did send them a mail, however, and they told me that I should ignore "giving command to the router, through that IP-address" after the internet connection was active.

Haha, well if you think that you will freeze to death in Sweden, I would not really recommend Norway Goofy

Two anti-virus programs? Gahh, for real? On this computer I have Avira, SUPERAntispyware, and Malewarebyte's. I am 100% positive that I only have one anti-virus program. Do you know what programs the realtime file scanners in question originate from?

Philosophy

Thanks Big Grin It's been a pleasure to work with you too! Smile

The same to you Smile

Thank You!

HannesM
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on 26th September 2009, 3:15 pm

Hannes, Belarc says you've got personal antivir & avg free version 8.5 running w/both realtime protection active. It generally tends to be right about these kinds of things, so I'd check if I were u.

Yes, well, if I go to Scandinavia, it will be in the summer so I can get out of the 40 degrees celcius heat here where I live & not quite freeze my butt off there.

Good luck on that exam. I'm sure you'll do well. & if u ever need us, come back. I'd certainly gladly work w/u again, cuz u were very cooperative & patient & cool. I do advise that the next time u get a new computer, u back up your data from the old 1 & nuke its windows installation. That way, u start out w/a clean slate, w/o unnecessary hardware calls in the registry & especially without program calls such as to a recovery program, an antivirus program, or a connection that no longer exists. In addition to burdening down the registry & slowing things up, it can obviously cause problems because it's hard to be aware of what's running. U only think about what u installed on the new computer & don't really think about the fact that the old computer might be calling stuff u don't need. I think we've hopefully got some of that stuff cleaned out now.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next